Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2792685)   #1
Chicanery
Rookie

Chicanery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso's radio call, Abu Dhabi

First of all, hallo, I'm a new user, an emigre from the childrens' playground that has become the B*C Motorsport Message boards, and someone looking for some in-depth, objective and typically impartial F1 chat on mainstream and niche subject matter.

Background summary: Formula 1 is an overriding interest and passion in my life, has certainly been so since the 1999 season. I love not just the racing and the politics, but the scenery, atmosphere, rivalry, science, aesthetics, striped chicanes, ribbons of tarmac, the sound of a screaming V8.
Or put simply, the detail of the sport.

Enough about me. I thought I might try the topic below as a starter...
--------------------------------
ALONSO'S RADIO CALL- ABU DHABI

Leafing through F1Fan**ics, I came across an interesting blog containing a transcript of some radio messages passed between Alonso and his engineer on the pitwall. Here is a particularly interesting communique from the transcript:

Lap 12

Webber pits.

AS: “Webber has stopped and Vettel is also losing ground on Hamilton.”
Fernando Alonso: “If you see that Felipe can overtake him in a lap call him in.”
AS: “We are thinking about it, concentrate on Button.”

What this appears to show is that, as part of the agreement that Felipe would support Alonso, whether pre-existing or as a result of developments in the season, Alonso has the authority to control the actions of his teammate from the cockpit. Granted, it may be simply the result of soupef-up team-orders applied in a championship deciding race, but even so it apparently applies a level of control on the part of Alonso, and deference on the part of Massa (if he was aware that Alonso might control his teammate's race from the cockpit, which I presume he was) that I had not previously thought likely. Am I alone in thinking this?

Chicanery
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2792693)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Welcome aboard

Like Schumacher before him, it certainly appears that Alonso is granted the authority to make (or give input into) strategic calls from the cockpit, which takes a certain presence of mind on his behalf. I wonder if the decision to pit when he did was also partly his own decision.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2792707)   #3
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is, he needed to drive just the one car to become WDC...

oh, and welcome too!
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2792712)   #4
Chicanery
Rookie

Super Hans, to adopt a phrase from your namesake, and regarding Alonso's apparent cockpit authority from the point of view of Massa, "This is bullsh*t"!

I don't want to seem anti-Alonso in general, but it does strike me as unsavoury that Alonso has been given this authority. I can hardly imagine the Red Bull guys suggesting strategy for their respective teammates- though I accept the instance is in part different, both being in the title hunt in Abu Dhabi. But this sort of thing is nonetheless not condusive to equal playing fields. It also lessens the achievment.

On the other hand, and as Super Hans said, it is mightly impressive that Alonso, like Schumacher, is able to devote sufficient attention to strategy whilst driving.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2792716)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I wonder if the decision to pit when he did was also partly his own decision.
That has occurred to me also, especially given he publicly defended the decision!

Difficult call to make, especially from the cockpit.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2792718)   #6
Chicanery
Rookie

Osella, Hi and thanks for the welcome!

Yup, had Alonso concentrated more on his own driving, he may have gained from it. It would also have allowed the pit wall more thinking time to realise (oh hindsight is a wonderful thing) that mirroring Webber might leave you horribly exposed to Vettel.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2792733)   #7
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 isnt supposed to be an equal playing field tho.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2792737)   #8
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what would have happened if Webber pitted at the same time as Petrov?
Old 18 Nov 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2792739)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, Alonso is a genius in all extent of the word. He has showed this before. I wouldn't be surprised if this level of influence is written in the contract, right in the middle of Santander's demands...

Uhn... No, on second thoughts that would be unnecessary, just like the radio in Germany.

But the second part of the radio conversation is certainly most striking...
"We are thinking about it, concentrate on Button"

It leads to two arguments, and one of them that goes against Super Hans' thoughts...
1 - Ferrari (or at least his engineer) doesn't think he's good at "strategic input" and simply dismiss the idea with that answer... meaning "keep driving, that's your job".
2 - Ferrari doesn't think Massa was any help and simply dismiss the idea as BS.

I also do this sometimes with rookies.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2792806)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicanery View Post
I don't want to seem anti-Alonso in general, but it does strike me as unsavoury that Alonso has been given this authority.
Well he has won the championship twice, and was Ferrari's only contender in this one. Why shouldn't he?

I think what should be under more scrutiny is the fact that Massa wasn't good enough to do what Alonso wanted him to do
Old 18 Nov 2010, 20:54 (Ref:2792825)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I think what should be under more scrutiny is the fact that Massa wasn't good enough to do what Alonso wanted him to do
Why ? Where is written that he has to do what Teflonso wants ? Did you read that or are you just wondering ? Do you know specifics to say that he wasn't good enough for that ?
One thing is for certain and we all know already, Massa is not as good as Teflonso, and we'll never be. Another completely different thing is that he must do what Teflonso wants.
And IF that's the case, why Teflonso (like TGF) is not good enough to have his championship without a helping team mate ? This is what he wanted in McLaren and didn't receive, and now he wants at Ferrari. This is the deserving champion then ?
I think what should be under scrutiny is why Double World Champion Fudendo Teflonso needs help from his team mate.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2792832)   #12
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Why ? Where is written that he has to do what Teflonso wants ?...
Probably in Massa's contract :P
Old 19 Nov 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2792917)   #13
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At that point though it would have been stupid for Massa not to help out. It is a team game, and Massa would not have gained anything by not helping out. It's not so much Alonso needing help, but a certain situation where the taem as a unit can work together to get the title.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2793179)   #14
Chicanery
Rookie

Guys, to be clear, I don't think anyone would suggest that Massa shouldn't have been asked to help out in Abu Dhabi- final race, close championship, two red bull drivers vying etc.

Rather, the point I was making is that it was surprising that, in that race, team orders were coming from the pit wall AND the cockpit of the lead driver. To me that smacks not just of having a lead driver, but more, perhaps someone with more authority than a typical driver, more in the mould of Schumacher in his Ferrari days.

Personally, I thought that level of advantage within a team created an unlevel playing field between other drivers from rival teams. Sure, you could say that other drivers could set out to do what Schumacher and (arguably) Alonso did/do. Personally however, I wouldn't want that scenario repeated throughout the sport. Not only does it reduce the number of drivers with the chance of going for the championship, it also requires a decided lack of support for the second driver. Those like Massa and Fisi may not have performed well with Alonso, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are operating at their full reach. Thoughts coming to mind include Massa's stunning '08 season, Irvine in 1999 post Silverstone.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2793548)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great radio call, thanks for the transcript.

Ferrari don't have to listen to him.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2793598)   #16
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I think what should be under scrutiny is why Double World Champion Fudendo Teflonso needs help from his team mate.
Do you seriously doubt that Button would have helped Hamilton if Lewis needed his help?

Did anyone actually HEAR that radio call? As in: is it real or are we just speculating about some made-up stuff?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2793601)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Do you seriously doubt that Button would have helped Hamilton if Lewis needed his help?
Exactly right. Had Lewis been in Alonso's position then Jenson would have been on call to help out.

I think some people's (no one in particular) dislike for Alonso clouds their judgement sometimes, most of the time actually!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2793853)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yes, I don't like him, but I'm not making judgments, I'm just making a counter argument from what has been said about Massa being unable to help him and the dubious assumption that Teflonso master the strategics.
From now on, people will be always trying to speculate about Alonso not being the WDC and if Massa is the right number two or not... just let it go and let's see what happens next season.
This is one of those things that make me leave the discussion and look for better subjects.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2793895)   #19
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
F1 isnt supposed to be an equal playing field tho.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2793997)   #20
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
It is a team game, .......
How many more times do we have to hear this rubbish? There is a Drivers Championship. There is a Constructors Championship. There is no Team Championship.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2794014)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The World Drivers Championship isn't a drivers championship, though. One of the great paradoxes of motorsport. You can't win the World Drivers Championship with a mediocre car
Old 22 Nov 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2794340)   #22
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
There is no Team Championship.
Are you for real????

What do you think constructors are? 'Course theres a team championship. RBR are the reigning champions.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2794363)   #23
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
Are you for real????

What do you think constructors are? 'Course theres a team championship. RBR are the reigning champions.
Of course I'm for real. And I agree that the constructor's championship is a championship for the whole team. My objection is to the people who keep on saying "It's a team sport" as an excuse for manipulating the Drivers Championship. If the Drivers Championship is going to be decided by the combined efforts of the two drivers in a team, then we don't need both a Drivers Championship and a Constructors Championship.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2794365)   #24
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
The World Drivers Championship isn't a drivers championship, though. One of the great paradoxes of motorsport. You can't win the World Drivers Championship with a mediocre car
It's rather badly named then, isn't it?
Old 22 Nov 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2794378)   #25
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It is the World Drivers Championship not the World Driving Championship, maybe there is a reason for that.

Getting your backside into the best car is one of the essential skills of a racing driver, whether you do it by developing your own car in club level motorsport, by shining as a driver and being snapped up or simply gradually growing over a long career and eventually grabbing your chance like Button. Of course Schumacher did it in his own style by joining a big name team with a big budget who seemed to be in decline and helping build them back into winners once more.

Historically great drivers are great drivers because as well as their obvious and real racing skills they also had the skills, persistence and yes luck too (a part of all sports) to get into a great car.