Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2427084)   #1
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What options do Mclaren have ...

Given that they (Mclaren) can't design their own tyres and the rear wing is limited in size etc. (and the fact they haven't opted for the controversial design)

Does anyone know how they can increase the down force on the rear of the car ? They said the team are working night and day to resolve it but what will they be doing ....
I mean when in snows I drop something heavy in the boot of my car to increase the Grip but I guess the answer is a little more sophisticated....
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2427090)   #2
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman View Post
Given that they (Mclaren) can't design their own tyres and the rear wing is limited in size etc. (and the fact they haven't opted for the controversial design)

Does anyone know how they can increase the down force on the rear of the car ? They said the team are working night and day to resolve it but what will they be doing ....
I mean when in snows I drop something heavy in the boot of my car to increase the Grip but I guess the answer is a little more sophisticated....
Of course you chuck the weight in to help traction, if your problem was oversteer the extra weight would make the tendency to oversteer worse by about the same amount as it increased the grip! I should add that I havn't a clue what I'm talking about except for some basic physics so I guess the engineers will be along in a minute to shoot me down in flames.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2427091)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Normally they would have been able to fall back on last seasons car while they sort the issues out,but obviously,because of the rule changes, that's not going to happen this season.

They need more downforce on the car,but then they always want more.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2427092)   #4
calibrax
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rochester, Kent
calibrax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could ask Brawn GP to give them the blueprints for the BGP001, and if they refuse then tell them to find a different engine supplier...
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2427093)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about a double decker diffuser?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2427095)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
They could ask Brawn GP to give them the blueprints for the BGP001, and if they refuse then tell them to find a different engine supplier...
Virgin Brawn Cosworth.........
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2427121)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
One thing's for certain. McLaren will soon find out if they've got a half decent development driver in the squad. With the testing cuts they'll have to try and sort the car out on a free practice by free practice basis.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2427129)   #8
rayburn
Racer

United Kingdom
rayburn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose we now know why they were running last years wing in testing.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2427144)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The answer may still well lie in the rear wing - there are a lot of design possibilities within the regulations, just compare the different solutions each team has come up with.

However, the problem is likely less to do with the wing itself and more to do with the rear wing's interactions with other bodywork on the car, such as the diffuser, airbox, sidepods, etc - it could even be down to the nose of the car. Somewhere in the grand aerodynamic scheme of the car there is something that isn't working as intended, and it is manifesting itself in a lack of rear downforce. I doubt the solution will be mechanical (suspension, weight distribution, etc) - they have to pin down the aero problem and resolve it.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2427166)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
One thing's for certain. McLaren will soon find out if they've got a half decent development driver in the squad. With the testing cuts they'll have to try and sort the car out on a free practice by free practice basis.
PDR is a good development driver and not a bad racer,so he'll be spending lots of time 'simulating' stuff back at the factory.But there's no substitute for on-track testing,and maybe what they have on a race weekend is probably not enough.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2427173)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
could they try something like Red Bull did with the reintroduction of a pull rod suspension system?
the commentators on speed were suggesting that one of its benefits is an increase in rear downforce. found this on F1technical.net about Red Bull's solution.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2427174)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
could they try something like Red Bull did with the reintroduction of a pull rod suspension system?
the commentators on speed were suggesting that one of its benefits is an increase in rear downforce. found this on F1technical.net about Red Bull's solution.
It does seem to work on the Red Bull.I wonder what Mike Coughlan is doing right now ?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2427175)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The option I favour right now is packing their bags and going home, heads hung in shame.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2427179)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
The option I favour right now is packing their bags and going home, heads hung in shame.
If only they'd have stuck with Montoya.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2427180)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Supposedly RBR's pullrod suspension prohibits them from doing a double decker diffuser.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2427183)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
If only they'd have stuck with Montoya.
Yeah, exactly what I was insinuating.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2427218)   #17
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Supposedly RBR's pullrod suspension prohibits them from doing a double decker diffuser.
Although judging by Vettel's time in quali RBR don't need it as much as others do.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2427233)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would explain why they were so vocal about the design. If the diffusers are not banned they could be left behind the entire season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2427240)   #19
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap View Post
This would explain why they were so vocal about the design. If the diffusers are not banned they could be left behind the entire season.
And safe to say, their sponsors willl be furious.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2427246)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
And safe to say, their sponsors willl be furious.
Will they be furious with the team for not interpreting the regulations correctly or the FIA for supposedly saying that they couldn't have a diffuser like the ones on the Toyota etc when in fact they could?

Some teams did in fact ask the FIA for advice regarding diffusers.They were told that they could not use the idea they had thought of.Maybe because their idea was in fact illegal?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2427249)   #21
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Will they be furious with the team for not interpreting the regulations correctly or the FIA for supposedly saying that they couldn't have a diffuser like the ones on the Toyota etc when in fact they could?

Some teams did in fact ask the FIA for advice regarding diffusers.They were told that they could not use the idea they had thought of.Maybe because their idea was in fact illegal?
Sponsors can care less about FIA regulations. They just want their team out front and their name splashed on the TV often.

So they've given defending World Champion money to a defending World Champion team and they're going to be running around in 14th out of 20 it's looking like. In this world economy, that's a recipe for the following statement in October: "we have made the decision to scale back our involvement in Formula One and the McLaren Formula One team. We wish McLaren the best in their future endeavors".
Old 28 Mar 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2427296)   #22
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Pull or push rod won't make any difference to the downforce. It's the packaging of the body work around it that produces the downforce, not the type of suspension. It may be the because of the particular geometry, they can get bits of aero help in places they would normally not be able to.

And changing a car to run pull instead of push would mean a redesigned gearbox, suspension, shocks, rear bodywork and wing. Not an overnight job.

I donlt think that even having a brilliant dev. driver will help them overmuch. There *appears* to be a major flaw in the car that simple driver development won't be able to fix without major redesign (and dev. drivers don't do design, they set up what is there)

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2427301)   #23
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Sponsors can care less about FIA regulations. They just want their team out front and their name splashed on the TV often.
*couldn't care less. Could care less means they do care.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2427365)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap View Post
During the practice sessions friday, Maurice Hamilton and Ian Phillips (of Force India) were talking about this and said that should the decision go against Brawn, Williams and Toyota it would be easier for them to adopt to the other type of diffuser, but they thought the decision will go for them (Brawn, Williams and Toyota) and it will be harder for the others to adopt to the type of diffuser used by the 3 above.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2427374)   #25
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jense, RB and the rest of the team really would deserve reward for their work and dedication. Honda missed the train but the rest pulled up their boot straps and got it done. It would seem criminal to force them to rebuild their car.