Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 21 Sep 2002, 13:10 (Ref:385347)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving Ambition?

Hi Everyone,

especially those of you in the UK. Have a question. Some years ago we got a TV series called Driving Ambition, all about a housewife who had a yen to go racing (in a super powerful, flip front Mini!). It werent too bad! Did it ever get replayed or released on video??
Just wondering...
Old 21 Sep 2002, 13:13 (Ref:385349)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I only ever saw one episode of that. I'd like some info too!
Old 24 Sep 2002, 08:27 (Ref:387109)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now that's a long time ago! The one actor I can remember in it was the unwilling bank manager played by David Dixon - better known as "Ford Prefect" in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy".

But I'm fairly sure that Sparky told me the Vauxhall Firenza HP modsaloon that the bad guy drove in the series is still running and occasionally competes in the Classic Thunder championship. Confirmation, anyone? Slowcoach, Peter?

I also have a Thruxton programme from a Wendy Wools Saloon championship round which makes mention of the filming for a forthcoming BBC drama. Must be the same show - how many BBC dramas about modified saloon cars are there?

Anyone remember a similar show about a kid with a rally driving gift? My only memory of it is that they wrecked an Opel Ascona 400 or lookalike in a roll down an embankment for a plot point.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 12:43 (Ref:389756)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circa ???????

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Now that's a long time ago! The one actor I can remember in it was the unwilling bank manager played by David Dixon - better known as "Ford Prefect" in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy".

Now that was a great story, TV series! 42 - no the mice found a computer error the answer is 43!

I also have a Thruxton programme from a Wendy Wools Saloon championship round which makes mention of the filming for a forthcoming BBC drama. Must be the same show - how many BBC dramas about modified saloon cars are there?
Does the Thruxton Programme have a date on it? that cold narrow down the date of the series...had a look on the net for anything but gave up (probably too early!
Old 27 Sep 2002, 13:08 (Ref:389775)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Off the top of my head, I would say 1980. I'll have to do some searching through a couple of boxes.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 21:24 (Ref:390178)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I also have a Thruxton programme from a Wendy Wools Saloon championship round....

Wendy Wools - now there's a blast from the past.

Is David Enderby's Karmann-Ghia still around somewhere? I always loved that car.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 23:07 (Ref:390254)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
1983??

Quote:
Off the top of my head, I would say 1980. I'll have to do some searching through a couple of boxes.
From the Internet (quick search - time is tight!)

BBC 1983 series - Driving Ambition. Eight episode show about two women who being bored with their lives, hook up with a mechanic to race a full house, flip front Mini.

It starred Rosemary Martin, Anne Carroll and Gavin Richards of Eastenders fame.

Stirling Moss was the technical advisor.

Could be showing on BBC America http://www.bbcamerica.com/home.html ??
Old 8 Oct 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2967661)   #8
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
But I'm fairly sure that Sparky told me the Vauxhall Firenza HP modsaloon that the bad guy drove in the series is still running and occasionally competes in the Classic Thunder championship.
Apologises for bringing this up many years later, but I'll take a stab in the dark and say Tony Davies in the Transpeed Firenza ?
Old 8 Oct 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2967741)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes that's right, this has come up a couple of times in the past.

Donna, the lead character was in Peter Baldwin's Maguire Mini and Alan Hershner the baddie was in the Transpeed Firenza.

Prog was shown in either 1984 or 1985 over here?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2969939)   #10
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H8Fy-ErdEk
Old 13 Nov 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3590220)   #11
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The complete TV series is now available here:-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JSZUDt4RAxXpMC
Old 14 Nov 2015, 00:52 (Ref:3590256)   #12
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab01UK View Post
The complete TV series is now available here:-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JSZUDt4RAxXpMC
Well found mab-ster