Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 15 Feb 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2633826)   #251
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't see the begining of the race, so am just catching up with the highlights.

It doesn't look like there was any contact with Hornish here: http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2010...car/index.html
(Approx. 2:05 in)
I suppose he could have taken air off him, but it doesn't really look like it. Commentators said he "just got loose" too.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2633857)   #252
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't think Hornish got into Joe, either. There were a lot of loose cars out there; Kahne and JR come to mind. Dinger, Joe, and Sadler were just unable to "save" the car and crashed.

as for pretty boys winning, maybe it was because I was wearing my Bass Pro Shops hat; sorry Dutton, should've been wearing last year on Sunday's, i reckon.

and i agree with Adam43; leave bumps, just resurface it and make it faster. talk about separating boys from men!

the only reason i did not hate the stoppages was that I got the chance to watch the Chili Bowl Midget race and some of the Luge
Old 15 Feb 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2634063)   #253
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
EGR.

Fantastic!
Old 16 Feb 2010, 02:50 (Ref:2634147)   #254
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
How strange. Front Row Joe didn't last more than a few laps again.....

Either they have the worst preparation, worst luck in the field, or the team just shows up, takes the start money, then runs away.

I wonder how well they'd go if they actually tried to complete a race?
You actually bother to watch the race? He got wrecked by Hornish.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 06:05 (Ref:2634184)   #255
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, he was near Hornish when he spun.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2634211)   #256
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
NASCAR has to figure out a stable fix without repaving the whole place, drivers have said the glass surface at Talladega isn't fun for them and can;t be a good watch. Also, according to the ratings info released today, the race lost 16% of last year's audience; was it the delay or a day that wasn't really good for a lot of guys to be allowed to watch it with or without the long delay. And an ESPN survey had 56% of fans say the pothole and its delays were the most memorable event of speedweek, unfortunately followed by danica's debut 16% and then McMurray's win @ 14%. When the winner and his move to win comes in third, that doesn't make for a good event to me.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2634250)   #257
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
You actually bother to watch the race? He got wrecked by Hornish.
He picked up a sponsor for the race too didnt he?
Old 16 Feb 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2634290)   #258
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Also, according to the ratings info released today, the race lost 16% of last year's audience; was it the delay or a day that wasn't really good for a lot of guys to be allowed to watch it with or without the long delay.
In times of economic lows don't television audiences usually go up? They reckoned that the Superbowl would be up this year (I don't know if that came to pass).
Old 16 Feb 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2634441)   #259
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
In times of economic lows don't television audiences usually go up? They reckoned that the Superbowl would be up this year (I don't know if that came to pass).
The 2010 Superbowl was the most watched program in US history. Nascar is losing viewers/fans.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2634460)   #260
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The 2010 Superbowl was the most watched program in US history. Nascar is losing viewers/fans.
can't imagine why....
Old 16 Feb 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2634504)   #261
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If Tranica was in the race, the ratings woulda doubled last years. :P
Old 16 Feb 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2634664)   #262
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
He got taken out, wasn't his fault.
He always get's taken out, or "retires with mechanical issues" before 1/4 distance!! Nobody has that much bad luck. Do they?

He ran quite well in Nationwide last year, where he had backing.

I still feel it's turn up and take the start money. He's clearly fast enough to run with the field - they wouldn't call him Front Row Joe for nothing.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2634882)   #263
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Wow....long race...

Nice to see a underdog in winners circle.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2634937)   #264
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I still feel it's turn up and take the start money. He's clearly fast enough to run with the field - they wouldn't call him Front Row Joe for nothing.
i love the former motorcycle racer, the 1992 NW Series Champ and 4 time Cup race winner, one of the last of the guys who "blue collared" their way to the top, and is still doing so. i see how some might get the impression that he is just showing to take the start money and maybe you are right but that doesn't sound like "Front Row" Joe to me; a racer is a racer.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2635192)   #265
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
i love the former motorcycle racer, the 1992 NW Series Champ and 4 time Cup race winner, one of the last of the guys who "blue collared" their way to the top, and is still doing so. i see how some might get the impression that he is just showing to take the start money and maybe you are right but that doesn't sound like "Front Row" Joe to me; a racer is a racer.
Believe it or not, but Joe has a huge contingent of fans as well.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2635368)   #266
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Joe racing against "The Intimidator" and being right up there, but this last few seasons he never seems to make it much past lap 50 in cup races, which is almost like they only have enough $$$$ for one tank of gas, or one set of rubber.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2635567)   #267
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I remember Joe racing against "The Intimidator" and being right up there, but this last few seasons he never seems to make it much past lap 50 in cup races, which is almost like they only have enough $$$$ for one tank of gas, or one set of rubber.
I think you memory might be a little clouded - last year, which was the first with a self-owned team, Nemechek completed, on average, 70 laps per race. He finished 40th in the standings and collected $2,411,236 for his troubles. These numbers obviously include several "start & park" races, as well as several races where he ran the distance.

In 2008, however, he was driving for the #78 Furniture Row team and completed 8223 of the roughly 10600 total laps (despite missing four races).
Old 18 Feb 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2635827)   #268
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I think you memory might be a little clouded - last year, which was the first with a self-owned team, Nemechek completed, on average, 70 laps per race. He finished 40th in the standings and collected $2,411,236 for his troubles. These numbers obviously include several "start & park" races, as well as several races where he ran the distance.

In 2008, however, he was driving for the #78 Furniture Row team and completed 8223 of the roughly 10600 total laps (despite missing four races).
You are correct, but I would like to clarify that Nemco has been around for a long time. Joe's been preparing his own cars for most of his career.
Old 19 Feb 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2636075)   #269
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You are correct, but I would like to clarify that Nemco has been around for a long time. Joe's been preparing his own cars for most of his career.
Yep he's always, for example, driven his own cars, dating back to 1989, in the Nationwide series where he has 16 victories to his name (including one Daytona 300 trophy).

Also, I need to correct myself - I wrote in my previous post that last year was his first running his own Sprint Cup team. What I should've written is that last year was his first running his own Sprint Cup team in quite some time, since he ran his own team during the 1995 and 1996 seasons as well (as well as for a few races during the 1993 season).

Personally I've always been a fan of Joe Nemechek. I still remember the 1999 New Hampshire race where he won his first Cup race, being chased to the checkered flag by a certain Indycar crossover rookie, like it was yesterday
Old 19 Feb 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2636258)   #270
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Looks like we need to start a Front Row Joe thread!

has he ever won as an owner/driver in the Cup series?
Old 19 Feb 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2636274)   #271
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Looks like we need to start a Front Row Joe thread!

has he ever won as an owner/driver in the Cup series?
No, his four Cup wins have all come driving for others:

1999 - Dura Lube / Kmart 300, New Hampshire, driving the #42 Bellsouth Chevy for Felix Sabates Racing
2001 - Pop Secret Microwave Popcorn 400, Rockingham, driving the #33 Oakwood Homes Chevy for Andy Petree Racing
2003 - Pontiac Excitement 400, Richmond, driving the #25 UAW-Delphi Chevy for Hendrick Motorsports
2004 - Banquet 400, Kansas, driving the #01 U.S. Army Chevy for MB2 Motorsports