Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jan 2001, 06:09 (Ref:57968)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and he shall..after campaining his ageing VP/VS commodore for almost 4 years Paul ramano seems to be getting a brand new car for 2001...a HRT VT of all things..and about time too...Bap Ramano has finally taken the plunge and given paul the car to show his ability..and they plan to go to a 2 car team for 2002...about time ..i think Paul is a pretty good driver..remember 1995 when he came onto the scene (in the car he was still driving last year) straight from HQ's and was brilliant ..and then he joined Alan Jones Packleader team but always seemed to struggle before going back to his own team and showing the occasional turn of speed ...but everything fell in a hole last year when the car lept falling apart on him and he failed to even score a single point all year..

Well done Bap on finally giving your son a chance at showing what he can do ..all paul has to do now is deliever the goods....can he ???
Old 11 Jan 2001, 11:19 (Ref:57988)   #2
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goody!!! Another car for Paul to put some more dents in
Old 12 Jan 2001, 10:05 (Ref:58130)   #3
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hoffy ,I agree. That means now he has an exhrt vt grid positions upto about the top 15 need to keep an eye out for him to now i suppose. Just another kid whose dad has got too much money.
Old 12 Jan 2001, 11:35 (Ref:58136)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mount,

Not so sure he can be dismissed so easily. Certainly, his Dad is richer than mine was however. Or else he has the Prince of bank managers and he LOVES his son.

How did Paul get the Allan Jones gig. Did he buy his way in?
Old 12 Jan 2001, 23:47 (Ref:58241)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Moff,
From what i can remember he got the jones drive by handing over somewhere around the $250000. That was the figure i was told by the members of another v8 supercar team.
AJ doesnt pay for anything.When he had that formula ford team everyone had to pay for the drive(except christian).Thats why Darren pate left, because he was sick of handing over money and not getting very far.
Old 13 Jan 2001, 04:50 (Ref:58260)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At $250,000 Paul was financing his own ride but with AJ's team. No wonder a privateer Commodore looked good value for money. At least you have something to sell at the end of the season.
Old 13 Jan 2001, 13:36 (Ref:58289)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeh but thats been the biggest problem..Noone wanted to buy the damm thing..im sure it is destined to sit in his shed and rust away..I think he will do better this year...we know the car will be good and i believe Paul is a better driver than he has shown over the past 2 years..he just needs to be motivated more..and now with a HRT VT ..that should be pretty good motivation for anyone.
Old 14 Jan 2001, 00:38 (Ref:58380)   #8
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
From what I have heard though,He is only getting a HRT rolling shell. No motor or gearbox.That means the old engine and box in a new car.
Moff you would know how to build one of those wouldnt you?
9the vitamin eb)
Old 14 Jan 2001, 01:47 (Ref:58392)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the guy has 32 top 10 finishes in his career, so he aint the worst driver about. Remember Hidden Valley 1998, he was set to win the round half way through race 3, but of course luck wasn't on his side.

Give him a go in a decent car, the old blue thing would have to be as soft as fluffy bunny, I'm certain Lowndsey couldn't get any pace out of it...
Old 14 Jan 2001, 07:31 (Ref:58401)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Mount,

Not a problem, let's see now the answer used to be a 351 Clevland with roller rockers, shaved, ported head, big cam and a Holley four barrel. Easy isn't it! Shame about the regulations.

Crash,

I would agree Paul is no slouch and did well for a young gun when with Jones (ie. in a decent car).

Old 16 Jan 2001, 11:14 (Ref:58794)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm amazed by the success Romano has had in V8s, he was rather unimpressive when I used to watch him in HQs. I guess it just goes to show how different the classes are and how success or failure in one class isn't necessarily a good form guide for another class.