Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:17 (Ref:932042)   #26
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well for my two pennies worth...it has to be about having fun. Yes it's nice to win but it is more important to take part and enjoy the company of fellow competitors and entrants. John Rushton references Bob Wood. Bob is to be congratulated for all that he has done for pre-war sports car racing. I have had a lot of fun over the years at Coys, Le Mans Classic (alas can't afford it this year) and GP L'Age D'Or. I will be running our Riley again for Bob's races and will run the car without wings in the Itala etc with the VSCC. Yes, VSCC racing is now dominated by specials (I have one) but it is nice to have a blat with a car built in 1929 (roughly to the spec that the original factory supplied the car in -we have a new body for example) as opposed to a car constructed by an individual in 1989 or 1999. I should say that I am one of very few standard or modified runners in the Spero which is a great shame but it is still fun to run the car on 19" wheels. As to my Cooper it is almost to original spec (the body is aluminum as opposed to glass fibre so is per the prototype-this means less competitive). Currently she sports optional disc brakes but we will run her on drums as soon as we get these sorted.

So historic racing should be FUN. My only gripe is when cars become so altered that they bear little or no resemblence to the past. Austin 7 go-karts on 15" rubber shouldn't be allowed in pre-war racing (unless the actual car and not a Chummy turned Ulster, ran 15" rubber in period). Cooper Bristols and Lotuses that run different track etc should also be sent away!
Old 6 Apr 2004, 20:54 (Ref:932766)   #27
jph
Rookie

jph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fun is the word that has cropped up in almost every post. This must be what sets historic racing apart from nearly all the modern modern stuff and it must remain the watchword. It's difficult to legislate for concepts like 'original spirit' or 'as it would have been save for sensible safety improvements', but I think that's what most competitors want. I do despair, however, when I read of someone building a 160bhp Austin A35 for the St Mary's Trophy at this year's Goodwood Revival - just as I did at the sight of that 50s silhouette Chevrolet a couple or three years back.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 23:07 (Ref:932890)   #28
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fun (for the driver/entrant), again, is the key.

As to "spot-on" versus "in the spirit of", I'm coming to the conclusions that:
- To a degree, it doesn't matter.
- Series organisers need to make that decision, based on the needs of the members (indeed it may not be an either-or decision, in some cases you can have classes to cover the two options).
- Having made a decision, the organisers need to get stricter about it. If you really want to run titanium conrods, go race somewhere else.

Taking the Goodwood example, on the one hand you have 200hp Lotus Cortinas - you have to ask "what's the point?"

On the other hand, the ATS F1 car infamously blew up every time when new. When it was recently restored, they realised the (fully-stressed member) engine was flexing, and seizing the pistons. Two bars from the roll hoop to suspension pickups fixed the problem. Without this 'modernisation' we would never see this beautiful car in action again.

On the third hand (?) you have massively overdeveloped Cooper Bobtails and Monacos taking on much bigger and 'faster' cars. Whilst it seems inappropriate, the racing is actually superb.

In our own (thoroughly amateur enthusiast) series, we have mostly "damned close to original" cars, but one or two rather well developed cars that disappear into the distance. I really don't understand what they get from it. We know their cars are trick. We don't bow down to their awesome driving talent. They must know we ***** behind their back. The rest of us realise we're not going to pick up a little cup, and get on with having fun actually racing each other (surely have a bit of wheel-to-wheel is more fun than lapping someone, or have I missed something?)

How can you create a universal rule that addresses all these situations?

The only solution I can see is make your decision (at series or even class level) and stick to it; make sure everyone knows what it is; make sure entrants need approval for mods and deviations; make honest decisions (especially regarding mods that would improve reliability); if someone takes the p**s, warn them, then just don't invite them.

Last edited by HiRich; 6 Apr 2004 at 23:07.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:10 (Ref:933063)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think HiRich is right - its spirit of the law rather than letter of the law. The only issue I personnally have is with oversized engines which is why I dont race with HSCC HRSR. Technology has definately meant that the cars are quicker than in period, but I would like to think that the mods are all within FIA rules
Old 7 Apr 2004, 08:57 (Ref:933151)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
agreed Simon, modern machining alone is more reliable and accuracy is better affordable, along with better quality materials. this makes all the differrence to many mechanical components, then theres silly things . . . . .like putting a ford cortina in a wind tunnel . . . .I mean really . . .that is just being silly

Hi Rich . . . .Goodwood is not a fgood example of historic racing . . .its just a big show off meeting with no rules, no regulations and pretty much anything goes
Old 7 Apr 2004, 10:06 (Ref:933210)   #31
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wot!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
then theres silly things . . . . .like putting a ford cortina in a wind tunnel . . . .I mean really . . .that is just being silly
Whats wrong with trying to get your Ford Prefect?
Old 9 Apr 2004, 06:05 (Ref:934976)   #32
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine used to rebuild F1 Cosworth engines when they were current.

He recently went to a Historic meeting and was able to distinguish by ear which cars had oversize engines and were cheating by the revs they were pulling! About 50% of the '3 litre' cars were running well oversize in his opinion.

Steve McQueen.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:19 (Ref:936450)   #33
Pierre Martins
Rookie

Pierre Martins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Politics aside -

For me, seeing a classic race car in a museum is like going to a grave yard to pay respects to a lost love one. Very depressing. You could look at photos if you wanted a static, lifeless caption of history.

Historic race cars should be raced at least once a year. I want the smell of burning rubber and oil, hear the sounds and stand in awe to really appreciate history, not some faded memory watered down in lifeless motoring mausoleum.

- Pierre.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:26 (Ref:936453)   #34
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear Hear!

I always liken them to butterflies, do you prefer them flitting past in the garden or pinned to a cork board, a dead display?

Steve McQueen.