Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jun 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2703369)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Panoz Abruzzi

Thought this deserved its own thread.

New teaser images released:
http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|14832

so combine that with the rear shots already released:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100509980

and you can get an idea of what the car will look like. Murphy mentioned some problems with the car during construction, but it looks like it will be making the trip to LeMans for the unveiling. The question is will it just be for looks, or will there be a working car on display?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2703477)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So this will be developed into a GT2 car?

With the Saleen and Panoz GTLM on their way out a new US GT car would be welcome.

I guess all wil be revealed at Le Mans, not just this particular car, but the future of the GT classes as a whole.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 21:40 (Ref:2703480)   #3
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you mean no more GT1?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2703491)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Thought this deserved its own thread.

New teaser images released:
http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|14832

so combine that with the rear shots already released:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100509980

and you can get an idea of what the car will look like. Murphy mentioned some problems with the car during construction, but it looks like it will be making the trip to LeMans for the unveiling. The question is will it just be for looks, or will there be a working car on display?
well done, joeb.

i really hope Murphy's questioning if the car would in fact make it to Le Mans this June was pure Bear pessimism.

i'm excited about a new GT from Jackson County.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2703503)   #5
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks sort of like a cross between a TVR and the old "Batmobile." Hopefully someone (PTG?) will let the beast race!
Old 2 Jun 2010, 23:46 (Ref:2703528)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
you mean no more GT1?
That, but also how GT2 will be developed, perhaps it's time for a GT2+ category to fill the GT1 void.

Push the factories into this class and allow them to develop hybrid technology.

Cars like the Ferrari 458 and Mclaren MP4 are pushing 600bhp in road going form, GT2 was originally for road cars putting out little more than 400bhp.

Last edited by JAG; 3 Jun 2010 at 00:15.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 01:22 (Ref:2703555)   #7
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
So this will be developed into a GT2 car?

With the Saleen and Panoz GTLM on their way out a new US GT car would be welcome.

I guess all wil be revealed at Le Mans, not just this particular car, but the future of the GT classes as a whole.
I thought it was going to be a GT2 car, so I guess they have to build a few road cars to get the thing homologated first.

Anybody know what the minimum build number for GT2 cars is these days?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 02:07 (Ref:2703572)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Homologation special.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 02:48 (Ref:2703580)   #9
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Homologation special.
Indeed. I seem to recall the reason the Esperante was so heavily based upon the Mustang was to get around road certificate issues (emissions primarily). What's the Abruzzi based on and how long before the car is road certified?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 03:47 (Ref:2703586)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I thought it was going to be a GT2 car, so I guess they have to build a few road cars to get the thing homologated first.

Anybody know what the minimum build number for GT2 cars is these days?

Rules say 25, with the max of 1 racer per 9 street.

L.P.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 05:48 (Ref:2703608)   #11
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
L.P.
Perhaps he has already taken deposits on at least that many???
Old 3 Jun 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2703644)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
L.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Perhaps he has already taken deposits on at least that many???
Hmm, I would imagine he can buy that many himself, as school cars! But hey, he does not know what he is doing, does he?!

L.P.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2703961)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Hmm, I would imagine he can buy that many himself, as school cars! But hey, he does not know what he is doing, does he?!

L.P.
I like it, buy all of your own cars!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2704039)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, doesn't Dan Panoz own the carbuilder side of things, while Don has the motorsport holdings?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this thing, especially if it makes it onto the track.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2704066)   #15
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Well, doesn't Dan Panoz own the carbuilder side of things, while Don has the motorsport holdings?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this thing, especially if it makes it onto the track.
I'd suggest, that Dan has/does as much as Don lets him.

L.P.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2704230)   #16
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'd suggest, that Dan has/does as much as Don lets him.

L.P.
Don's involvement in PMSG and PAD over the last 5-7 years has actually been minimal, which is unfortunate. Had Don been more involved I dare say PMSG wouldn't have peaked with the 2004 Indy 500 win. But even that is arguable as there are some that say Don killed the IRL program. It's a shame, as PMSG was, at one point, the only North American chassis builder capable of building upper-tier race cars.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 03:48 (Ref:2704283)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Don's involvement in PMSG and PAD over the last 5-7 years has actually been minimal, which is unfortunate. Had Don been more involved I dare say PMSG wouldn't have peaked with the 2004 Indy 500 win. But even that is arguable as there are some that say Don killed the IRL program. It's a shame, as PMSG was, at one point, the only North American chassis builder capable of building upper-tier race cars.
then is the Aburzzi a product from PMSG circling the wagons, so to speak, and an attempted resurgence back into racing with a return their roots?
Old 4 Jun 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2704430)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
then is the Aburzzi a product from PMSG circling the wagons, so to speak, and an attempted resurgence back into racing with a return their roots?
If what I've heard is correct, PMSG has pretty much sub-contracted all of this work out.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2704508)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure I'm going to like the front fascia. I'll still chear for it in competition though. They've gone from Ford to Chebby power? Due to friendly relations over the LMPC deal perhaps?

Chris
Old 4 Jun 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2704701)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
If what I've heard is correct, PMSG has pretty much sub-contracted all of this work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I'm not sure I'm going to like the front fascia. I'll still chear for it in competition though. They've gone from Ford to Chebby power? Due to friendly relations over the LMPC deal perhaps?

Chris
i guess, according to some sources, that Multimatic had a hand in the work, but i haven't heard about the Don car wearing a Bowtie. what's going on with Elan Power?
Old 4 Jun 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2704771)   #21
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just got the impression it was using a Snorevette drive train via the latest Murph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythebear.com About Abruzzi
Enter the Don, who decided to use that second generation chassis along with a Corvette drive train for his Abruzzi.
That's final?

Chris
Old 5 Jun 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2705087)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I wonder if they are using the same drive train as the p&m vettes?
Old 5 Jun 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2705097)   #23
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder if they are using the same drive train as the p&m vettes?
If the car has LS power of some sort, which appears likely, they wouldn't have the exact same motors as the C6.Rs get. A racing version of the new Panoz would probably have a similar engine, but not the same one.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2705184)   #24
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
From what I understand, most of the work is being done in-house at EMT and PAD, for now. How the first-off prototype car is built might not resemble at all how the car will be series built, so I wouldn't be surprised if the players change by the time the car is built in capacity (assuming it gets that far).

As to LS power, again, that's a way to piggy back onto GM's emission electronics if I recall correctly.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2705609)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
Many small UK sportscar manufactuers buy-in engines from major manufactuers particularly if they want to sell cars in the US.

Is it a sure thing the Panoz will be in the ALMS next season?