Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Mar 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1876922)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is the first of a number of posts I've moved across from the St'Pete's thread. The discussion can continue here (Bentley03)........

Pardon just a short detour!
To lose Audi is not a good thing in any way! Sure, they B***h to much! But they have a very valid point in the class seperation. If any manufacturers are going to come in to "P" cars or do participate it should be in P-1! If they can go to P-2 and not have to face Audi they wont(Porsche)! The rules in P-1 do need to be tweeked to allow a petrol powered P-1 to compete for overall wins with the Audi & maybe(it looks like) the Peugeot!!

I do not think that they are "quite happy" to just race partially anywhere!

As to Intersport. I would hope that if they qualify somehow through the ALMS points/wins process that they would get an invitation. As they could just change chassis to compete at LeMans!

L.P.

Last edited by Bentley03; 27 Mar 2007 at 13:22. Reason: First post for new thread........
Old 26 Mar 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1876931)   #2
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calling out all Corvette fans. How would you like that ALMS take the 5% restrictors from the GT2s. How about some more benefits for the GT2s. IMO there is absolutely no competiton in GT1 right now. I am thinking that we should make those GT2s several seconds faster so we can some real competition. At least in P1 there is someone else racing. How would like that? Right now no one knows why the entry list isn't out yet (except a handful of people directly envolved in the process)
Old 26 Mar 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1876932)   #3
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brett: CC PR is so terrible at this time it is almost non existant, even with Sid Priddle as a recent hire.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1877005)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Back to thread, has everyone followed the link on Mariantic?
yes, long rant against audi alert. skip or feel free to call me an ass, have been called that before on here so you wouldnt be the first
just affirms what i have been thinking for a long time now, audi does not want competition, they want to be the only car out front and i can GUARANTEE that when, not if, the creation or zyteck go head-to-head and beat the R10 in a race Audi will be the first to cry foul and search for any little technicality they can find. We can only hope the Peugeot is out in front quali at LM so we can all hear them ***** that the rules are rigged and they might not race if they can't win. It has nothing to do with the "rules" for Audi, just watch when Kanaan I believe it was, was just behind the Audi on the same lap late in the race at Sebring. Once they put the hammer down and went to pull away, the Acura could not have kept up with boosters trapped to it. If Audi stopped being pansies and sandbagging during quali to make the classes look tighter then they were, we could see the actual DRAMATIC differences between them. If Audi runs at Utah, expect them to LAP every car save the Intersport if the actual P1 tires work for them; no way with the length of that track can P2 cars stand a chance. sorry to vent but every time I hear anything from Audi, other then the drivers, it just seems to be whining and complaining their world will end if they can't be laps ahead. If IMSA/ACO/ALMS etc want to make Audi play fair MAKE them make the R10 available as a customer car, not the "customers" of champion or others but actual private teams. Guessing then we will see the full release of any Audi chassis cause who would want to lose to the privateers you sold a car too. I'm sure it is making Honda mad right now looking at Super Aguri last race in australia
Old 26 Mar 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1877011)   #5
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
yes, long rant against audi alert. skip or feel free to call me an ass, have been called that before on here so you wouldnt be the first
just affirms what i have been thinking for a long time now, audi does not want competition, they want to be the only car out front and i can GUARANTEE that when, not if, the creation or zyteck go head-to-head and beat the R10 in a race Audi will be the first to cry foul and search for any little technicality they can find. We can only hope the Peugeot is out in front quali at LM so we can all hear them ***** that the rules are rigged and they might not race if they can't win. It has nothing to do with the "rules" for Audi, just watch when Kanaan I believe it was, was just behind the Audi on the same lap late in the race at Sebring. Once they put the hammer down and went to pull away, the Acura could not have kept up with boosters trapped to it. If Audi stopped being pansies and sandbagging during quali to make the classes look tighter then they were, we could see the actual DRAMATIC differences between them. If Audi runs at Utah, expect them to LAP every car save the Intersport if the actual P1 tires work for them; no way with the length of that track can P2 cars stand a chance. sorry to vent but every time I hear anything from Audi, other then the drivers, it just seems to be whining and complaining their world will end if they can't be laps ahead. If IMSA/ACO/ALMS etc want to make Audi play fair MAKE them make the R10 available as a customer car, not the "customers" of champion or others but actual private teams. Guessing then we will see the full release of any Audi chassis cause who would want to lose to the privateers you sold a car too. I'm sure it is making Honda mad right now looking at Super Aguri last race in australia
Zytek already beat Audi at Laguna Seca a few years ago. And Dyson and Porsche have also beaten them too.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1877045)   #6
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Zytek already beat Audi at Laguna Seca a few years ago. And Dyson and Porsche have also beaten them too.
beat them at laguna!!!!, more like crushed them at laguna, same at nurburgring 1000km and spa 1000km, in terms of speed in 2005 the zytek 04S destroyed the audi R8's of champion and oreca, and in 2004 the zytek 04S was on equal terms with the audi's in temrs of speed.

tom chilton and hayari shimoda made that zytek 04S in 2005 go like a missile, same for nic minassian and JCW in the judd engined zytek, they were imo the best team of 2005 and deserved to win at silverstone, nurburgring and istanbul in 2005.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1877080)   #7
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget the Zytech and Creation showed them up a little in the last two races of the ALMS last season
Old 27 Mar 2007, 00:16 (Ref:1877244)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN
Don't forget the Zytech and Creation showed them up a little in the last two races of the ALMS last season
Did they though? It seems as though the Audi R10 had a perfect record against these cars.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1877562)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vejgaard
I know .... The whole Audi case is changing rules all the time, will not make Audi Happy.

They used so much time to decide to go to ALMS, and when they made there choice the IMSA rules made it all Wrong.
Interesting, as in fact Audi is mad this time, because the ALMS didn't change the rules.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1877579)   #10
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm wonder if Audi are reconsidering entering the LMS in view of the apparent dislike of the ALMS rules. IF this is true then you have to wonder at the sportsmanship of Audi....but then again is racing these days really sporting or is it a means to promote the brand ie. advertising ?
Old 27 Mar 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1877609)   #11
vejgaard
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
vejgaard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Interesting, as in fact Audi is mad this time, because the ALMS didn't change the rules.
I know .... there are two set of rules in LMP1 ...... Audi and the others

The problem is that Audi's main goal this year is to beat Pug at LM, and then i think you will see pure private- Audi teams from 2008.

Audi has to deliver the best car for the comming cotumers, and for that they have to race i an serie which all the cars are racing within the same rules.

Im ALMS there are special rules for Audi ... they ar going for the ACO 207 rules, but the other are going for the ACO 2007 with the IMSA changes

I think that we will see Audi perhaps going for Petit in ALMS and perhaps nothing else after LM. They just have to sell the R10's to there costumers.

Once again look at the Le Mans series. There are som many cars in all categories. But in ALMS you have Corvette in GT1 Audi in LMP1. LMP2 & GT2 are still good class'es
Old 27 Mar 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1877627)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Audi: In? Out? Shake it all about?

Ok, to save me and the other Sportscar and GT mods from losing our rags about off topic discussion relating to Audi (ALMS/Diesel regs/IMSA rules/ACO rules), I'm opening this thread.

The last thread relevant to the Audi/ALMS situation deteriorated to the point where Adam was left with no option but to close it. Please don't let this one go the same way!

So, the purpose of this thread is to give an outlet to those of you who wish to pursue the Audi related discussions which have effectively stifled on topic discussion on a number of other threads.

I've moved some posts across from the St.Pete's thread to get it started.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1877979)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyway audi are in for the whole season... so its all a bit academic.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1878065)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If your a potential P1 manufactuer or privateer looking in, you'll see the fighting, instability, and stay well away for the time being.

And for what, so the best P2 will only be a lap behind the R10, not two, maybe have a shot of qualifying glory?

The Ricard test's showed P2's will be as competitive as last season, so why deviate from ACO regs and create instability.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 23:13 (Ref:1878083)   #15
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

They are IN .
Old 27 Mar 2007, 23:32 (Ref:1878088)   #16
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG
Hmmm...but then again is racing these days really sporting or is it a means to promote the brand ie. advertising ?
You raise a valid point, Sebring, but hasn't it always been like that? I don't think I can recall a single successful car maker who hasn't had some racing success in their history?
Old 28 Mar 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1878324)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
If your a potential P1 manufactuer or privateer looking in, you'll see the fighting, instability, and stay well away for the time being.

And for what, so the best P2 will only be a lap behind the R10, not two, maybe have a shot of qualifying glory?

The Ricard test's showed P2's will be as competitive as last season, so why deviate from ACO regs and create instability.
The rules instability came from the ACO's decision to change the regs, after lobbying from Audi, and a gentle reminder as to who provided their courtesy cars.

Are you certain that IMSA hasn't promised static rules to certain manufacturers, and has to keep their word to them?
Old 28 Mar 2007, 16:34 (Ref:1878494)   #18
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The rules instability came from the ACO's decision to change the regs, after lobbying from Audi, and a gentle reminder as to who provided their courtesy cars.

Are you certain that IMSA hasn't promised static rules to certain manufacturers, and has to keep their word to them?
Frankly I would think that Acura would want the seperation in the long run as they have stated their goal is P-1. Porsche will never go to P-1 unless they are made to, especially with customers in P-2! The restrictor debacle is rather puzzling to me on the whole! And who really takes it up the backside? The other teams that are trying to compete in P-1, no breaks for them!

L.P.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:12 (Ref:1878522)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure where I stand on the restrictor deal. Basically, the top P1 and top P2 cars (Audi vs. Penske) were already quite far apart last year. The R10's record clearly displays that. The disparity between P1 and P2 would be even wider at Le Mans, due to the longer lap and flowing nature of the circuit. Not to mention, the 2006 LMS results back up the notion as well. Why further increase the gap?
Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:18 (Ref:1878527)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I must admit I rather liked it when LM900 and 675 were able to compete for overall wins using very different strategies. It made for some very interesting races with the light and nimble 675's being hunted down by the fast and powerful 900 which had to stop for fuel more often and were slower in the wet.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1878543)   #21
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I must admit I rather liked it when LM900 and 675 were able to compete for overall wins using very different strategies. It made for some very interesting races with the light and nimble 675's being hunted down by the fast and powerful 900 which had to stop for fuel more often and were slower in the wet.
But the point is they are no longer 675's and 900's. They are totally seperate classes now, not two divergent rule sets in the same class!

L.P.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1878545)   #22
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I'm not sure where I stand on the restrictor deal. Basically, the top P1 and top P2 cars (Audi vs. Penske) were already quite far apart last year. The R10's record clearly displays that. The disparity between P1 and P2 would be even wider at Le Mans, due to the longer lap and flowing nature of the circuit. Not to mention, the 2006 LMS results back up the notion as well. Why further increase the gap?
So what, they are seperate classes. No different than the GT classes, in that there is a performance seperation between the two!

L.P.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 18:00 (Ref:1878549)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The ACO have balanced classes for a number of years, it should come as no shock to anyone.

No P2 manufactuer should be promised stabilty, and a backdoor route to overall wins.

And let's get this straight, we aren't talking major chassis/engine changes, it's a tweak of the restrictors/fuel tanks.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1878582)   #24
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
So what, they are seperate classes. No different than the GT classes, in that there is a performance seperation between the two!

L.P.
I never denied the fact that they are separate classes. All I did was point out that they were already separate prior to the restrictor change.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1878586)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The ACO have balanced classes for a number of years, it should come as no shock to anyone.

No P2 manufactuer should be promised stabilty, and a backdoor route to overall wins.

And let's get this straight, we aren't talking major chassis/engine changes, it's a tweak of the restrictors/fuel tanks.
Back door to overall wins? Ok, so the Penske cars topped a heavy underpowered R8 at Mid-Ohio. The R10 was and is undefeated. There really aren't many chances for P2 overall wins apart from a few tight street circuits and Laguna (maybe).