Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1562586)   #76
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Just found something that would tend to disprove Miller's harsh comments regarding the accident.
This is a (warning) graphic video, but the last 15 seconds of it in slow motion clearly show that Dana hit two pieces of debris that kick off to the right and his front right tire start wobbling from THAT contact long before impact with Carpenter. It's likely he wasn't even able to steer at that point.

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/vids/dana1.wmv
Yes, that video shows that it was a pure racing accident. With the wheel only just tethered to the car Dana would have had no steering whatsoever and would have been a passenger in a vehicle with no means of control.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1562594)   #77
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The wheel still looks firmly attached but the front wing was destroyed by that debris. The car also lifted off the track on hitting the debris so I assume the car would be uncontrolable.

But viewing these videos has shown how lucky Ed Carpenter is to have been in that position and not a further 1 or 2m up the bank.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1562633)   #78
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Just found something that would tend to disprove Miller's harsh comments regarding the accident.
This is a (warning) graphic video, but the last 15 seconds of it in slow motion clearly show that Dana hit two pieces of debris that kick off to the right and his front right tire start wobbling from THAT contact long before impact with Carpenter. It's likely he wasn't even able to steer at that point.

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/vids/dana1.wmv
I see him hitting a piece of debris a few metres in front of Carpenter's car, which damages his car and spins off to the right as you say. But that was 1-2 seconds before he actually made contact with Carpenter's car and we would expect him to have slowed by that point. Indeed, that was many, many seconds after Carpenter had had his accident, a lifetime in the world of the open-wheel oval racing. There are also some comments in the various articles reporting the accident from Scott Sharp and Buddy Lazier that Dana had been "virtually wide open" while those drivers had decelerated.

Perhaps he had a problem, perhaps he wasn't 100% clued-in about what was going on, but it's difficult to say much from looking at little video clips on the web. It will be interesting to hear the exact details about what happened, what information was relayed to Dana, etc. If lessons need to be learned, I think that the IRL will learn them. They don't have a choice, which is exactly as it should be.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1562651)   #79
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really very,very tragic indeed but an accident very unique to oval racing I would say.No other form of racing would normally throw a damaged car back onto the circuit where speeds seldom drop much below 200mph.In the modern electronics era of the 21st century, is it not possible to devise a system that automatically restricts a race cars throttle as soon as the yellow lights are thrown?
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1562681)   #80
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testure
I see him hitting a piece of debris a few metres in front of Carpenter's car, which damages his car and spins off to the right as you say. But that was 1-2 seconds before he actually made contact with Carpenter's car and we would expect him to have slowed by that point. Indeed, that was many, many seconds after Carpenter had had his accident, a lifetime in the world of the open-wheel oval racing. There are also some comments in the various articles reporting the accident from Scott Sharp and Buddy Lazier that Dana had been "virtually wide open" while those drivers had decelerated.
In fact, on that last video linked, I believe the in car camera action at the end was from Scott Sharp's car, and you can see Buddy Lazier right in front of him, along with Dana's car rocketing past Buddy's.

Another thing I noticed on the in car camera view, which is a bit disturbing, I didnt see the big yellow light which I believe is mandatory on Indycar's for when the track goes yellow. Being that this was a practice session, I wonder if the track actually went yellow or if the cars were signalled (isnt it automatic?) of the yellow condition. So many questions which will probably never be answered (at least publically). Sad day it was.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1562744)   #81
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a more positive idea, how about some sort of lasting tribute to Paul? As he was so keen on using bio-ethanol, how about a Paul Dana Innovation Award for the highest-placed driver in the championship using an alternative fuel? This might encourage more entries of that nature and inspire developments in that field - which is ultimately vital for us all.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1562746)   #82
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
As a more positive idea, how about some sort of lasting tribute to Paul? As he was so keen on using bio-ethanol, how about a Paul Dana Innovation Award for the highest-placed driver in the championship using an alternative fuel? This might encourage more entries of that nature and inspire developments in that field - which is ultimately vital for us all.
What an absolutely brilliant idea - hopefully someone will take this up.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 00:09 (Ref:1562867)   #83
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
IMHO, Boots, that is an immensely inspired idea.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:03 (Ref:1562894)   #84
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't be phoney and pretend I knew alot of this young man because I didn't, but even so my heart fell to the floor. I won't comment either on any forensic/scientific analyses or opinion and even reading same at this early stage I find a little too focused on horror. I will burn this racer a candle; and send my very best prayers for strength, faith and courage to all of those close to him.
I never saw any of his races, nor any articles about him but I was all set to watch him this year in Indy.
Perhaps someone could post some nice links that would direct me to some of Paul Dana's history. In that way, I could still see some of him this season, and this thread could also honour his life and accomplishments.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1562897)   #85
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I agree here with SR2 and a few others. The whatifs can be discussed later.

My condolences to his wife and immediate family, as well as his extended family at Rahal-Letterman Racing.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1562916)   #86
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All drivers use the same fuel, so an award for a driver using a specific fuel would be impossible (or simply end up being another bonus to the champion).

I believe you can't see the yellow wheel light because it is shielded from the top like a traffic light so that you can see it in the sunlight. If it wasn't, perhaps the sun glare could've contributed to him not seeing it.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 03:35 (Ref:1562958)   #87
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bobby Rahal has said that the spotter communicated appropriately. Given that the lights on the dash exist, they obviously aren't obvious enough.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 05:23 (Ref:1563003)   #88
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite sad about what happened. From what I understand Paul worked hard for the opportunity to race cars and it's tragic to have his dreams ended in such a way. My sympathies to his family and especially his wife, for whom this has to be a heartbreaker.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1563287)   #89
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless if the yellow lights in his car weren't working, his spotter told him that there was an accident around the corner, yet he still was full speed coming out of that turn for some reason while most other cars had slowed down when they saw debris everywhere.

So far, there is no explanation as to why Dana was driving so fast, and the mystery/questions will probably continue for a while.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1563292)   #90
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS01/603280471
Old 28 Mar 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1563337)   #91
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are they talking about the debris seen in the video in your previous link, IC? 'cause if so, he hit that one less than a second before hitting Carpenter. (watch the in car camera, Dana's tires smoke briefly at the time of the impact with the debris)

I'd add my analysis to this, but there's no sense in piling on. I'll leave it to the series to figure out what lessons are to be learned at this point.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 Mar 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1563339)   #92
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe they're talking about that debris, Paul.....
Old 28 Mar 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1563496)   #93
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's some info I came across about the LIFE of Paul Dana, that I've found, ironically some with respect to the Province in which I live today. I didn't follow his career, but I would have this year. I hope his family and friends can take a small bit of comfort in seeing that fans are interested in his accomplishments still today.

http://www.cooperseries.com/news/new...1975-2006.html
Old 29 Mar 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1563861)   #94
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll post more information when I'm better composed.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1563873)   #95
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Such a trajedy -- I hope someday with safety technology that racing can become a deathless sport.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1563932)   #96
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The only REAL sports are Motor Racing, Mountain Climbing, and Bull Fighting; all the rest are just games"...Ernest Hemingway

...and we know 'Papa's' sentiment is still true today (add hang gliding?), because you can lose your life in any of the pursuits he mentioned...Paul Dana's death is most tragic, yes, but those on the edge are most 'alive' when nearest oblivion - sometimes the line gets blurred
Old 29 Mar 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1564282)   #97
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was very sad news. The worst thing is that he had no control of the car and at those speeds, man...
Old 29 Mar 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1564303)   #98
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think whether he had control or not, he would have had a hard time avoiding Carpenter....he hit the debris only 30 feet away.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1564471)   #99
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not so sure...I think had he not his the debris, he would have side-swiped Carpenter and maybe not have had just injuries...But then again, I may be totally wrong.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1564491)   #100
dusty
Rookie

dusty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
better to live one day as lion than a life as a sheep. not an original quote but I think an apt one,