Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2420815)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post

Do you think Ross Brawn is still favouring Ferrari for example?
No,and the difference is that the little French guy hasn't worked for anyone else since leaving them.Even if that wasn't the case I wouldn't want any ex-team principles putting in for the job of FIA president.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2420920)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'm afraid you're asking too much... or what you're asking doesn't really have any weight.

Maybe Brawn would be a better option.
Old 21 Mar 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2421109)   #28
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You guys amaze me. When he was working for Ferrari he did what he was supposed to do - work for Ferrari. Whatever he does next I'm certain he'll bring the same professionalism to that role.
I'd not like to see someone with such strong ties to a team become the leader of the FIA. Especially when said governing body is already seen by many to favour the team in question. Regardless of whether Todt approached the role fairly, he'd still be lambasted whenever a decision went in Ferrari's favour. Not his fault, for sure, but there's a potential conflict of interest there which can't really be resolved.

The Brawn analogy is essentially worthless. Moving to a new team in F1 is not akin to taking the senior role within it's governing body.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 03:47 (Ref:2422416)   #29
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While Todt is one my least favourite motorsport characters, he is a very successful and inteligent man. Mad Max has been at it too long and perhaps a change of leadership could also shift the balance of power away from Bernie.
With the new united front of FOTA being led by De Mozeralla and Ferrari then the long conspired relationship between FIA-Ferrari could be beneficial for the sport and get the two parties (FOTA, FIA) to work together for the good of the sport.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2422496)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So we are saying that Ferrari and the FIA working together is good for the sport?

Montezemolo isn't the permanent president of FOTA either.He's just doing his stint.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2422518)   #31
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
I think you all judge him on the "Rubens, please let Michael for the championship" bit
He did a great job at Ferrari, he changed the whole culture of laziness and
I could'nt be bothered to read any more...

Seriously though Ferrari were a team I liked before Todt took control, they had character. If that was due to laziness then bring it back. But I am pretty sure no race teams ever do anything but work long hours - cant imagine most workers putting up with the hours and disruption the job entails.

Also re the president of the FIA role, I suggest we put a restriction on humanoid height to say minimum 5ft 8" to ensure the small men dont get their hands on it.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2422522)   #32
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
There was no culture of laziness at Ferrari. Just a culture of chaos and disorganisation.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2422591)   #33
rayburn
Racer

United Kingdom
rayburn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
There was no culture of laziness at Ferrari. Just a culture of chaos and disorganisation.

Exactly. And that was what JT was brought in to sort out. There were all sorts of factions warring against each other at Ferrari, and he had the skill to get them all working together, plus he brought in a few key personnel - Ross Brawn, etc.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2422594)   #34
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I doubt anybody on here would question Jean Todt's ability to manage a team. He is probably the best there is.

But is he a suitable candidate for FIA presidency? I'd have to say no.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2422615)   #35
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd have to say yes! I think its pretty funny that some people think he's a Ferrari fan, in the same way we have our favourite teams! He's a professional.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2422625)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I'd have to say yes! I think its pretty funny that some people think he's a Ferrari fan, in the same way we have our favourite teams! He's a professional.
It isn't anything to do with fandom. He has very strong ties with Ferrari and is therefore an unsuitable candidate for FIA presidency.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2422628)   #37
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What strong ties? Is he still going to be on the pay roll?

Professional footballers don't play in a biased way just because they don't play for the team that they're a fan of, or have been previously linked to.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2422635)   #38
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
What strong ties? Is he still going to be on the pay roll?

Professional footballers don't play in a biased way just because they don't play for the team that they're a fan of, or have been previously linked to.
Another dreadful anology.

If we must compare the situation with football, it'd be the equivalent of Sir Alex Ferguson becoming Chairman of UEFA.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2422646)   #39
Glen
Veteran

Dreadful in your opinion you mean?

Alex Ferguson would be a fine example though - just as good. He's a professional too and perfectly capable of that sort of job without bias to Man U.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2422651)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
He's a professional.
He's a professional ex-Ferrari employee,and I wouldn't want him to get the job any more than I would want Ron Dennis to have the job,who,incidentally,has publicly stated that he doesn't want it and shouldn't take it for the reasons given above.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72998
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2422654)   #41
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Dreadful in your opinion you mean?
Who else's opinion would it be?

Quote:
Alex Ferguson would be a fine example though - just as good. He's a professional too and perfectly capable of that sort of job without bias to Man U.
I'm not suggesting that Jean Todt would be biased.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2422660)   #42
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Who else's opinion would it be?
"First and foremost 10 Tenths is a discussion forum – be aware that not everyone will agree with your viewpoint – that doesn’t make it wrong or right – just different."

Read that somewhere - can't remember where!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2422663)   #43
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
"First and foremost 10 Tenths is a discussion forum – be aware that not everyone will agree with your viewpoint – that doesn’t make it wrong or right – just different."

Read that somewhere - can't remember where!
What's your point?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2422669)   #44
Glen
Veteran

My point is that just because my opinion differs from yours it doesn't make my post "dreadful", as you put it.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2422674)   #45
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I felt it was a dreadful analogy and said so. You've said you find my opinion funny, and you're entitled to that viewpoint also.

However, moving from one sports team to another is different from moving from a sports team to become leader of that sport's governing body.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2422684)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we're going for a football analogy,
Should Platini be president of UEFA considering his links to Nancy, Saint Etienne and Juventus?
I think sometimes people want the best of both, they clamour for someone from within the sport to be at the top because they'll know the workings and yet complain of bias as soon as someone from within the sport is appointed!!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2422695)   #47
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Should Platini be president of UEFA considering his links to Nancy, Saint Etienne and Juventus?
I think sometimes people want the best of both, they clamour for someone from within the sport to be at the top because they'll know the workings and yet complain of bias as soon as someone from within the sport is appointed!!
An interesting analogy (in my opinion, naturally).

I'm tempted to say that Platini's links with his former clubs aren't as strong as those of Todt to Ferrari and Fergie to Manchester United, but it's impossible to measure the strengths of links isn't it?

I don't think we necessarily need someone from within the sport. F1 (and indeed motorsport) is only part of the FIA's remit. Todt could do a good job as FIA president, but from an F1 perspective I think it'd be damaging.

And I'll reiterate that I'm not suggesting Jean Todt would be biased.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2422696)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Fortunately the referees are the ones who have to make the split-second decisions.This rarely happens in F1 and it usually drags on for days after involving everyone within the sport.I'm sure that if a soccer referee had been looking at the incident at Spa last season for example he would have quickly waved play on.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2422707)   #49
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marbot, agreed that the referees have to make split-second decisions, however their decisions can be reviewed and amended.
The benefit with football is possibly that the result stands (99% of the time) and alternative forms of punishment are considered for any incident resolved after the whistle.
Maybe this is something F1 should look at and state that the result at the flag will stand, but retrospective punishments should be imposed.

Back on to Todt's suitability, or lack of, for FIA president. Surely anyone with an interest in automobilia strong enough to warrant them considering the FIA role would have allegiances/interests in one team or another. This will usually always be the case, but looking back at the Platini analogy, the move from coach/player to presidency was not instantaneous. Platini spent a period of time progressing up the UEFA ladder, so maybe the FIA should look to promote from within, and if Todt is serious about one day succeeding to the FIA presidency then he needs to spend some 'time in the ranks'?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2422716)   #50
Glen
Veteran

Oh no - commonsense has broken out!