Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jan 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3489560)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It was time for my annual trip to the peluqueria this morning !
Attached Thumbnails
HC.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jan 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3489562)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks David. Only decision so far is to avoid tunnels, I'll go into more depth with route planning during next week or two!

I was lent a DVD over the holidays called 'The Speed Merchants'. It follows some of the 1972 World Sportscar races, and in particular follows a long haired Vic Elford (Alfa T33) and Mario Andretti (312). Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but first race is Sebring 12hrs, and in those days the circuit was marked out by cones on the concrete runways! John Wyer and the Mirage appeared at the meeting for first race, car untested due to power strikes and delays in UK.... Fascinating stuff.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3489576)   #28
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I'm not surprised he never went through the tunnel again. When using the route now you are left in no doubt as to the seriousness of that fire. As well as trucks having their emissions rating (paperwork) checked before getting to the top of the climb, at the check-in they then go through a scanner that looks for any excess heat from the vehicle. After going through barriers the traffic is then released at intervals, and all way through there are monitors that check your separation to vehicle in front and behind. Minimum and maximum speed limits also....

It was only two years later that the Gotthard tunnel also had a serious fire incident, so a bad time for the operators. Personally I would avoid the £450 round trip charge for a truck through MB if at all possible, but one alternative, driving through CH, costs as much in road tolls! S of France route also adds a lot of miles and tolls so occasionally have to grin and bare it.

First time through MB tunnel with a truck after the fire , no problems on the French side with the heat sensor booth etc , but coming back I missed the Italian one .
It was about 10 miles before the tunnel , on an Autoroute section , with I think just one last minute sign which was too late for me to figure out & then turn in to .
Got to the tunnel & got a Bo*****ing off the tunnel people & had to sign a declaration that I wouldn,t do it again .
Old 4 Jan 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3489838)   #29
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
London Classic Car Show.

Is anyone going to the London Classic car show at the ExCel centre 8th to the 11th Jan? I'm thinking of going Friday afternoon, still quite expensive when they add the ticket fees plus a fee to print your own ticket on top
It coincides with the Autosport show but I have given that one a miss for a few years now.
Old 4 Jan 2015, 12:48 (Ref:3489848)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I see The Boat Show is on at same time at Excel, and probably a food / living / clothes show no doubt as well! Makes a visit more interesting, but guess seperate entry fees for each.....

A promo for the Car show suggested not too many cars, but a select display instead. I'm undecided, but definitely not going to NEC thing. At least can get to Excel on some mass transit system, and in a timescale comparable with, or quicker than a car!

Old 4 Jan 2015, 13:13 (Ref:3489850)   #31
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I won't be going to any, booked into Kings for an angiogram and ? , on antibiotics at the moment for a lung infection so want to get clear of everything by the 19th.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 4 Jan 2015, 15:22 (Ref:3489869)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Keep well Uncle Eric.
Old 4 Jan 2015, 15:26 (Ref:3489870)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Good luck with that Eric . If you feel up to it post the picture from brands hatch that's on your garage wall along with the story .
Old 4 Jan 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3489882)   #34
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thinking of going to the London Classic Car Show, but not sure that a few classics in a large hall will be worth it?
Old 4 Jan 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3489896)   #35
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Thinking of going to the London Classic Car Show, but not sure that a few classics in a large hall will be worth it?
Looking at the website you may be right. Remember when the November racing car show was there, you could go round the whole lot in 30 minutes, when it moved to Brands you could go round it in 30 minutes and get very cold.
Old 4 Jan 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3489898)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
when it moved to Brands you could go round it in 30 minutes and get very cold.
At least I can go home quickly and get warm from there
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jan 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3489899)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
Well I won't be going to any, booked into Kings for an angiogram and ? , on antibiotics at the moment for a lung infection so want to get clear of everything by the 19th.
Hope all goes well and get well soon Eric.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 07:27 (Ref:3490004)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Been reading up on the Hoegh Osaka incident, curious to know what cars are on board! As well as construction equipment, according to BBC among the 1400 are a load of Bentleys, and one newspaper is suggesting also Rolls Royces......

Looking at the angle ship is listing, I can't believe any will have escaped unscathed!

Ouch.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3490009)   #39
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Zenobia
I have dived on this that had a problem on it's maiden voyage.
All the cars and lorries are still on it.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3490019)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Zenobia
I have dived on this that had a problem on it's maiden voyage.
All the cars and lorries are still on it.
That is an amazing story! It beggars belief that a simple 'software problem' in the computerised pumps for the ballast tanks led to the loss. Did they not try a reboot?

Old 5 Jan 2015, 10:08 (Ref:3490027)   #41
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That is an amazing story! It beggars belief that a simple 'software problem' in the computerised pumps for the ballast tanks led to the loss. Did they not try a reboot?

I think that this was when the computerized ballasting systems were in their infancy, now it could probably be organized by a ten bob smartphone and be 100 percent reliable.

However it was an amazing dive as we went in the engine room and I have a picture somewhere of me sitting in one of the Volvo trucks !
Old 5 Jan 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3490039)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good old beeb reporting earlier that it might have been deliberate, IF that is the case, with such a load its quite understandable.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3490049)   #43
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently, it was indeed deliberate. The ship was beginning to list, so the captain made the (brave!) decision to run aground to prevent it capsizing. And if I'm not mistaken, the cars on the decks of these specially built car carriers (RO-RO, not containers) have ratchet chains to secure the cars, much like those seen on articulated car transporters. So it's entirely possible that the majority are still intact if those chains are tight enough.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:10 (Ref:3490058)   #44
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
If the crossing was rough they might have chained the down, otherwise they be a huge amount of write off's.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3490059)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, the beaching was deliberate, not the list that caused the decision to be made! There are rumours of ballast being adjusted at the time of the incident occurring.....

JLR have put out a press release saying that they have 1200 vehicles on board. Would be good to know that every vehicle is anchored but to what part would the tether(s) be attached?

Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3490061)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
This is a job for international rescue .
Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3490062)   #47
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
This is a job for international rescue .
thunderbirds are Go!
Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3490068)   #48
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Terry, load up a drop box free app and your pictures will automatically upload from your phone then try uploading from drop box.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3490069)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Like this
Attached Thumbnails
76gmca00.jpg  
Old 5 Jan 2015, 14:15 (Ref:3490077)   #50
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - I think generally they tend to attach the chains to substantial components underneath - suspension arm, crossmember, etc. However, as Terence said, we have no way of knowing if this has been done effectively in this case. It's going to be a rather large insurance payout if not!

When you said it wasn't ran aground because of the list - I don't see why then? Do you have another reason?