Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 30 Jun 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2240548)   #76
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another element of the scenario, apparently.......

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...31/1004/SPORTS
Old 30 Jun 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2240563)   #77
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Another element of the scenario, apparently.......

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...31/1004/SPORTS
New Hampshire: Yes please
Las Vegas: NO. 1.5 mile, high-banked tri-ovals have no place in open-wheel racing.

Like I posted earlier in the thread, they should have Indy, Michigan and Fontana as their superspeedways (If one or either of them is unavailable then have one or two races at Pocono), Motegi and New Hampshiire as their intermediate tracks and Milwaukee and Phoenix as short tracks.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 30 Jun 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2240584)   #78
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New Hampshire is only a mile long. Unless you're playing Newman/Haas Racing Featuring Nigel Mansell for the SNES, it's a short oval.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2240805)   #79
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
I absolutely cannot fathom the obsession many have for a street course, an abomination as far as I am concerned.

The oval could be used if there was a reason to.
There are, or were, a few other oval south of the border that could be used if the IRL ever got serious about latin America.

It is a nice big oval like Indy, Pocono, the late Ontario are/were, a rare beast anywhere.
As I said before, Argentinians had a love for open wheel cars, and if it wold work anywhere, it would work there.

There used to be a site that had diagrams of tracks past and present, world-wide but it is gone now, as far as I know.
What I am saying is why are you putting an oval forth that hasn't been used for 35 years? I've seen it and it doesn't even have catch fencing among most of it! The facilities are lacking and you would totally have to rebuild the place and repave it.

http://www.actc.org.ar/php/circuitos.php?pista=rafaela
Old 30 Jun 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2240852)   #80
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
New Hampshire is only a mile long. Unless you're playing Newman/Haas Racing Featuring Nigel Mansell for the SNES, it's a short oval.
Its 1.058 miles. I was working on the definition of between 1 and 2 miles long as intermediate.

Its very much like Milwaukee save for a few feet.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 30 Jun 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2240967)   #81
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Of the major one mile ovals, only Phoenix and Dover are listed at 1.000 mile to the lap. Rockingham, NC is 1.017, Chicago Motor Speedway is 1.029, Milwaukee is 1.032, and Loudon is 1.058 miles. Chicago is the most elongated, followed by Loudon, then Phoenix, Rockingham, Dover, and Milwaukee has the longest corners relative to the straights of any of them.

I'm still looking for video of CART from East Rutherford, Indycool. BTW, which course configuration did Arie have so much trouble with: 1984-87 or 1988-91?

Last edited by Purist; 30 Jun 2008 at 22:00.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2241036)   #82
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
1-mile has to be considered short-track as far as OW is concerned, though, surely? It is closer to intermediate for stocks, sure, but that is a different animal (I think I would be more inclined to say short regardless).

Anyway, where is the significance of the extra 0.0* of a mile? I had presumed everybody realised, and was comfortable with, the idea that tracks are rarely exact to mile (or half mile, or whatever).

Help me out here, what are we getting into a twist over?
Old 1 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2241167)   #83
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In reference to the proposed SMI package deal: I like Texas, Kentucky, and New Hampshire; I don't like Infineon in its motorcycle configuration, and would prefer Laguna Seca with the NoCal date; I'll hold on to Las Vegas for now, but I'd rather see a return of the street circuit used by Champ Car last year in the long run.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2241168)   #84
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Oh yeah, and FWIW, Nazareth was only .946 miles long.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2241645)   #85
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Haven't had any luck so far finding video of the Meadowlands races, Indycool, though the highlights footage of the 1987 QuakerState 500 from Pocono was really good. That's just wild watching those guys fan out six-wide by start/finish, and then seeing the different lines the guys try to make work through Turn 1.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 06:08 (Ref:2254253)   #86
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this thread for making fictional calendars?? If it is here's mine

St Petersburg
Long Beach
Phoenix
Indy
Milwaukee
Edmonton
Toronto
Cleveland
Road America
Michigan 500
Chicagoland
Iowa
Watkins Glen

**moderators delete this post** Pressed enter by mistake

Last edited by mclaren2007; 20 Jul 2008 at 06:15.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 06:10 (Ref:2254255)   #87
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this thread for making fictional calendars?? If it is here's mine
  1. Long Beach
  2. St Petersburg
  3. Houston
  4. Phoenix
  5. Indy
  6. Milwaukee
  7. Edmonton
  8. Toronto
  9. Cleveland
  10. Road America
  11. Michigan 500
  12. Chicagoland
  13. Iowa
  14. Kansas
  15. Mid Ohio
  16. Detroit
  17. Laguna
  18. Vegas Speedway
  19. Glen
  20. Mexico City
  21. Surfers
  22. Homestead Miami
Old 20 Jul 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2254341)   #88
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Purist, sorry for the late response, but it was '84, the first year.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 06:01 (Ref:2256338)   #89
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Thanks. I was looking at it from the perspective of the course configuration itself. And being a temporary circuit, if it was ever revived, that barrier issue could easily be sorted, and perhaps they could add a bit of signage for the drivers, just in case.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2748018)   #90
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Since we have a new thread, and by the same name I might add, I thought bringing this one up would be interesting. I was also trying to find this one to see what people, including myself, had previously laid down.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2748134)   #91
indycool
Veteran

Good thought in dragging this one up, Purist. For all everyone has said about schedules, where did Baltimore on Labor Day come from? NASCAR has its rumors about schedules, too, with Bruton wanting to move a second race to Vegas and ISC wanting to move its second Fontana race to Kansas. Guess it's why we guess and we hope for our favorites.