Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jun 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3745952)   #401
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
"I am sure at some stage there will be [Kia] vehicles involved one way or other [in Supercars] but we won’t be running a factory team," KMA communications boss Kevin Hepworth told motoring.com.au
Looks like we've got ourselves a new pace car.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 02:46 (Ref:3756235)   #402
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Some thoughts from Nissan MD on engines beyond 2018: Few choices from Nissan globally
Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3756486)   #403
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
They are confident it will go racing, but they refuse to (and see no benefit in?) pay(ing) for it to do so. That sense makes not!
Old 31 Jul 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3756535)   #404
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
They are confident it will go racing, but they refuse to (and see no benefit in?) pay(ing) for it to do so. That sense makes not!
Why doesnt it make sense?

happens all over the world in motorsport
Old 31 Jul 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3756548)   #405
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
It makes no sense to participate with the current costs to compete (and do so properly)

Costs need to be halved before we see the likes of KIA getting involved as well as Jaguar, Alfa and everyone else beating down Supercars door to get involved with Gen2..............

And good luck trying to find another Betty that will pay for the programme without the factory putting in any coin and getting the marketing exposure for free. Kudos to Volvo for actually putting their money in even if it all ended ratherly poorly
Old 31 Jul 2017, 23:52 (Ref:3756563)   #406
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Some thoughts from Nissan MD on engines beyond 2018: Few choices from Nissan globally
The thing is, a V8 Altima engine can run between 3,000 to 5,000km without major rebuild (except for valve gear updates), with few moving parts needing regular replacement. Kelly Racing back in the Holden days never usually laid a spanner on the engines, unless they were scheduled for maintenance, between rounds. Cheap performance, relatively.

A V6 biturbo engine is more highly stressed as a racing engine. Far more susceptible to temperature, inambient & oil and water and air. With vulnerability in inducting dirt and sand in the intakes. In having those 2 snails on there that are prone to falling out of balance, perhaps more especially in a variable boost environment we might see in the future. Data from the engines will probably need to be pored over, see where overboosting happened, temperature, and any other thing that could impact reliability

If you are 888 and throwing a fresh engine in for almost every event, the budget impost wont be a whole lot. If you are running the long life method like most other teams, the goalposts will shift.... in the hip pocket..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Sep 2017, 22:58 (Ref:3768916)   #407
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ZB Commodore Gen2 Will Have It's Shakedown Today
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:22 (Ref:3768964)   #408
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"If you are 888 and throwing a fresh engine in for almost every event, "

Source?
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:27 (Ref:3768966)   #409
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

"It makes no sense to participate with the current costs to compete (and do so properly)"

Of course. They could do worse than to mandate a Chevy LS7 crate engine for everyone, as trialled in NZ's V8 Supertourers.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:41 (Ref:3768968)   #410
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
"It makes no sense to participate with the current costs to compete (and do so properly)"

Of course. They could do worse than to mandate a Chevy LS7 crate engine for everyone, as trialled in NZ's V8 Supertourers.
How does that go? I don't follow NZ motorsport unfortunately
Old 21 Sep 2017, 03:03 (Ref:3768970)   #411
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The engine used, was the least of their troubles.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3769164)   #412
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Commodore Gen2 Is Go

More Here
Old 21 Sep 2017, 22:24 (Ref:3769166)   #413
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Commercially, a problem I can see is the width of the space between the grille and the air mistake for the engine/brakes. Just like the FGX, this space is significantly smaller than the previous model... meaning less space for a commercial brand to land
Old 21 Sep 2017, 22:34 (Ref:3769167)   #414
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
20,000 Hours In Development!!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 23:53 (Ref:3769177)   #415
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So roughly thats 10 people for a whole year. At $60 an hour thats $1.2M
Old 22 Sep 2017, 00:49 (Ref:3769180)   #416
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bet half that time was unpaid overtime knowing the industry.

Looks like a good product, hopefully aerodynamically superior to the current car to bridge the gap in that department.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 01:01 (Ref:3769182)   #417
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oddly, the bloke in charge of two of the slipperiest cars on the grid, designed the two iterations of the VF aero.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 01:45 (Ref:3769184)   #418
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always compromises when it comes to maintaining the styling of the brand so one optimised vehicle can trump another.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 01:51 (Ref:3769185)   #419
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The thing is, a V8 Altima engine can run between 3,000 to 5,000km without major rebuild (except for valve gear updates), with few moving parts needing regular replacement. Kelly Racing back in the Holden days never usually laid a spanner on the engines, unless they were scheduled for maintenance, between rounds. Cheap performance, relatively.

A V6 biturbo engine is more highly stressed as a racing engine. Far more susceptible to temperature, inambient & oil and water and air. With vulnerability in inducting dirt and sand in the intakes. In having those 2 snails on there that are prone to falling out of balance, perhaps more especially in a variable boost environment we might see in the future. Data from the engines will probably need to be pored over, see where overboosting happened, temperature, and any other thing that could impact reliability

If you are 888 and throwing a fresh engine in for almost every event, the budget impost wont be a whole lot. If you are running the long life method like most other teams, the goalposts will shift.... in the hip pocket..
650hp for a 3.5 litre turbo motor (On E85 at that) is not stressed. It is not even close to being stressed. An R35 you can buy from your friendly Nissan dealer has near on 600hp and runs on petrol. Comes with a warranty too.

And overboost? Their biggest problem is likely to be turning the thing down far enough to get parity with the atmo motors.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 02:19 (Ref:3769188)   #420
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much longer can the VF be run? Is there a set date or its up in the air at the moment?
Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:40 (Ref:3769201)   #421
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YUCK, I hope it looks better in racing colours (Red)

The KIA looks far better to me..........oh wait, maybe it looks the same in black too.

Maybe time to cheer on a Mustang, that looks the shizzzz
Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3769202)   #422
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post

The KIA looks far better to me..........oh wait, maybe it looks the same in black too.

I am imagining that the purpose of the dark colour scheme is to mask the actual crease lines of the base road car, unreleased into the market as it is.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:52 (Ref:3769204)   #423
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I am imagining that the purpose of the dark colour scheme is to mask the actual crease lines of the base road car, unreleased into the market as it is.
well I hope a bit of colour adds to it cus it looks like a piece of poo now.

Than again, its not really a commodore to the traditionalists.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:53 (Ref:3769205)   #424
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post

Kia doesnt look good in yellow

Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:55 (Ref:3769206)   #425
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Kia doesnt look good in yellow

No but it looks better in Red, I guess time will tell but thats far Im not loving it.

Lets bring back "The Big Bangers"