Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Nov 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3779502)   #31
loon
Rookie

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my book being a decent person always trumps driving ability and therefore in my opinion Felipe is truly a champion
Old 8 Nov 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3779504)   #32
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Massas a lovely guy. The entire F1 paddock clearly loved him - I don't remember such emotion for any other driver retiring. I think anyone who seems to have this impression that Massa was disliked needs to have a quick look back at very recent history.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3779506)   #33
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
After he was within one corner of winning the WDC in 2008, I assumed that he would become WDC one day - or at least would have another chance or two. His performances in that year were really excellent.

I did not realise until I just checked that his win at that race in Brazil in 2008 was his last in F1. A few months later he was lucky to be alive after that accident. I guess we will never know if that had any affect on his driving.

I think the time is right for him to move on.
I thought he was lucky to come so close in 2008. I didn’t think of him as championship material. This was before his accident. I can’t really tell if he accident had a long term effect on him.

He was a decent driver, but just not top draw like Schumacher or Alonso, but then few rarely are. He was a likeable fellow who certainly showed his emotion. It’s probably time to move and and I suspect he’ll continue to enjoy his racing. Which more than makes him a winner.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 04:24 (Ref:3779566)   #34
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Kiribati
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Massa then will retire. Probably a future in FE and Brazilian Stock Cars.
Who will replace him? Pedro Piquet is in good terms with Lance, probably he could be at least as reserve driver next year.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 11:10 (Ref:3779585)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think going to Williams was the best thing he could do. Like when DC went to RBR, he used his experience to the best effect and helped Williams greatly
Old 9 Nov 2017, 23:54 (Ref:3779710)   #36
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think going to Williams was the best thing he could do. Like when DC went to RBR, he used his experience to the best effect and helped Williams greatly

I think you are right, and I also think that Williams and Stroll are going to deeply regret dumping Massa and appointing any of the three candidates touted for Massa's place.

Williams seem to continuously shoot themselves in the foot with their driver selections.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:08 (Ref:3779760)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IDK, if Kubica is still as good as before, who knows?
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3779764)   #38
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IDK, if Kubica is still as good as before, who knows?
True. As much as I'd like to see Kubica get the Williams seat, I don't think he's the same driver he was pre 2010. I hope I'm wrong on that though. Would love to see him on the podium at some stage in 2018 if he get's the drive.

But I reckon Kubica - with his injuries and all, would still be a better driver than Massa.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3780137)   #39
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard not to be even a little moved/grown man crying when Felipe's little boy was on the radio at the end to him.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3780194)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Hard not to be even a little moved/grown man crying when Felipe's little boy was on the radio at the end to him.
yeah that was a very touching moment and kudos to the organizers/FOM for getting Massa and Barri on the podium to share some words and thoughts with the fans.

random thought though...is it really that hard in this day and age to provide for a translation in real time...whether it be translating the English Q&A into Portuguese for the local fans or vice versa for the TV audience at home?

not suggesting a voice over but a translation caption on the jumbotron (a little bit harder to do that in real time admittedly) and also for the TV broadcast (which could be easily done with a 30sec tape delay).
Old 13 Nov 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3780216)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

I am glad he gets a better result than he did last season at his final home GP and he certainly seemed to fired up and enjoyed it. I'm pleased for him
Old 16 Nov 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3780717)   #42
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
"Stroll needs a slower teammate!" Jaques Villeneuve

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...eneuve-978952/

Stage 1 - Fire Massa.

Stage 2 - Employ .........

Has anybody grilled Paddy yet?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...anges-for-2018

Last edited by wnut; 16 Nov 2017 at 11:55.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3780770)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

I don't know how having a slower team mate will help, surely a faster one helps him match that
Old 16 Nov 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3780803)   #44
loon
Rookie

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know how having a slower team mate will help, surely a faster one helps him match that
Perhaps slower the teammate larger the bag of cash from daddy Stroll
Old 16 Nov 2017, 22:02 (Ref:3780855)   #45
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Perhaps slower the teammate larger the bag of cash from daddy Stroll
I don't get the slower team mate either, and I think that Williams fundamentally have lost the art of developing a fast car, they constantly harp on about their lack of budget and get caught in the pay driver market.

Force India however seem to be able to avoid this trap and continuously outperform their budget limits.

Really thought that Paddy Lowe would have put an end to the pay driver nonsense. Hopefully they find someone worth the seat, not any of the three they have touted so far.