Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 16 Nov 2003, 09:44 (Ref:784899)   #101
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I actually did get a USB reader, as it happens. Dirt cheap.....

I don't have USB 2 though so I'm not getting any super fast speeds.

I do have one problem with it though. The instructions say that it should show as a removeable drive in My Computer, but it doesn't. Nor does it show in Explorer.

And yet its definitely there. If I go through the administrative tools route (through control panel), it's plainly there and I can access it. I'm just wondering why it doesn't show up in My Computer and Explorer?
Old 16 Nov 2003, 18:38 (Ref:785124)   #102
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What OS are you using? I know Win95 has problems with some USB devices. Win98 needs the driver installed first but should just show up in Explorer as the next available drive letter. I guess XP/ME/2000 works the same.

If you have TweakUI installed check that the drive letter isn't blocked/hidden. Only other thing I can suggest is try connecting via a hub, if you aren't already. Only reason I say that is that I have a problem on my laptop that the reader will be recognised but will only actually be able to read file if connected via a hub.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 04:05 (Ref:785399)   #103
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sounds complicated guys, get a Macintosh.....

(okay, I'll shutup, at least eatapc would understand)

in all serious though, good luck with your setup, and most importantly, when you find the sequence and method that works,always stick with it and don't take shortcuts, and especially never ever take out a card of the reader unless it is time to. If in doubt, leave the card in and do a restart, to avoid any card corruption nightmares.

and then there's card rescue software to consider.......

Last edited by djb; 17 Nov 2003 at 04:10.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 13:32 (Ref:785880)   #104
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm using XP without TweakUI. Its not a massive problem, because I still have another route to get at the pics - anyone who didn't have a little pc knowledge would be stuffed though......
Old 17 Nov 2003, 21:44 (Ref:786529)   #105
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone know how good the EOS 300D is ?
its a fair bit cheaper than the 10D, im not sure Id like the plasticness though.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:04 (Ref:786550)   #106
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Woody, I saw one in Dixon's over the weekend for about £900. You should be able to pick one up cheaper on the net. Just seen one at Digital Depot for £749.00
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:50 (Ref:786601)   #107
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a D10 ?
Old 18 Nov 2003, 08:27 (Ref:786819)   #108
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, you won't find a D10 for that kind of money - I should know, I spent a week looking....... The cheapest I found a D10 was £1099, if I remember correctly. In the end, I bought mine at London Camera Exchange for less than £1200.

Woody, look further up this thread for stuff on the 300D. I was in the market for one, but what others said put me off and pushed me towards the D10.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 13:08 (Ref:788188)   #109
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got my 300D the other day - it doesn't feel flimsy to me. I'm glad I saved the money over the 10D - let's face it, the prices are still falling fast and a better body than the 10D will be selling for less in a years time. I thinks it's better to invest in good lenses for now - unless you feel the need for a particularly rugged camera.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 13:11 (Ref:788191)   #110
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I do agree in the main with that, Stefan, but I was (and always have been) very happy with my existing EF lenses, and as Mrs. Ayse was happy to treat me........
Old 19 Nov 2003, 20:25 (Ref:788654)   #111
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a "Pro", I looked at the 300D...the write-ups seemed ok and I was seriously looking at getting one...then I found out that it will only take a total of 4 frames on "motordrive" before stopping. Ie: if you had a superb shunt sequence happening in front of you-you'd get the start but not the end which is no good for me! Lets face it-pictures that sell mostly in the press (disregard the normal agency type shots)are action sequences...which the 300D will not be able to provide. My 10D is sitting in the shop waiting for me to find the readies!! Aysedasi-where did you see a 10D for less than £1100? I'm keen to find out.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 13:39 (Ref:789494)   #112
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I can't remember the name of the site Baz, but I'm sure I did one of those comparison searches - I'll see if I can repeat it and let you know. It was only pennies short of £1100 though.......
Old 20 Nov 2003, 13:41 (Ref:789496)   #113
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
First try - Pixmania have it in stock at £1105

http://www.pixmania.com/dev/gui_web/...ue=uk&srcid=37
Old 20 Nov 2003, 13:45 (Ref:789502)   #114
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's the best I can find at the moment......
Old 20 Nov 2003, 23:31 (Ref:790090)   #115
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that A'D-though it still looks as though it won't be cheap as I will need extra battery packs, bigger memery cards etc with the amount of shooting I need to do. Then theres the new computer, scanner....I need a lottery win very soon!
Old 21 Nov 2003, 08:23 (Ref:790271)   #116
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I actually paid £1300 for mine with a 512 card and card reader. But I'll be looking for another card and another battery pack before next June.....

I was actually quite prepared to pay an additional £100 for the satisfaction of buying the thing in my local shop. Personal and well-informed service plus walking out of the door with it seemed rather preferable to ordering online......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 21 Nov 2003 at 08:24.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 08:47 (Ref:790295)   #117
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
If you need another battery try 7dayshop.com- they have non-Canon replacements for about £15. A genuine Canon battery normally retails at around £60.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 10:10 (Ref:790355)   #118
Ian_H
Rookie

England
Durham
Ian_H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another vote here for the 7dayshop batteries, last as long as the Canon ones and a fraction of the price.

Cheers
Ian
Old 21 Nov 2003, 12:57 (Ref:790538)   #119
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Actually, I've been using 7dayshop for some years (long before they were called 7dayshop, in fact). I've been buying all my films from them for years.......

What's the vote though on buying a couple of non-Canon batteries? Will they last as long? Would I be taking a risk by buying them as opposed to the real deal?
Old 21 Nov 2003, 12:59 (Ref:790542)   #120
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian_H
.....last as long as the Canon ones .....

Cheers
Ian
doh! Read the posts forst Ayse.......
Old 21 Nov 2003, 13:11 (Ref:790561)   #121
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about accessories, does anybody know the external cd burner Apacer Disc Steno CP100 ? It looks like quite some usable thing to have but is it practical ?
Old 21 Nov 2003, 13:47 (Ref:790616)   #122
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I see 7dayshop have a 1 gig CF card in stock for £151 and are selling 512mb cards for £75.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 18:07 (Ref:790890)   #123
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
What's the vote though on buying a couple of non-Canon batteries? Will they last as long? Would I be taking a risk by buying them as opposed to the real deal?
The Canon ones are 1100mAh, the 7-day ones are 1200mAh so in theory they should last a little longer. If you mean it terms of number of recharge cycles I don't think I've had them long enough to tell.

Put it another way, if the non-Canon one cost a quarter of the price and only lasts half as long you can still afford to replace it and be quids in.

Hmmm 1Gb cards... I feel a self Xmas pressie coming on
Old 21 Nov 2003, 18:10 (Ref:790893)   #124
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A question. If you have a digital camera why do you need a scanner? (See Snapper Baz post up there somewhere.)
Old 23 Nov 2003, 21:34 (Ref:792393)   #125
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Perhaps a little misleading...I need the scanner to produce images I can print/save to disk from my millions of 35mm colour negs/trans that are spread over the house/loft!