Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Nov 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3779244)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
After he was within one corner of winning the WDC in 2008, I assumed that he would become WDC one day - or at least would have another chance or two. His performances in that year were really excellent.

I did not realise until I just checked that his win at that race in Brazil in 2008 was his last in F1. A few months later he was lucky to be alive after that accident. I guess we will never know if that had any affect on his driving.

I think the time is right for him to move on.
I always wondered whether his accident at the Hungaroring affected him.

There's an interview with him after the accident but it doesn't reveal much, though he says he doesn't remember it.

https://youtu.be/Ke4HYr6oC5A
Old 7 Nov 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3779324)   #17
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's nice Williams have given Felipe the dignity of announcing it himself, despite the common understanding that he was given the tap on the shoulder. Unfortunately the same didn't happen with Rubens!

A sad day for F1 though, no Brazilian drivers on the grid for next year as it stands
Old 7 Nov 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3779332)   #18
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's embarrassing for a driver to get the 'tap on the shoulder' at anytime in his career. But to get the tap on the shoulder twice, two years running, is a joke really.

Thanks for your contribution to F1 Massa, especially for helping make a champ out a chump during the most boring years in F1 that I could remember. Too bad about 2008. But shiz happens as they say. Goodbye. Good luck. Thank goodness.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 23:21 (Ref:3779335)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
I never thought he had the stuffing to win a WDC even before his accident. Nevertheless, he's one of the good guys and he'll be missed.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 01:58 (Ref:3779359)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I always wondered whether his accident at the Hungaroring affected him.

There's an interview with him after the accident but it doesn't reveal much, though he says he doesn't remember it.

https://youtu.be/Ke4HYr6oC5A

I must admit that I never thought that he fully recovered from the injury he suffered. I also felt that Brawn were never brought to book for their part in allowing a car which they knew could lose a spring out on the track!
Old 8 Nov 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3779367)   #21
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
It's embarrassing for a driver to get the 'tap on the shoulder' at anytime in his career. But to get the tap on the shoulder twice, two years running, is a joke really.

Thanks for your contribution to F1 Massa, especially for helping make a champ out a chump during the most boring years in F1 that I could remember. Too bad about 2008. But shiz happens as they say. Goodbye. Good luck. Thank goodness.
You completely forget that Williams actually asked him back, but let's not let facts get in the way of your once again tiresome and unnecessary hatred for a universally liked driver.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3779370)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I never thought he had the stuffing to win a WDC even before his accident. Nevertheless, he's one of the good guys and he'll be missed.
I thought Hamilton lucked into that first WDC, what with a mixture of rain and Timo Glock. He won by just one point and it would be 6 years before he would win his second WDC, during which he either finished 4th or 5th. Had Massa won, in 2008, I would have had him down as a worthy champion.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3779376)   #23
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
You completely forget that Williams actually asked him back
No. But you must have forgotten that Williams were desperate, with no other realistic choice. Massa was desperate to get back into F1 too. It was desperation on both sides that led to Massa returning. If Williams had more time to make that decision again, I doubt Massa would have been asked back.

As for universally liked driver, that's your opinion. You are entitled to it. Just as I'm entitled to mine. Just because you don't agree, there's no need to stink up the forum with unnecessary comments.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 05:44 (Ref:3779394)   #24
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Not going to get into an argument on semantics but "universally liked" was a direct reference to the majority of the forum, as well as the many, many ex and current drivers ringing his praise in tribute; as opposed to my personal opinion.

To compete at a strong level for eight more seasons after almost losing his life is an incredible effort and deserves to be applauded.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3779442)   #25
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa sure wasn't liked aroind f1....

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37970529
Old 8 Nov 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3779443)   #26
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Massa sure wasn't liked aroind f1....

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37970529
And it was that love of Massa that brought him back. 'I was touched by the response from so many fans who wanted to see me back in the sport'

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2017/1/massa-and-the-four-other-race-winners-who-came-out-of-retirement.html
Old 8 Nov 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3779446)   #27
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing about Massa that set him apart from lots of other drivers wasn't that he had more hunger to win or that he was more ruthless, or that he didn't really care about anyone else, or that he was one of the greats, a talent apart, or in fact that he shone more brilliantly than others in terms of 'natural talent'.

What set him apart was that he was quick (hey, he was in F1 after all), he was the perfect team player - to his own misfortune at times, and he carried himself with tremendous dignity most of the time, even when we could see his inner fury at a situation.

(I may have said something similar before)

Above all, he seems like a jolly nice bloke. No wonder he's popular.

I think F1 as a whole will be worse off without him, tbh.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 12:55 (Ref:3779452)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He’s always been one for the fans, I was very pleased to get his (and Smedley’s) autograph at the 2016 AI
Old 8 Nov 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3779463)   #29
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The thing about Massa that set him apart from lots of other drivers wasn't that he had more hunger to win or that he was more ruthless, or that he didn't really care about anyone else, or that he was one of the greats, a talent apart, or in fact that he shone more brilliantly than others in terms of 'natural talent'.

What set him apart was that he was quick (hey, he was in F1 after all), he was the perfect team player - to his own misfortune at times, and he carried himself with tremendous dignity most of the time, even when we could see his inner fury at a situation.

(I may have said something similar before)

Above all, he seems like a jolly nice bloke. No wonder he's popular.

I think F1 as a whole will be worse off without him, tbh.
Well said. I can't think of a better way to view him than this. He basically is a world champion, just without the title to show for it. Of course it seems he lost a step after his accident, but that's understandable. I don't think he was ever one of the top 3 or so in the series, but was good enough to be up there with them. I remember an article in a racer magazine that compared the top 6 in the series at the time, and he came off as the weakest of those 6, mostly because it said he was weaker in wet conditions and lacked the natural ability to wring the most out of any setup like a Hamilton, but that shouldn't really be a knock against him. He was good enough to be a champ in the right circumstances.

I won't miss him necessarlily, because he has been mired in the midfield on a middling team of late, just as I wouldn't really miss Perez (except for teammate fireworks), grosjean, hulkenberg, and a few others. But I respect the really good career he has had and the fact that he seems to be well respected and well liked.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3779487)   #30
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have always liked Massa. I wish him well. But I am only a fan of the sport. I am clearly unqualified to have an opinion.

Richard