Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 Jun 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3098662)   #1
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2013 Nascar Silly Season

Kenseth leaving Rousch/Fenway. Stenhouse Jr. takes his place.

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...g-roush-fenway
Old 26 Jun 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3098681)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Matt Kenseth is 40! Crazy how time flies!

I'm glad Stenhouse has found a spot.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3098741)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah hard to believe that guy is 40 and that he has a kid that is a Sophomore at Clemson, or something like that.

This is quite the shocker as even though Ricky seems to be the real deal, Kennseth is most certainly having his strongest year in some time, but I am assuming this decision was some months ago.

Matt will find a good seat as he has some good years left yet. According to the article, perhaps JGR....
Old 27 Jun 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3098799)   #4
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope kenseth stays in the Ford camp. But after reading an article, Ford’s racing director Jamie Allison indicated that Kenseth would not drive a Ford in 2013. I kinda dont believe that. I just get the feeling that he is going to Penske Racing in the #12. Maybe Petty if thet stay in the Ford camp. But I dont think Petty is in control of his own team. just someone who runs it.

If not those 2 teams, then most likely JGR
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3098816)   #5
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess with Biffle running well in the chase and Carl being the RFR golden boy Kenseth was the obvious choice to make way.

JGR or possible SHR if Newman doesn't pick his game up are the only front-line teams I can think of that might have seats available. Especially as Smoke is going to be saddled with a third car that won't be running worth a damn anyway...

Also seen some state-side rumours that JGR may be looking at Kurt Busch (Kurt and Kyle in the same team - how's that for a Pit lane reporters nightmare?).
Old 27 Jun 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3098913)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be dead end for Matt at Penske. Stewart/Hass or JGR would his best move, of the already mentioned possibilities. The Busch sisters on the same team would comical.

And while I understand the the reasoning mentioned above about the Bif and Golden Carl, I can't remember a current Daytona 500 winner being told to take a hike. Even still, I thought that Matt had won more than one points race, but that ain't the case.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 01:40 (Ref:3099236)   #7
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems Andretti to Dodge is more than a rumor.

Quote:
Andretti is considering forming NASCAR team: One of IndyCar's biggest names could branch out to the Sprint Cup Series as Michael Andretti told SI.com that he is hoping to start a NASCAR team. "We were looking at NASCAR real close last year, too, but it fell apart," Andretti said. "We were looking at it just as hard last year as this year and the year before." If Andretti is able to find the right sponsorship, he could team up with Dodge and base his team out of the old Evernham Motorsports shop at the Statesville Regional Airport in Statesville, N.C. A Dodge source told SI.com that Andretti could probably team up with the engine manufacturer for $5 million to $6 million. That's because Dodge is losing its primary team in Sprint Cup at the end of this season as Penske Racing switches to Ford. Because of that, it is looking for a flagship team and Andretti could be a good fit, especially if it were to team up with Richard Petty Motorsports -- currently a Ford team paired with Roush Fenway Racing, but has a long history with Dodge. "I'm always looking at all options," Andretti said. "I'd be stupid not to listen to Dodge or any other manufacturers. It doesn't matter that we are a Chevy IndyCar team. It might be nice if it was all under one roof but, in our contract, we're a Chevy IndyCar team."(Sports Illustrated)(6-27-2012)
Old 28 Jun 2012, 04:05 (Ref:3099247)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The article mentions sponsorship issues and hints that Kenseth himself wasn't happy with his pay. The downside in the unassuming way he gathers his wins is that he might not get the same exposure the noisy headline grabbers get. We know Trevor Bayne's own 500 win wasn't enough to get him a full time ride. Uncertain times all round it would seem.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 07:22 (Ref:3099269)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noted it is one of if not the biggest race in the calendar, but in all honesty though the Daytona 500 was a lottery win, given the 2 car drafting etc. If he won the Coke 600 or something else "marquee" he may have had a better chance getting something long term
Old 28 Jun 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3099505)   #10
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ LOL @ Coke 600 being more "marquee" than the Daytona 500.

Sad part is that a girl of questionable stock car skills gets a 8 figure sponsorship to run Natioonwide, but a Daytona 500 WIN doesn't get a fulltime ride in ANY of NASCAR's top three series.

This is one more reason I detest corporate America. It's not who you know, its who you bl....
Old 28 Jun 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3099653)   #11
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
never said it was "more marquee"...
Old 28 Jun 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3099655)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If Andretti does run in the Nascar Cup Series, I wonder if Danica Patrick and jams Hinchcliffe could attempt the Memorial Day double.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3099684)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If Andretti does run in the Nascar Cup Series, I wonder if Danica Patrick and jams Hinchcliffe could attempt the Memorial Day double.
I don't see it, tbh. Adapting to stock cars isn't something that's done overnight.

I actually had assumed that he'd kill the Indycar program and elope to NASCAR the same way he defected from CART whenever there was talk that Andretti might set up a NASCAR team. It appears he's considering doing both.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 03:12 (Ref:3099701)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't see it, tbh. Adapting to stock cars isn't something that's done overnight.
I agree. Unfortunately, I see someone attempting the double is behind us for sometime, not just because of the stockcar adaption, but the Indy adaption and the month of May commitment as well. Maybe when money starts pouring into racing again, maybe. Right now, only a "certain driver" would attempt it as Dario proved that he can't drive a stockcar, Robby Gordon is over the hill and "done" with NASCAR (right?) and Smoke can't squeeze his fat ass into an Indy Car anymore, although, the DW12 is quite large and someone carved out the inside of a McLaren enough to shoe horn him in...

Who else? Hornish? Dinger?

Quote:
I actually had assumed that he'd kill the Indycar program and elope to NASCAR the same way he defected from CART whenever there was talk that Andretti might set up a NASCAR team. It appears he's considering doing both.
Why not? Penske and Ganassi do. If the money is there and the shoe fits...
Old 29 Jun 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3099899)   #15
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I guess there is.

Quote:
UPDATE: Sources have confirmed to PitPass.net that Michael Andretti has purchased the engine program from Penske Racing and will field at least one full time Dodge in the Cup series in 2013 and beyond. No word on who the driver is, but with Matt Kenseth leaving Roush at the end of the season, the 2003 Cup series champ did confirm to the Journal Sentinel on Wednesday that he will drive for "a new cup team" in 2013 and beyond. One option on the table is for Andretti to base his team out of the old Evernham Motorsports shop at the Statesville Regional Airport in Statesville, N.C. Also hearing from this unnamed source that this new deal with Dodge is also with Richard Petty Motorsports -- currently a Ford team paired with Roush Fenway Racing, but has a long history with Dodge. (this is why we didn't get the announcement of Petty to Dodge in Michigan a few weeks ago, they were trying to get Kenseth). Hearing that an offical announcement could come as early as next weekend.(PitPass.net)(6-282012)
Old 29 Jun 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3099911)   #16
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
It had seemed to me that Andretti is less financially secure than either Ganassi and Penske, and a bit vulnerable to the financial uncertainty within Indycar. Certainly the sponsorship has been a bit tricky with them of late. If my impression is correct, it's probable Dodge is footing more than the normal share of the bill to keep a foothold in Cup. I'm also actually taken aback that Kenseth appears to be heading there.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3100191)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
With the lack of availability currently in the Cup ranks, I am not surprised to see Kennseth considering anything. It is, however, very earlier on in the silly season, and there will sure to be others "out of a ride" in the coming months, giving way for more options. I would think there would be a handful of teams to tell Matt, "hey, we'll boot (this guy), to give you a seat".

I guess Andritti Racing and Dodge would make a cute couple; never really been a fan of either family.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 23:48 (Ref:3100323)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It had seemed to me that Andretti is less financially secure than either Ganassi and Penske, and a bit vulnerable to the financial uncertainty within Indycar. Certainly the sponsorship has been a bit tricky with them of late.
Teams in IndyCar, Indy Lights and Nascar Cup, promotion of two IndyCar races... if they were vulnerable, they wouldn't try so many businesses.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3100343)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where to for Marcos Ambrose in 2013 if RPM does go Dodge? Story Here

Are there any spare seats in Ford teams right now?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Jul 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3100428)   #20
HJJ
Veteran

United States
:fail:

Quote:
Bruton Smith would like mandatory cautions: Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith said NASCAR needs to implement mandatory cautions, or race stoppages, to bring more excitement to the races. "Call it what you want, but you've got to have caution flags," Smith said Saturday before the Sprint Cup race at Kentucky Speedway. "That creates excitement. You can't just sit there with nothing happening. It ruins the event. It's damaging to our sport." Cautions flags and caution laps are down this year in NASCAR. Many races this season have produced long green-flag runs without a lot of passing up front. Smith said NASCAR needs to deliberately create more double-file restarts. NASCAR made a rule change in 2009 that moved all the lead-lap cars to the front of the field, double-file, on all restarts after a caution flag. Those restarts often cause bumping late in races, and sometimes additional accidents. Smith said he wouldn't mind seeing a pseudo halftime at each race to cause an additional restart. NASCAR spokesman David Higdon said Friday: "We are constantly looking at ways to improve the racing. And we have mandatory cautions when we think it's needed at an event." But those mandatory cautions usually are for safety reasons so teams can check their tires and officials can check track conditions.(ESPN.com)(7-1-2012)
That's spec car racing for you.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3100449)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
@ Bruton; what a jackass. The introduction of the CoT has brought the level of racing up at boring tracks and reduced the level of racing at great tracks for mediocre racing everywhere.

So, sure, Bruton, let's throw a yellow every 30 laps and have a All Star type race every weekend. Improve the sport my ass. I think Tony Stewart's joking about running a figure 8 and half the cars running backward was seriously contemplated by this clown.
Old 1 Jul 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3100653)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
@ Bruton; what a jackass. The introduction of the CoT has brought the level of racing up at boring tracks and reduced the level of racing at great tracks for mediocre racing everywhere.

So, sure, Bruton, let's throw a yellow every 30 laps and have a All Star type race every weekend. Improve the sport my ass. I think Tony Stewart's joking about running a figure 8 and half the cars running backward was seriously contemplated by this clown.
Correct. Everything under the sun but actually rolling up the sleeves, engaging the brain and making the cars raceable. Why bother with all that when you can just throw in a few stunts? This kind of thinking has weakened the credibility of a lot of high level motorracing.
Old 2 Jul 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3100760)   #23
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huh, mandatory caution to increase excitement? That's so stupid! That rule will destroy NASCAR for good!
Old 2 Jul 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3100928)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
If they want safer commercial breaks, they should adopt heat races. Like, three 50 mile heats and a 300 mile final instead of 500 milers.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3101828)   #25
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So would it be called a lack-of-competition caution?