Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3567003)   #1326
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
In that article Force India's deputy team principal Bob Fernley talks about the front wing being more of a trim wing.
Yes and that is going to have to be legislated for if there is a spec floor because the aero guys will get to work maximizing total downforce and not worry about the cars ability to follow another car.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3567004)   #1327
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Again, ive been saying it for years, but why not offer a maximum surface area rule where teams are free to design what they want, but only have a maximum of X surface area. That way teams are still free to develop it, but the amount you can gain from it is limited as it will be a small surface area...
Old 19 Aug 2015, 22:33 (Ref:3567046)   #1328
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Again, ive been saying it for years, but why not offer a maximum surface area rule where teams are free to design what they want, but only have a maximum of X surface area. That way teams are still free to develop it, but the amount you can gain from it is limited as it will be a small surface area...
I think that's a tremendous idea.

Would keep the cars all looking different, too!

Selby
Old 19 Aug 2015, 23:11 (Ref:3567048)   #1329
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In that article Force India's deputy team principal Bob Fernley talks about the front wing being more of a trim wing.
The problem with running the front wing as a trim wing is, as soon as you are in turbulent air behind another car your trim wing ceases to function, and you lose your aero performance and cannot race it.

There is only one solution, take the front wing off the car!

Lowering and increasing the rear wing size is also counter productive, leave it where it is, higher up it will have less of an effect on the aero of the trailing car, that is what we are aiming for isn't it??
Old 19 Aug 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3567049)   #1330
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The problem with running the front wing as a trim wing is, as soon as you are in turbulent air behind another car your trim wing ceases to function, and you lose your aero performance and cannot race it.

There is only one solution, take the front wing off the car!

Lowering and increasing the rear wing size is also counter productive, leave it where it is, higher up it will have less of an effect on the aero of the trailing car, that is what we are aiming for isn't it??
They never had that problem with the original ground effect cars and the car could run with or without the trim wing. Just watch footage of those races and you can see how close the cars get to each other.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 00:19 (Ref:3567065)   #1331
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
They never had that problem with the original ground effect cars and the car could run with or without the trim wing. Just watch footage of those races and you can see how close the cars get to each other.
The original ground effect cars would have been pretty crude devices in terms of aerodynamic sophistication compared to current cars which spend 24/7 in wind tunnels. So any small effect that running in disturbed air has on a trim tab will have a greater effect on the cars ultimate performance and its ability to race against a similar car.
It is exactly the point I am developing though BJ, the original cars could run without front wings, so make damn sure the new cars never get the opportunity of running front wings. Let's get ahead of the problem for a change!

Last edited by wnut; 20 Aug 2015 at 00:25.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 21:04 (Ref:3567999)   #1332
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The ground effect were used in a time modern media were unavailable and things were pretty amateurish to the current standards, but it is said in those days cars often generated more downforce than the tires could cope with. As a consequence, losing some downforce in the slipstream had no real effect on the cars' behavior.
In fact, Brabham occasionally used a (positive) lift generating front wing!
Old 24 Aug 2015, 06:54 (Ref:3568134)   #1333
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the sound of if it the ground effect proposals if properly balanced may produce very exciting racing from 2017 onwards if they simultaniously drop DRS and keep the engine rules stable and allow the other manufacturers catch up.

They should probably also limit the number of surfaces and possibly the total surface area of the front wing to make the aero less sophisticated. Perhaps there are more effective rule sets to accomplish that, but that's up to the aero engineers (as long as the interest is exciting racing anx not protecting their own jobs).

Now tone down the performance bonusses so the smaller teams become more competitive and I might actually become excited about F1 again.

Last edited by Taxi645; 24 Aug 2015 at 07:09.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 13:26 (Ref:3569352)   #1334
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reading this article on the Autosport website, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120520 , I really do despair at the attitude of the FIA.

The proposal is to introduce the new bodywork and aero rules for 2017 which with other changes are supposed to reduce lap times by about 5 seconds.

However, Charlie Whiting is quite clear that he does not expect the new regulations will allow more overtaking opportunities, and in fact it is believed by some that it will be more difficult for cars to follow each other closely because of the changes.

And they then wonder why more and more people are being turned off by Formula 1. The only good news is that the snore fests will finish quicker!
Old 28 Aug 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3569371)   #1335
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And they then wonder why more and more people are being turned off by Formula 1. The only good news is that the snore fests will finish quicker!
haha. that is good news!
Old 28 Aug 2015, 14:56 (Ref:3569377)   #1336
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Reading this article on the Autosport website, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120520 , I really do despair at the attitude of the FIA.

However, Charlie Whiting is quite clear that he does not expect the new regulations will allow more overtaking opportunities, and in fact it is believed by some that it will be more difficult for cars to follow each other closely because of the changes.

Old 28 Aug 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3569384)   #1337
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

The proposal is to introduce the new bodywork and aero rules for 2017 which with other changes are supposed to reduce lap times by about 5 seconds.

I thought the idea was to increase lap times?
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:01 (Ref:3569408)   #1338
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is hard to imagine anything more frustrating than F1.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3569410)   #1339
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
They are trying to re invent the wheel aren't they .. Is there really that *much* wrong with our sport, IMHO don't think so...

To the powers that be...Make it more fan friendly and stop talking it down otherwise you breed a feeling of dissatisfaction.. Give some people the excuse to complain and you will never hear the end of it..
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:57 (Ref:3569419)   #1340
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sort of feels like they are doubling down on CFD and aero imo.

as much as i like to complain (and much of it because there is not much fun stuff to talk about in F1 these days) most of my issues get solved if a) there is a more equitable division of the profits and b) all teams spend that extra money on development leading to a formula where several teams can compete at the sharp end at the same time.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3569443)   #1341
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is there any news on when Charlie Whiting might retire?
Old 28 Aug 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3569444)   #1342
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
The thought had crossed my mind, the sport needs a changing of the guard..
Old 29 Aug 2015, 03:34 (Ref:3569526)   #1343
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
What is Charlie Whiting meant to do?

There is a view expressed that there is not enough close racing in F1.

Everybody knows what the problem is.

Then the FWG (F1 Working Group) proposes a solution to "the problem" which stands no chance whatsoever of fixing the problem they say they are addressing with the changes!

Charlie is at least experienced and technically savvy to know the solution is just a bad joke and has the stones to say so, and the solution is accept the rubbish and get rid of Charlie and install a yes man in his place?

Perfect, that will fix everything!
Old 29 Aug 2015, 04:39 (Ref:3569532)   #1344
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I meant a changing of the guard as far as management of the sportt is concerned ..
Charlie is a very experienced deligate and does a great job ..
Old 29 Aug 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3569582)   #1345
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
What is Charlie Whiting meant to do?

There is a view expressed that there is not enough close racing in F1.

Everybody knows what the problem is.

Then the FWG (F1 Working Group) proposes a solution to "the problem" which stands no chance whatsoever of fixing the problem they say they are addressing with the changes!

Charlie is at least experienced and technically savvy to know the solution is just a bad joke and has the stones to say so, and the solution is accept the rubbish and get rid of Charlie and install a yes man in his place?

Perfect, that will fix everything!
For years now the FIA has been rubber stamping technical regulations that defy logic in every sense of the word. In 1997 they unveiled the tech regs for 1998 which had narrower cars and grooved tyres, which proved to be a disaster. The cars were extremely nervous for the first two seasons and actually all it did was make the cars faster in a straight line and made it more difficult to follow through corners.

Then throughout the 2000's they proceeded to progressively raise the front wing, again, a terrible idea. This just meant that the aero device designed the bring front end grip was being brought higher and higher and more likely to suffer from dirty air.

I don't know who exactly has come up with the latest rules, whether its some "working group" or whatever, but to me they actually sound pretty decent. The only thing I think sounds like a mis-step is making the front wing wider. I mean why? So it can get knocked off easier? The ground FX; sounds like a good idea, making the tyres wider; good idea. I haven't heard anything about making the cars wider which was previously on the menu, but that too would be a good idea.

If Charlie can't see that these proposals are what is needed and are likely to work (in my opinion) then words fail me. Then he goes on to say "if it don't work, we can basically bring in even more DRS" - yea, which is exactly what the fans want to see, more highway passes!

Essentially, the FIA cocked up royally with the 1998 regulations and I think it knows that. Whoever came up with a design solution that reduces mechanical grip and reduces the track width of a car has a basic lack of understanding of what produces good racing. If I recall correctly, these measures were introduced because of the increased corner speeds of the 1997 season, so instead of actually tackling the problem; namely aero, they decide to attack another attribute of the car because "its easier".
Old 29 Aug 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3569652)   #1346
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole thing started in May of 1994.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3570628)   #1347
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
The whole thing started in May of 1994.
Actually they messed with the rules during 1993 and brought a raft of changes in for 1994, banned active suspension and driver aids.
Senna was on record as saying that he feared for the unpredictability the new cars would show under the new spec!
Old 3 Sep 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3571159)   #1348
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[OT !]Senna was on record more saying how he hated all the driver aids and how they should be banned.
Change of regs. always has the potential to upset the potential to get it right. We should have it more often. [/ OT !]
Old 4 Sep 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3571249)   #1349
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
[OT !]Senna was on record more saying how he hated all the driver aids and how they should be banned.
Change of regs. always has the potential to upset the potential to get it right. We should have it more often. [/ OT !]

I think the 1994 rules changes were obviously done wrong. The cars were indeed unpredictable. Just look at the number of accidents and incidents. Aside from the obvious ones, cars were going off track very out of control, way too often. Wendlinger in a coma for weeks, Raztenberger's replacement with a huge shunt in Spain.
For some reason, things didn't really get better until after Hakkinen's horrific accident in 1995 - then they decided they should do something that really improves safety.
Technically it wasn't just about the driver's aids, but how come all hell broke loose in 1994, while 1993 was such a nice and clean season? And 1992 too, even 1991.
I personally think they should have left the active suspension, at least for a few season.

It's ironic, but while the rule changes in 1994 made the FW-16A lack competitiveness, at least in the first two races, I believe the rule changes were not a factor in Senna's accident.
Old 5 Sep 2015, 14:30 (Ref:3571544)   #1350
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
I think the 1994 rules changes were obviously done wrong. The cars were indeed unpredictable. Just look at the number of accidents and incidents. Aside from the obvious ones, cars were going off track very out of control, way too often. Wendlinger in a coma for weeks, Raztenberger's replacement with a huge shunt in Spain.
For some reason, things didn't really get better until after Hakkinen's horrific accident in 1995 - then they decided they should do something that really improves safety.
Technically it wasn't just about the driver's aids, but how come all hell broke loose in 1994, while 1993 was such a nice and clean season? And 1992 too, even 1991.
I personally think they should have left the active suspension, at least for a few season.

It's ironic, but while the rule changes in 1994 made the FW-16A lack competitiveness, at least in the first two races, I believe the rule changes were not a factor in Senna's accident.
The Williams FW16 had a number of shortcomings. If I remember correctly, one of them was its wheelbase being too long for the mandated passive suspension.