Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 20 Jul 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3108885)   #26
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well engineered an alloy cage is fine in 99% of circumstance
The issue is that you cant really tell if too much heat has been put into the alloy which makes it brittle

Mind you a FIA cage is no guarantee:

Full FIA spec CrMo cage from 1998, built for international rally and did about 6 (converted to circuit in 2005), died in 2009, passenger side T boned
Old 20 Jul 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3108966)   #27
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift View Post
Full FIA spec CrMo cage from 1998, built for international rally and did about 6 (converted to circuit in 2005), died in 2009, passenger side T boned
It's difficult to tell from the photo, but has that fractured with almost no distortion prior to fracturing? I'm no metallurgist, but I would have expected significant bending and stretching of the tubes before reaching the fracture point. I'm sure ductility is an important property of a decent cage, as surely it's this that allows it to absorb and dissipate energy.

It's interesting to note that it hasn't fractured at the welds though - it appears to have let go just adjacent to the welds. It does rather prove a point though - no matter how good your cage may look, do any of us really know how good it is until it's tested to destruction? And that's not really the time to be finding out it's not up to the job, is it?
Old 20 Jul 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3109069)   #28
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The issue is that you cant really tell if too much heat has been put into the alloy which makes it brittle

A lot of welders don't stress relive 4130 as they should:

http://weldingweb.com/attachment.php...1&d=1332256871

A process not required with UK spec CDS, as welding CDS does not cause brittleness
Old 20 Jul 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3109104)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The welding leaves a lot to be desired though. Its surprising how many fabricators dont know how to stress relieve,some thing that,judging by the photos,is fairly obvious.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3121679)   #30
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by roco View Post
Im not making any allegations,, im simply stating that i have seen people with brand new cars, fitted with brand new cages, turn up to scrutiny and be failed as the cage wasnt up to standard. that person after spending their hard erned money now has to go and get it fixed or done again properly, which means they miss racing, costing money and hassle, all im asking is there a governing body that regulates the cage builders so that if a cage builder is approved by them then a customer knows that the cage they are buying meets a minimum spec and has a better chance of passing scrutiny! basically like electricians or any other trade has to be, you see it on their vans, reci approved, or rac approved, ect.
Hi Roco, are you from Eire
Old 19 Aug 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3121765)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed, although a fully welded in cage is a lot different and performs a different job too, which is why they cost so much more. We aren't allowed to run fully welded in cages in Group 1 or FIA App K. But we can in Group A .
Are you sure Peter? When I built my car it was 6 point bolt in . . . I've not seen a tin top, or any other App K car recently prepared with anything lees than the Carlos Fandango hand fabricated super cage, I think you could be forgiven for thinging bolted cages where now outlawed!
Old 19 Aug 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3121775)   #32
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

A process not required with UK spec CDS, as welding CDS does not cause brittleness
Thnaks for posting that link, phoenix!
But I was puzzled; it's called 'stress-relief' and that explanation relies on brittleness due to air and material quenching. So I looked for more information and found this:

http://www.thefabricator.com/article...ess-in-welding

Still says the same thing, pre- and post-weld heating, but in terms of weld distortion due to the weld metal expanding and contracting with temperature; much more likely, IMHO. It also appears to me authoritative and includes much more detail on techniques and methods, some beyond the amatuer, but anyway.
You have stimulated me to learn - thank you!
John
Old 12 Sep 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3134733)   #33
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

WOW

I have never seen anything like that before, what possessed the manufacturer to cut the tubes and weld like that? I have seen some real shockers out there before but not as bad as that. I have always trusted www.tavikess.com for rollcage design and manufacture. They seem to have a good understanding of testing the design of rollcages and are very good at doing one off projects from ground up.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3164132)   #34
roco
Rookie

roco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Hard to tell by the pics but that looks Mig welded?
Old 8 Nov 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3164133)   #35
roco
Rookie

roco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
Hi Roco, are you from Eire
yes im from Ireland
Old 8 Nov 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3164135)   #36
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult to tell from the picture but the wall thickness appears too thin.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3164402)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Are you sure Peter? When I built my car it was 6 point bolt in . . . I've not seen a tin top, or any other App K car recently prepared with anything lees than the Carlos Fandango hand fabricated super cage, I think you could be forgiven for thinging bolted cages where now outlawed!
Sorry Zef, just noticed this. I was under the impression that fully welded was, as I said. I guess things have changed then.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3165114)   #38
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Difficult to tell from the picture but the wall thickness appears too thin.
It is CrMo,

It was TiG and full FIA spec of the time ('99)
Old 14 Nov 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3166156)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That snapped cage looks more like Farmers Arc than Tig, I can weld better than that!!! either way, its snapped and moved, but appears to have done its job, if it wasn't there it would have been a lot lot worse.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3166283)   #40
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I remember in "the old days" that the Hot Rod roll cages left a lot to be desired !
You had to have a hole drilled in the B post upright to show the wall thickness and "some" (to save weight) used to make the rest out of nothing more than exhaust pipe !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !