Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Feb 2000, 14:18 (Ref:6974)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I have just watched a replay of the truck race from Daytona and saw for the first time the crash that Bodine had and was wondering what his condition was???

this crash scared the heck out of me..and just when you thought it was over ..BAM!!!..he got hit and off he went again. he certainly was very lucky to survive this crash at all...
but that was a great race..are these things like that all the time???I saw one race last year on a road course and it was rather boring but this one was a cracker..seeing guys backing off in the draft was amazing and then when they got back on the gas they didnt loose any time at all..simply awesome..they have won me over..

but I was wondering how Geoff was dojng and what condition he is in as I knew he was ok ..but I still got that sinking feeling when I saw it for the first time..anybody know???
Old 23 Feb 2000, 15:30 (Ref:6975)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bodine suffered two broken ankles, a broken wrist, severe bruising, and a concusion.

The truck race was actually much better than the car race because of their high level of drag. They do not use a restrictor plate to limit the speed and they can race one another much better on the track than the cars can because ot it.

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 23 February 2000).]
Old 24 Feb 2000, 00:28 (Ref:6976)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Geoff Bodine was released from the hospital yesterday but will have surgery sunday to put a plate in his wrist. He is going to do an interview tomorrow that will be on ESPN's RPM2nite.
Old 24 Feb 2000, 19:55 (Ref:6977)   #4
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Geoff has now joined the ranks of those who know how lucky they are!

Something to aspire to....preferably without the flames.
Old 25 Feb 2000, 13:52 (Ref:6978)   #5
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else see Bodine's interview on RPM2Night Thurs. night? He looked in bad shape, but yes, I remember what he went through. I don't think Dr. Punch's questions about "what if you had died" did any help to the driver's psyche.

Geoff (Geoffrey) said that he had a near-death experience, that he saw and talked to his father who had died several years ago. He said his father told him that it wasn't his time yet. I was amazed at this since he said he was conscious even after he hit the fence and was awake even before the safety crew got him out of the truck.

A very powerful, emotional interview to say the least.
Old 25 Feb 2000, 23:30 (Ref:6979)   #6
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds very interesting...shame we Euros will probably never see it.
Old 26 Feb 2000, 01:46 (Ref:6980)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jared, Bodine said after the first big hit he blacked out for awhile. He said that seeing and talking to his father may have meant that he his heart stopped or he quit breathing for awhile from that point until he remembered when the track workers were trying to get him out of the car. It is certainly possible that his heart stopped for a few seconds and then was restarted by the force of another blow to his car. When someone's heart stops it can be restarted sometimes by a forceful blow. Emergency personnel in hospitals sometime use a similar method called a "precordial thump" which is a forceful blow with the fist to the chest wall in attempt to restart the heart. Overall, I was moved by his interview and I believe him. Did you see how his bottom lip quivered when his father told him that it wasn't his time? There is an afterlife and Geoff isn't the first person to describe such things in near death situations.