Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2739963)   #1
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should the FiA introduce a 'bad boy' points system and/or start giving out bans?

Hey there,
A thought which has been going through my head since the Schumi-Rubens incident and the outcry.

Does anyone know when the last time a driver was banned for causing a crash or driving outside of the rules and/or another on track misdemenor?

The last DSQ I can remember was Hamilton's after Austrailia last year, but this wasn't down to his driving? Before that, the next I can think of is BAR (who were also banned for two races? Can't remember the year though 2005, maybe?) after the second fuel tank secret but that was a team rather than a driver and it wasn't down to an incident during a race.
Other than the odd DSQs during the late-90s due to cars being under-weight and using the wrong sets of tyres I cannot remember anyone actually being banned.

The last I can actually remember a ban was, Irvine being banned after the 4 car shunt in Brazil or possibly M. Schumacher overtaking Damon Hill on the formation lap (and then ignoring a black flag? Can't remember the race though), both of which happened in 1994 I believe and both of which recieved pretty heavy bans. The more I think about it now, the Schumacher incident because Brazil was pretty early on in the year back in those days.

So is it one of those events from 1994 that led to the last actual banning of a driver for an agressive/stupid incident or illigal action?
If so, thats 16 years without a driving actually being banned for a whole host of potentially dangerous incidents.

But more seriously, should the FIA introduce something like a 'points system' and then enough points = a ban or should the FIA just start banning drivers again, if an incident is serious enough?
Also how would they do it?

And final question, who was the first driver to be banned from an F1 race and what was the reason why?

Apologies, if this is already out there somewhere but I thought it was a rather good time to start a topic like this.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2740041)   #2
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Yuji Ide was effectively banned for being a **** driver in an F1 car in 2007(?).
Old 6 Aug 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2740242)   #3
Perksy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Pershore
Perksy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would be great....we could have endless debates about each penalty on ten-tenths!
Old 6 Aug 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2740344)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perksy View Post
This would be great....we could have endless debates about each penalty on ten-tenths!
We already have endless debates about each penalty or lack of potential penalties.

I don't think it's necessarily such a bad idea beau1. It would lead to a strikes system, and be a bit like points on the road, thus repeated offences lead to a ban, so there would be a progressive punishment of sorts. The challenge would still remain of how to consistently treat driving offences.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2740627)   #5
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theoretically not an awful idea... however, practically F1 should try to move away from subjectivity. The safety car rules might as well be in Greek Hieroglyphics and the design regs have bigger holes than the diffusers and are bent more than the front wings (I'll let you fill in your own F-duct pun). The penalties are almost random and completely dependant upon timing and luck (lately drive-throughs for Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel have produced three vastly different outcomes). At least the rule on team orders is black and white...