Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jun 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2907751)   #26
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I think the Chevron B36 gave rise to a number of cars

-the second Sthemo
-Thibault's red blob ROC (which looked better in its original white)
-the Isolia
-the Fortina-Lancia

But I seem to remember the history of these cars is a bit blurred.

(The first Sthemo IIRC was a rebodied Toj.)
Old 29 Jun 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2907758)   #27
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddsc View Post
Re old DSC stuff, it was the first year of DSC that was lost - because we'd been promised that it was all backed up, but it wasn't. Prior to that, sportscarworld went west when I lost the domain to a Texan, but I've still got old hard drives here... I'll make an effort to find out what's on them.
Incidentally, that Texan died last year...
A bit OT but what happened to Cybersdorf? I recall he was very active on the DSC and sportscarworld forums during that time.

I seem to recall at least one V6 Jag dropping down from C1 to C2, driven by the Formula ford guy whose name eludes me at the moment, but he won the FF festival when quite old.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2907762)   #28
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
A bit OT but what happened to Cybersdorf? I recall he was very active on the DSC and sportscarworld forums during that time.

I seem to recall at least one V6 Jag dropping down from C1 to C2, driven by the Formula ford guy whose name eludes me at the moment, but he won the FF festival when quite old.
David Coyne?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2908028)   #29
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto View Post
David Coyne?
Thats him, checked RSC and looks like he was entered in a Jag a couple of times by Gee Pee racing but I don't thing the car ever raced.

Sure it was tested at snetterton as a C2 at some point. Going to bug me now.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2908032)   #30
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thats him, checked RSC and looks like he was entered in a Jag a couple of times by Gee Pee racing but I don't thing the car ever raced.

There are pics and, maybe, a thread on TNF #XJR10/11
Old 29 Jun 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2908036)   #31
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:

Found it, it was entered in the Cup class at Silverstone during 92 (Jaguar XJR-17- Jaguar V8 FIA Cup) never showed up but certain it tested.

cant really recall what made a car a Cup class car, LM was running odd rules then as well, Coyne had an entry again with Gee Pee but this time in a V12 XJR - 12 Cat 2 car.

What was Cat 2, buggered if i can remember now, thats assuming I even knew then!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2908153)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The XJR-17 was a converted XJR-16, it used a NA version of the V6, aimed at the FIA Cup and IMSA Lights.

It competed in club events, and more recently, Group C/GTP, it's since been converted back to XJR-16 spec.

http://www.motorsport-fanatic.co.uk/...GT-jaguar.html

Cat 2 = Old Group C cars

Cat 1 = 3.5l

Last edited by JAG; 29 Jun 2011 at 18:24.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 21:32 (Ref:2908274)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Now there's a question..... I remember exchanging mails and posts with Cy right back at the very beginning of my 'internet awareness course' ten years or so ago....

PS Having now checked, Cybersdorf last posted here on 26th December 2006, but interestingly, his last 'activity' here was on 12th May 2011 - so he must have popped in for a peek sometime! Perhaps a bit like my one post on Club Arnage!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 29 Jun 2011 at 21:41.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2908291)   #34
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone View Post
That's the one, an IMSA XJR16 chopped into a spyder. Never raced AFAIK, though Bergermann did run a '16 in Interserie
Old 29 Jun 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2908306)   #35
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Found it, it was entered in the Cup class at Silverstone during 92 (Jaguar XJR-17- Jaguar V8 FIA Cup) never showed up but certain it tested.

cant really recall what made a car a Cup class car, LM was running odd rules then as well, Coyne had an entry again with Gee Pee but this time in a V12 XJR - 12 Cat 2 car.

What was Cat 2, buggered if i can remember now, thats assuming I even knew then!
IIRC, this was after the original plan by a guy named Alan Randall to run a customer Jag campaign in 1992 after TWR had pulled out. I think the announced intention was a pair of XJR14s and a pair of XJR17s, (and possibly a Spice...) for the Cup category. When this fell through, GeePee (think they were Swiss?) who had appeared at Monza with an Argo for Coyne and Georg Paulin entered an XJR17 for Silverstone, but neither this or the Argo appeared, and GeePee weren't seen again.

The Le Mans entry (1xXJR12 and 1xXJR17) involved longtime sportscar privateers Ranieri Randaccio and Stefano 'Stingbrace' Sebastiani- IIRC their SCI outfit attempted to salvage the project and take on the GeePee Le Mans entries at the last minute, but this deal didn't come together either and they ran one of their C2 Tigas instead.

From very vague memory, Paulin had some involvement with an abortive F1 entry in the mid-80's under the 'Ekström' name- IIRC the owner of the intended team was a woman?

As JAG said, the Cat.1/Cat.2 split came in for 1991- Cat.1 were the 3.5 litre cars, and Cat.2 were the old-style fuel-formula Group C cars
Old 29 Jun 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2908320)   #36
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Randall's Walter Mitty attempt at Group C was the final nail in the coffin as he promised 6 cars on the grid and then failed along with the series.....There was never any money behind it let alone any cars purchased.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2908322)   #37
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Now there's a question..... I remember exchanging mails and posts with Cy right back at the very beginning of my 'internet awareness course' ten years or so ago....

PS Having now checked, Cybersdorf last posted here on 26th December 2006, but interestingly, his last 'activity' here was on 12th May 2011 - so he must have popped in for a peek sometime! Perhaps a bit like my one post on Club Arnage!
If I remember correctly who the person known as cybersdorf is out in the real world, he contributes to DSC and was helping them last weekend at the Nurburgring 24. I miss his forum posts - those 'guess the car' contests based on a little snippet of an image which I seem to remember him being behind were fantastic, and there is lots of great fodder for one of those in this thread!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 04:58 (Ref:2908381)   #38
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone View Post
It seems to me that a lot of Group C cars went on to have second lives as WSC, LMP or SR1 cars. Does anyone have a definitive list of those that were converted? These are the ones I can think of at the moment:

Jaguar XJR-14 = Porsche WSC95
Lola T92/10 = Lola T92/10 Spyder (and the basis for the Ascari A410?)
Porsche 962 = Kremer K7/K8 and Gunnar 966
Intrepid RM-1 = Basis of the Riley & Scott MkIII
Nissan P35 = X-250 Ferrari
Gebhardt C91 = Gebhart G4 SR1
Nissan NPTI 90 = Matrix MXP

Can anyone think of any more?
My God. What great looking cars...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2908407)   #39
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
If I remember correctly who the person known as cybersdorf is out in the real world, he contributes to DSC and was helping them last weekend at the Nurburgring 24. I miss his forum posts - those 'guess the car' contests based on a little snippet of an image which I seem to remember him being behind were fantastic, and there is lots of great fodder for one of those in this thread!
Yup, saw him at the Ring last weekend...
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2909260)   #40
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Randall's Walter Mitty attempt at Group C was the final nail in the coffin as he promised 6 cars on the grid and then failed along with the series.....There was never any money behind it let alone any cars purchased.
Bear in mind, I only worked with the guy...
I spent 6-7 years with Alan Randall, working at Ford in Daventry. He very firmly pointed the finger at Bernie Ecclestone over the fiasco. He had TWR making cars, and, he claimed, the Sultan of Brunei lined up as sponsor for the team. He certainly was an unhappy bunny over the situation, as he'd got the deal, then the series got canned.

That's his side of things, anyway. I have NO other source of information, so I don't know otherwise...