Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 6 Jan 2013, 06:05 (Ref:3185385)   #1
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink My little boy

Hi all. A general issue that I need your opinion at. I was involved in sprints and autocross and did tons of track days and karting. I never raced as a pro because of finanace issues. Should I introduce my 5 years old boy in to motorsport?

It is going to be expensive for me and for him when he pays his own bills - unless indeed if he gets lucky and get sponsored. What is your opinion?!!!! help please.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3185473)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I for one am totally against "bambino" karting 6-8 years old. At that age my son could barely walk properly, and his co-ordination was dangerous! I've also had lots of dads buying gear from me for kids who frankly were not interested...the dads were buying to live out their own dreams.

I'd wait until he was 8 years old, cadet class age, but keep him encouraged - "when you're a big boy you'll be able to drive". You'll also see whether he is really, really *really* interested, or only taking part because daddy has given him a big expensive toy - and who wouldn't love that????

My teenaged son was testing his kart in the rain yesterday, and we had a discussion as to where all the cadet racers go. Our local track has h-u-g-e grids of 8-11 year olds, but very few "juniors" I.e. 11 - 16. You only have to search the pages of karting web sites to see "retirement" sales of expensive, unused cadet karts and equipment to see how few young drivers really are interested in kart racing!

Then you'll be able to introduce him to The Money Pit!

Last edited by midgetman; 6 Jan 2013 at 12:13. Reason: Spelling and grammar!
Old 6 Jan 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3185722)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Driver View Post
It is going to be expensive for me and for him when he pays his own bills - unless indeed if he gets lucky and get sponsored. What is your opinion?!!!! help please.
Pay his own bills ! Most people I know are still bailing out their kids when they are 20 + on a normal life let alone racing cars !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2013, 07:41 (Ref:3185838)   #4
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
Thanks for the point Midgetman.

So you are saying wait untill he is little older like 11-14 of age. Yes I agree that older guys can drive much safer that is a great point you brought into attention. When you are 9 years you just have no sense on what could be dangerous or not. That is one golden point.

Also honestly - that is my point now, If one starts driving at 6 or 18 it is not much dfference becasue; if you know how to drive you simply know how to drive. You either got it or not (im not denying the importance of expereince here however) but it is like all other skills in life. For example I cant play guitar like my brothers, I tried but I cant, I just dont have it, yet they cant play sports as good as I do.

You are either born a driver or not, the experience brings that out only. By the way one of my brothers started riding motorbikes much later than me when I did and didnt have a bike available like I did, but still he rides bikes and can do wheelies and stunts that I dont dare to do. He is just born a better rider that I am.

Also, No Im not the type of dad that would push his kid into anything that he doesnt like. He is free to do whatever I only encourage or provide advise. Cheers.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 08:07 (Ref:3185842)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Try some indoor kart centres, so you're not deeply committed and you'll see if he just enjoys a Sunday diversion or is really keen on getting his hands dirty with the next level up.

My lad fell out of love with football after playing for the village team for many years. He wasn't very good anyway, but it was his life for a short time. All we "lost" when he gave up was his kit which didn't cost much anyway! It's different with motor sport equipment, you've invested a lot of money and there can be family rows when Racer Jr isn't that interested.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3185963)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hi all. A general issue that I need your opinion at. I was involved in sprints and autocross and did tons of track days and karting. I never raced as a pro because of finanace issues. Should I introduce my 5 years old boy in to motorsport?

Despite what you read and hear about F1 stars starting when they're that age, I don't think it's a good idea either. 8 is plenty young enough to get behind the wheel of a cadet.

Between now and 8 years old, introduce him to the sport by taking him to watch events, read magazines, watch it on TV etc... If he drums up enough enthusiasm to want to give it a go, then support him... if not, leave it there.

In answer to where MidgetMan thinks all the cadets have gone, I have a theory. I think a large percentage of these cadet racers are actually parents living out their dreams through their kids. The kids themselves are not as interested as they may appear to be. That coupled with the transition to secondary school and a greater academic workload mean that karting is dropped.

I'm fanatical about motor racing but my young son has no interest in it at all. He's interested in other things and I would never try to 'encourage' him into karting. Instead I support him in what he enjoys doing.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3185997)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Despite what you read and hear about F1 stars starting when they're that age, I don't think it's a good idea either. 8 is plenty young enough to get behind the wheel of a cadet.

Between now and 8 years old, introduce him to the sport by taking him to watch events, read magazines, watch it on TV etc... If he drums up enough enthusiasm to want to give it a go, then support him... if not, leave it there.

In answer to where MidgetMan thinks all the cadets have gone, I have a theory. I think a large percentage of these cadet racers are actually parents living out their dreams through their kids. The kids themselves are not as interested as they may appear to be. That coupled with the transition to secondary school and a greater academic workload mean that karting is dropped.

I'm fanatical about motor racing but my young son has no interest in it at all. He's interested in other things and I would never try to 'encourage' him into karting. Instead I support him in what he enjoys doing.
I can't disagree with a single word you said! I came to the same conclusion about the cadet racers.

The only place we differ is that my son has kept up the karting, meaning I've an ever-empty wallet and no chance to race myself!
Old 7 Jan 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3186012)   #8
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can tell you is my experience with my son, in that we waited until he was 8 until he was allowed to start Cadet'ing (and only after exam results etc etc) and I thought that was very young...

However, I will say if you start at 8 in MSA racing you will be in a very small minority as virtually every kid we have met in the last year, started either in Bambinos and/or non-MSA meetings. Most do min of 1yr in non-MSA and then move across (hence why some novice plates are bang on the pace and others not). There are many lads that have been karting since they are 4 or 5 and have done literally hundreds of days on track before they even get close to being able to race. I don't agree with this, but never under estimate how committed some people are and the amount they are prepared to spend. Don't be surprised that most people go warm weather testing most school holidays in the winter and race every weekend during the summer. And lets not even get started on the budgets - where you can genuinely do a season's BARC Renault for less cash!

I think the key to cadets is how many hours they spend behind the wheel and whatever figure you have in mind (both in terms of £££s and time) then times that by 10! If you kart every weekend for 12mths - you might just get near the front after first year if your son is exceptional.

The hobby I did with my Dad in the 1980s doesn't really correlate to the state of karting nowadays, and I am not sure that is for the better... I would love to paint a better picture - but unless you have endless enthusiam, money, time and a child that genuinely loves it all (including the 5am wake up calls to go testing 3 hrs away) - then I would just find a good indoor track and keep it as a hobby.

Pleas feel free to PM me if you want more deets...
Old 7 Jan 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3186014)   #9
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
To echo this view - even at 8 - its a hugely competitive sport (just look at the registrations for the new Parilla LGM series this year with already 65+ entries) - so unless he really really wants to do it, then I wouldn't push it at all. We only gave in after he met every hurdle we put in the way, and then once you have started, you want to give them the best chance they can have. Hence why my race car is sat unused for over 1yr and I constantly smell of kart oil!
Old 8 Jan 2013, 05:02 (Ref:3186285)   #10
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
Drink Thanks

Thanks all for the points. I will take that into consideration.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3186456)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
I'd wait until he was a little older, take him to race meetings for now to see if he gets the bug then when he's 8-10 take him to an indoor kart track, they will run starter lessons. From there go and do arrive and drive championships like club100 or something so there isn't the initial outlay of a few grand, only then if hes hooked get him a kart!!!

Racing doesn't have to be expensive, when I ran Tkm it cost me 3k a year including engine rebuilds tyres entry fees etc etc. if you want to have fun then get a cheep kart to start with and just do track days, if he's good enough and you can afford it, get some better equiptment and go racing for real, either in msa or in non msa racing
Old 8 Jan 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3186475)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As regards parents living out their dreams through their kids I wouldn't argue about that when you see the amount of aggro between the different parents especially at schoolboy motocross !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3186581)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one point, are you in UK or Doha? Will obviously effect your options, presumably not so much opportunity there as in UK.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3186784)   #14
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
one point, are you in UK or Doha? Will obviously effect your options, presumably not so much opportunity there as in UK.
Thanks All for the input. No we are in Doha. Despite some disadvantages in Qatar, overall the GCC is a motorsport heaven now, we got the Losail Circuit in Qatar, Dubai Autodrome and Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi, Karting circuit at Al Ain (Emirates), Al Reem Circuit at Saudi and Bahrain Circuit. The only problem in Qatar (not in Duba) is that we dont have racing school and there is little appreciation for talent. No body would give a **** if you can drive well. It just ALL and FULLY depends on whom you know.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3187205)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
No body would give a **** if you can drive well. It just ALL and FULLY depends on whom you know.
I hate to disillusion you but no-one here does either When you read in the papers that "X is a super-talent that we are looking forward to nurturing" in reality X has a big pot of money that we are looking forward to separating him from!
Old 25 Feb 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3372043)   #16
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this post has been stagnant for a while but I thought I would give you my view on the Bambino karting scene - what a joke. My little lad has been "racing" with a bunch of lads for the best part of a year now and has always ended up mid-field. Not a problem. We heard "rumours" that a few dads and lads were cheating, running illegal engines and clutches but my wife and I decided that this could not be true, these kids are only 6 or 7 uears old, surely not...wrong. The MSA introduced a "sealed" engine for 2014 to try and stop these cheats, but the seal does nothing allowing unscrupulous parents to alter both the head, clutch and block so it does not seal the engine at all. I have been told that one engine of a "fast kid" was sent to be sealed and needed over GBP900 remediation work to take it back to legal. Not such a fast kid then. At Bayford this week a lad in a Bambino lapped the field of cars in 6 laps, ie he gained around 30 seconds on the last place kart - it was so fast it was genuinely laughable. So I have pulled my son out - he is not going to be canon fodder for someone elses ego, they are only 7 years old for heavens sake! And some of these idiot parents genuinely think their children will make it into formula 1 (and some do, they have told me so!). It is meant to be fun, not a means of early retirement...Sorry - rant over...
Old 25 Feb 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3372046)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bambino karting, and to a certain extent cadet karting as well, is actually adults living their dreams through their kids. When the kids are old enough to decide for themselves, most of them pack it in. The best thing to do is avoid both of those series and only become involved in karting when your kid's old enough to make up his own mind about this kind of thing - usually about 12/13. All you'll be missing out on is exactly what you described above.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3372480)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm convinced that if my parents had bought me that quarter midget I was begging for, I would be at least a 3 time Nascar cup champ. But they didn't and we are all still poor... just keep that in mind.
Old 16 May 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3406901)   #19
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting comment about bent bambino engines!........There is a similar problem in the honda-cadet-clubman series my lad races in, I dont want to mention the circuit as we love the place, and I dont want to upset the circuit owners, i'll say its in the south-east of england and a very well known historic circuit........my son is in his 3rd year of karting now 8-1/4 years old, we have been racing in the honda-cadet-clubman class since febuary, and I was told before I even entered the series by the circuit owner (of all people!) that the clubman-series is being ruined by parents running big SP engines, then selling them when the clubman buy-back rule is enforced, as they are quite prepared to take the hit on the lost cash, it was rife last year and very bad, but its still happening this year, and the parents doing it are quite open about it.

We are solid mid-fielders and starting to nibble at the podium, and to his credit the lad winning all the races is in his 3rd year of the championship and a very competent driver, so pretty experienced now, but he is winning by utterly huge margins, for me its just a case of rising above idiot parents who are kidding themselves with bent engines, as the parents themselves know once they make the jump to "big-boys" honda cadet in the MSA series that also races at the same circuit they will get decimated and be in the mid-field if they are lucky.....so I take alot of peace of mind from that.....we will continue and keep making progress ourselves, as my lad has a very solid engine & chassis package underneath him, of which I am confident is now set-up quite well, he just needs to refine his racing line, which I can see is still not quite there, but he is improving all the time, hence I spend all the money on track time and not on bent engines.

Overall, I waited 2 years before I entered my lad into his first race, as I didnt want to smash his confidence by racing him too early where I could see that all he would be doing is rolling around the back of the field, so dont be afraid to go testing for a few years and just enjoy yourself first, racing is not everything, its actually very stressful on you and the kid.
Old 16 May 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3407073)   #20
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speak with the officials and organisers , it will help the series in the long run even if you feel that you are saying too much . The class has looked pretty close to me this year apart from one or two races and with cracking entries , to win your lad needs lots of seat time ,race or test as much as you can, he will then nail his lines, be persistant with him even when you feel you are being harsh .......it will pay off .