Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3750208)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm just beginning to think that you have a problem with people if their name begins with a 'V'...
Valtteri, Vettel, Viva. What a bunch ......
Old 10 Jul 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3750209)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah and not a jump start, no matter what that Vettel geezer thinks
But Ricciardo also thought he jumped the start, why pick on Vettel?

Is your bias showing?

Why not I never mind mine being on display.

Cheers

bauble.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3750211)   #28
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Valtteri, Vettel, Viva. What a bunch ......
Yes, but two out of three isn't a bad average...
Old 10 Jul 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3750222)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
But Ricciardo also thought he jumped the start, why pick on Vettel?

Is your bias showing?

Why not I never mind mine being on display.

Cheers

bauble.

Because Ricciardo only said it looked like he did, Vettel is insisting he is and is making himself look a right berk, when it was proved he didn't
Old 10 Jul 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3750233)   #30
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Because Ricciardo only said it looked like he did, Vettel is insisting he is and is making himself look a right berk, when it was proved he didn't
Vettel's big problem at the moment is that he is still in the limelight after Baku, and everything he said is pounced on for further scorn, by the media and many 'fans'.

The trouble with being unpopular, as I know from personal experience.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3750245)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm just beginning to think that you have a problem with people if their name begins with a 'V'...
Has Vewis Vamilton made it to F1 now? I always thought that kid was good.......
Old 10 Jul 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3750246)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I have to admit, when I watched the race yesterday, I thought Bottas jumped the start. However the car's transponder and telemetry said otherwise, so that's how it is.
Me too - I thought that straight away. But when it was replayed, it was clear it was just a brilliant start.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3750268)   #33
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It strikes me as a bit funny that some are surprised whenever a F1 driver makes a good start; they should always make good starts, provided that there are no mechanical gremlins.

However, I wonder whether the powers that be will ever return to the old system of grid formation, when the cars started on alternate rows, three abreast and two abreast. Yes it means that the cars are more tightly bunched at the first few corners, but at least it would almost eliminate the speed differential between the cars at the front of the grid and those at the rear. The way it is now, I would guess that the cars at the back would probably be in a higher gear by the time that they get to the braking zone. And this is why there are comings together so often at the starts of the races; each row of cars is reaching a higher velocity than the preceding row of cars.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3750269)   #34
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
What a damn good post Mike. Silly really, just common sense if you think about it.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3750270)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And it would also hopefully see the end of weaving at the start. Of course there would be the question over how the poleman would still have an advantage, but then he would still be on the clean side
Old 10 Jul 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3750273)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If your aim is to reduce the chance of a coming together at the start any benefit reduction in speed differential due to starting them on side by side rows that have a smaller gap is more than lost with the increased density. Simply put more cars in the same area increases the chance of contact, especially with the higher acceleration and deceleration rates of current F1 cars compared to reaction times.

I'm not against a proper side-by-side grid formation. However my rationale is not safety, but competition!
Old 10 Jul 2017, 21:19 (Ref:3750274)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Me too - I thought that straight away. But when it was replayed, it was clear it was just a brilliant start.
It was a great start. However, when I saw the graphic appear I couldn't believe it said 2 tenths of a second... because that's terrible. I'm curious as to how they measure this. At a local drag strip here you would take some serious crap for cutting anything in the tenths and not in the hundredths.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3750281)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC the graphic said 0.201s.

I think the measurement comes from sensors in the grid spot.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3750283)   #39
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adam, I acknowledge that the cars would be packed tighter together, but at least the drivers would be, or certainly should be, far more aware of where the other cars around them were. It would also stop a lot of the weaving and darting into gaps that are closing rapidly.

I'm not trying to say that things were necessarily better in days of yore, but my memory tells me that there were far fewer comings together at the start of races, based on side by side starts, in the long distant past.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3750289)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I recall (so probably wrong!) the changes were made as the cars got quicker and accidents became more likely.

The not weaving thing is a good point, but sometimes having the space to do that might be required! For aggressive defending I'm with you.

I certainly know in our much slower form the tighter spacing make sense. If only to make it more fun
Old 10 Jul 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3750295)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thing that ragged me was Vettel still banging on about it after the race and AFTER Bottas start had been adjudged to be ok.

God i wish Alonso was in the other Ferrari!!
Old 10 Jul 2017, 23:51 (Ref:3750298)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
At least I'm not the only one who intilally thought that.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 02:58 (Ref:3750313)   #43
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
IIRC the graphic said 0.201s.

I think the measurement comes from sensors in the grid spot.
Thanks, I kind of assumed they were breaking a beam and it's actually the car's reaction time. Hand clutch too!
Old 11 Jul 2017, 05:27 (Ref:3750324)   #44
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Thing that ragged me was Vettel still banging on about it after the race and AFTER Bottas start had been adjudged to be ok.
Yes, he obviously does inhabit a different universe!

Perhaps he thinks that to have a reaction time that quick you have to 'jump' the start.....
Old 11 Jul 2017, 06:08 (Ref:3750326)   #45
bauble
Veteran

England
A lot (ie all) of the posters here have their own opinion on Bottas's start, rather surprisingly so does Sebastien Vettel.*

Oh! Of course his doesn't count.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 06:22 (Ref:3750332)   #46
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I don't care that his opinion differs to the telemetry and stewards, he is entitled to it after all, but what I found annoying (as did others it seems) is that he wouldn't accept that it could be wrong...... Same as side swiping another car in apparent anger (regardless of who was driving it)!
Old 11 Jul 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3750333)   #47
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Yeah and not a jump start, no matter what that Vettel geezer thinks
And he kept on accusing Bottas for a jump start during every post race interview. Even mentioned it during the podium interviews and tried to pass it onto Ricciardo to explain, hoping Ricciardo would then get the bad rep. RIC didn't bite and made VET look like the whinger he is.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 07:04 (Ref:3750337)   #48
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
It's quite embarassing really?

Ferrari need to have a word, he's getting a bit too cavalier.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 07:42 (Ref:3750339)   #49
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
At a local drag strip here you would take some serious crap for cutting anything in the tenths and not in the hundredths.
A totally different set of circumstances. In drag racing you "move" on the final yellow knowing that exactly 0.5sec later you'll have the green. Reaction times of 0.00X is very common in bracket/sportsman class.

In F1, the five lights turn on in 1 sec intervals, and the time from when all five lights on to all lights out is a totally random time that is computer controlled. The race director has no control of this delay. Predicting what that time is going to be is totally impossible. Getting a visual reaction time under 0.150sec is almost humanly impossible. The average human visual reaction time is about 0.250sec. So Bottas' reaction time, was said to be 0.201sec, is above average - and if his reaction time had been 0.180sec or below, it would have been deemed a jump start.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3750343)   #50
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
So Grosjean deliberately parked it with an "electrical issue" with just a couple of minutes left in Q3 so he could hold position. This sort of tactic needs to be stamped out of the sport. Rosberg did it Monaco 2014 too.

One way is to amend the qualifying rules where if you were the cause for the yellow or red flag during qualifying, then your fastest time is deleted and the next best time is used instead. This should stop this sort of dirty tactics.