Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Oct 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3774452)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
Stanaway is prone to mistakes? You've got to be kidding! As a teenager you don't win 12 out of 18 Formel Masters races and 13 out of 18 German F3 races if you make mistakes ... by noting the Le Mans error you chose the only significant racing mistake of his entire career. Stanaway is quite possibly the most gifted driver to come out of New Zealand and considering the other possibilities are Amon and Thackwell, that's really saying something.
Hmm, wasn't there some bloke called McLaren too? Not to mention a certain Denis Hulme?

Pleased for Hartley, I just hope it works out for him.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3774464)   #17
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Stanaway is prone to mistakes? You've got to be kidding! As a teenager you don't win 12 out of 18 Formel Masters races and 13 out of 18 German F3 races if you make mistakes ... by noting the Le Mans error you chose the only significant racing mistake of his entire career. Stanaway is quite possibly the most gifted driver to come out of New Zealand and considering the other possibilities are Amon and Thackwell, that's really saying something.
I think I can remember two instances of Stanaway leading a race and caught completely asleep at a VSC restart and being passed. One was in GP3, can't remember where the other one was but I couldn't believe he did the same thing twice.

Also his 2 GP2 wins were a little lucky at the end. He overcooked the tyres at Monaco and had nothing left at the end, another lap he probably would have been passed. Then his second GP2 win he did the same thing and somehow got passed on the last lap with just a few corners to go. Through pure luck, a yellow or red flag suddenly ended the race and they had to go back to the previous timing line, where Richie was still ahead.

His 3.5 campaign also had some crashes, the most notable breaking his back when he went over the back of another car. That's one I'd consider significant, more than his Le Mans crash. But yeah WEC has been a bit disappointing for him, he's had what 2 wins in 5 years, team mates went on to be champs.

But anyway I'm not denying his talent, I think he's extremely quick and done wonders with most of the cars he's been in, which have normally not been leading teams. Just a shame he never got picked up as he might have been noticed a bit more - the Lotus drive in 3.5 was really his best chance to get noticed because it should have been a top team that year, but sadly that's the one where nothing went right and the team seem to suddenly have some issues as well because his team mate was struggling too. But yeah one of the quickest drivers around I think. I know others on this forum don't rate him quite as highly but I'm a bit biased

I actually feel a little disappointed he wants to return home to V8 Supercars. He has such potential on the international scene and the creds, V8SC he could come back and do in a decade, anytime he wants. Plus its already got some fantastic kiwi drivers in it with Giz, Scotty, Fabs. Andre might not be finished yet either.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3774479)   #18
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Welcome to TenTenths!

Richard
Old 17 Oct 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3774634)   #19
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other point which is why I have my hopes up is that despite the fact its been a while since he has piloted an open wheeler, the LMP1 cars are not exactly slouches and he has gone from winning Petit Le Mans race in A DPi car, to racing his 919 LMP1 car to this weekend in Austin in a F1 car...all in 3 consecutive weekends

So he is pretty experienced camapigner these days with regards to jumping into different teams, cars and environments with Continental tyres in DPi car and Michelin in LMP1 Porsche etc. He would have learned a great deal from years within Porsche alongside Webber and Timo and hopefully this year looked at how Lotterer goes about a race weekend.

Given plenty of running in FP1 and FP2 I think he can do the job....the big challenge will be these silly Pirelli tyres and how he can keep them in the window.

Anyway...will be great to have a fella back in STR that I can support. I will try and bag some merch for his one off race appearance
Old 17 Oct 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3774692)   #20
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Need to be realistic and compare him to how Lotterer did in his 1 off for Caterham(?)

If he can be within half a second of Kvyat's pace & finish the race I would say that is job done.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3774846)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he has nothing to lose. Itís not like heís using it for a future F1 career AFAIK, he can just go out and show F1 a talented driver they missed out on
Old 18 Oct 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3774877)   #22
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think he has nothing to lose. Itís not like heís using it for a future F1 career AFAIK, he can just go out and show F1 a talented driver they missed out on
Well, I would put him in a seat above Di Resta or Massa and probably ahead of Kubicza. So if he were to venture away from Red Bull, he could warrant a shot elsewhere. But maybe I'm overrating him, idk.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3774952)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Well, I would put him in a seat above Di Resta or Massa and probably ahead of Kubicza. So if he were to venture away from Red Bull, he could warrant a shot elsewhere. But maybe I'm overrating him, idk.
Hartley to Williams?

With Potsie hanging around as Martini brand ambassador?
Old 19 Oct 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3774979)   #24
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone have any information on this Kubicza guy? First I've heard of him.

I've heard of a Paul di Resta though.

Old 19 Oct 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3774997)   #25
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree......if Hartley puts in a solid performance at TorroRosso, I think Williams would be silly to not consider him......he has made a good name for himself by winning LeMans and possibly will soon be the WEC drivers champ, quite a seasoned driver........either way, I think he will be better than DiResta and Kubica.......I think we already have the answer for both drivers, Kubica was about as good as Palmer........and for me DiResta is an arrogant type, who thinks he is better than any car he has ever driven, Anthony Hamilton summed him up perfectly in their court case. Diresta quite simply has not yet made a name for himself.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3775036)   #26
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
I've heard of a Paul di Resta though.
Glad you've heard of him. Di Resta is quite well known in F1 circles.

Was there a point to brining up your knowledge of him?
Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3775037)   #27
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Totally agree......if Hartley puts in a solid performance at TorroRosso, I think Williams would be silly to not consider him......he has made a good name for himself by winning LeMans and possibly will soon be the WEC drivers champ, quite a seasoned driver........either way, I think he will be better than DiResta and Kubica.......I think we already have the answer for both drivers, Kubica was about as good as Palmer........and for me DiResta is an arrogant type, who thinks he is better than any car he has ever driven, Anthony Hamilton summed him up perfectly in their court case. Diresta quite simply has not yet made a name for himself.
I don't know enough about di resta to know about his arrogance, but I was put off by hearing that he was cozying up to daddy stroll at the last race while the Williams's weren't there. That seems sleazy, even if part of the game.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3775063)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kubica only as good as Palmer? I know Palmer was probably better than he appeared, but Kubica is something else. Unless Williams consider Hartley, he is Williams' best option ATM
Old 19 Oct 2017, 22:47 (Ref:3775107)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Kubica only as good as Palmer? I know Palmer was probably better than he appeared, but Kubica is something else. Unless Williams consider Hartley, he is Williams' best option ATM
Yeah, I agree, Palmer is probably William's best option.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3775108)   #30
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But is it up to Williams? Or is it up to Lance’s Dad?