Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Mar 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2429842)   #1
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lime Rock Road Racing Classic

Some of you may be aware that the recently revamped Lime Rock Park will be hosting a round of the Historic Grand Prix Series (www.historicgrandprix.com) This will be my first chance to a see full field of 3L era historic F1 cars motoring around the Connecticut countryside. I've only ever seen some scattered 50's and early 60's era F1 cars during the fall vintage race. Hopefully there will be a decent turn out despite the current state of the economy, and that Duncan Dayton will have his Lotus 79 there as that weekend doesn't clash with the ALMS race in Utah, plus Highcroft are less than an hour from the track. Unfortunately Speed Touring and GT was dropped from the weekend schedule but the Historic Grand Prix series will still be enough to draw me up there.

Is anybody else here attending? To those who may be familiar with this series, do you know if HGP publishes any type of entry list leading up to their events?

Thanks!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2431071)   #2
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always fancied a trip to Lime Rock but I don't think I'll be there! You'll enjoy it though - proper 3 litre F1 cars are great fun to watch!
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2438341)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post

Is anybody else here attending? To those who may be familiar with this series, do you know if HGP publishes any type of entry list leading up to their events?

Thanks!
these guys made their way south to the Mitty at RoadATL last year. never could find an entry list before hand and unfortunately, there wasn't a "full field", so to speak. however, the ones that were able to make it were MORE than worth the price of admission, IMO.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=mitty
"there were only 10 F1 cars, instead of the 30 advertised; 2 of the 10, including a Sir Jackie Tyrrell, broke at some point during the weekend and never made it to the grid on sunday. however, the ones that showed were excellent and were running somewhere in the 1:20s; pretty dang quick for 25+ year old cars!"

ENJOY, Zubert! should be good!
Old 6 May 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2456486)   #4
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
I've gotten some more information from HGP as to entries for the event. Duncan Daytons Lotus 79 will be there, along with Williams, Hesketh, Penske, 2 March 761's, Ensign, Wolf, and Tyrrell. HGP are expecting around 10 cars which for a 1.53 mile circuit isn't all that bad. Looking forward to it!
Old 29 May 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2471760)   #5
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Seems as if I'm the only one interested in this thread but I'll post anyway. I went to Lime Rock on Monday for the final Historic Grand Prix race. 9 cars were entered, with 6 or 7 non competing cars sitting in the paddock, including the original Lotus 79 test car. Cars racing were the Lotus 79, Williams FW07, March 761-08, Penske PC-3, Wolf WR6, Ensign, March 811, Hesketh 308, and Brabham BT-37. The Williams and Lotus were fighting pretty closely setting best laps in the 47's. I watched from the outside of West Bend and seeing the Lotus 79 oversteering and twitching on the exit was incredible. The race was unfortunately interrupted by a few caution laps due to the throttle sticking on the March 811, but for the short time the cars raced it was well worth it. I took quite a few pics as well - http://zurbert82.smugmug.com/Cars/793738
Old 29 May 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2471769)   #6
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some nice shots. Always love those 'Garagiste' era F1 cars.