Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jul 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2499420)   #26
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks GTR, the pics clearly show the bonnet pins but not the airjacks, got any of the inside? I know how dumb that sounds when the outside was the artwork, but you never know your luck in a big city as they say.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2499686)   #27
rogered
Rookie

rogered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
I have just re-read through the old posts on the 635 thread, and according to Gerard Hodges the '85 Creighton car(#4 above) is now owned by Allan Drinkrow in NZ. And the early 86 car (#5 above) is owned by Graham Dodd also in NZ. Both are ex-Archibald cars.
what ever happened to the one kent bagent crashed
Old 12 Jul 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2499737)   #28
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogered View Post
what ever happened to the one kent bagent crashed
That was an ex Schnitzer car, ex Ravaglia / Berger ETCC.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2499849)   #29
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_a1MU_JG-Q

There's an array of them in this clip. The Keogh one was a great looking car.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 12 Jul 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2499878)   #30
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys,I am enjoying reading this thread here in England.On a slightly different tack has anyone got sites with photos of the cars from this era which ran 'down under'?
Old 12 Jul 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2499893)   #31
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has some and a few stories

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67601
Old 13 Jul 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2500487)   #32
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett View Post
Hi guys,I am enjoying reading this thread here in England.On a slightly different tack has anyone got sites with photos of the cars from this era which ran 'down under'?
Ian,

try www.oldracephotos.com or www.autopics.com.au
Old 13 Jul 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2500600)   #33
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPS M3s - I think this was covered in another thread, and 6 cars ring a bell;

2 cars to start the ATCC for Richards & Longhurst

A third car was on board for the opening AMSCAR rd in late March, as Richards, Longhurst & Finaur all competed.

Richards debuted a new car at AMSCAR rd2 in May, making four of them

Weren't two more built in time for Sandown/Bathurst, these two being the lightly raced cars that the Brock Mobil team inherited for the start of 1988. A third ex-JPS car came mid-season for Crompton (after he used Brocks & and Richards car at the first two AMSCAR rounds)

Ludwig Finaur competed in the first AMSCAR rd in 1988, in what was reported as another ex-JPS BMW. This car presumebly became the Plaspak car for Bathurst later in the year (painted by then in BMW colours, Finaur co-driving with Radisich)
Old 13 Jul 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2500632)   #34
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPS M3s

The history of the JPS M3s has always been a bit murky, not helped by some contradicting histories in the Bathurst and The Great Race annuals.

For the start of the 87 season there were 2 cars. After round 5 of the ATCC Jim Richards debuted a new car at the Amscar race at Amaroo Park. This was the first full spec M3, with upgraded suspension and engine. I believe Longhurst continued with the same car, with the ex Richards car presumably being the one entered as a 3rd JPS entry at rounds 8 & 9.

By round 1 of the Endurance Championship at Amaroo Park the original Richards car had been sold to Archibald Motorsport and was raced by Trevor Crowe. Crowe used it to win the 87 NZTCC (co-driving with Richards) before it was sold to John Sax. Crowe raced the car at Bathurst in 88 with Peter Janson to 4th place.

For Bathurst 87 there were 2 new cars, one being used as the Robbie Francevic / Ludwig Finauer car, the other as the T car, presumably Richards & Longhurst used the 3rd built car.

According to the 88 Great Race annual the 2 M3s Brock and Richards had raced that year had been built for the 87 Adelaide GP which JPS did not attend after Frank Gardner closed the team, so were in effect brand new. This appears a bit strange, seeing that the team already had 2 near new cars.

According to the 88 Bathurst annual, BMW Australia inherited 4 M3s when the JPS team was closed down, with 3 going to Brock. Richards car had a black grill and was the car he shared with Brock in the enduros. Brock’s car had a white grill and Crompton’s a red grill. The 88 Bathurst annual has the Crompton / Parsons car as Brock’s ATCC car, although as it had a red grill, making me think it may have been the car Crompton raced at round 8 when all 3 appeared on track.

At the 87 Sandown 500 there was an M3 for John Sax & Graham Lorimer. The 88 Bathurst annual states this was raced by Longhurst in the 87 ATCC and was converted from the team’s 86 325i, while the 88 Great Race annual states Sax and Lorimer raced it 4 times in Australia before shipping it to NZ after the Sandown 500. It was raced at the 88 Oran Park 250 by Sax and John Sorrenson and at Bathurst by Kayne Scott and Sorrenson.

Both Sax cars appeared at Bathurst in 89, while 2 of the Brock cars were sold to John Cotter and Peter Doulman's M3 Motorsport in 89 first appearing at an Amscar round in their 88 livery less signwriting, before being repainted white for Bathurst.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2500681)   #35
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post

For the start of the 87 season there were 2 cars. After round 5 of the ATCC Jim Richards debuted a new car at the Amscar race at Amaroo Park. This was the first full spec M3, with upgraded suspension and engine. I believe Longhurst continued with the same car, with the ex Richards car presumably being the one entered as a 3rd JPS entry at rounds 8 & 9.
There were 3 cars by late March, as JPS ran three entries at the opening AMSCAR round (#3 Richards, #4 Longhurst, #12 Finaur)
Old 14 Jul 2009, 00:49 (Ref:2501273)   #36
rogered
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
That was an ex Schnitzer car, ex Ravaglia / Berger ETCC.
i had a feeling he was just renting the thing, so after its crash was it sent back broken?
Cant recall ever seeing it again.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 06:44 (Ref:2501348)   #37
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just having a wee squiz at the chassis history archive, parts from the Baigent car were used to rebuild car RA001:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...nt#post1964868
Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2501442)   #38
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
[QUOTE=anthony81901;2500632]By round 1 of the Endurance Championship at Amaroo Park the original Richards car had been sold to Archibald Motorsport and was raced by Trevor Crowe. Crowe used it to win the 87 NZTCC (co-driving with Richards) before it was sold to John Sax. Crowe raced the car at Bathurst in 88 with Peter Janson to 4th place.
At the 87 Sandown 500 there was an M3 for John Sax & Graham Lorimer. The 88 Bathurst annual states this was raced by Longhurst in the 87 ATCC and was converted from the team’s 86 325i, while the 88 Great Race annual states Sax and Lorimer raced it 4 times in Australia before shipping it to NZ after the Sandown 500. It was raced at the 88 Oran Park 250 by Sax and John Sorrenson and at Bathurst by Kayne Scott and Sorrenson.
QUOTE]

Consider this, my car came with an ECU with Trevor Crowe's name and address in NZ written on it, but the Crowe/Viacard car had the air jacks behind the rear wheels, my car doesn't although the position of the bonnet pins is the same as the Crowe/Viacard car. Has anyone got any pics of the Finnauer car or the inside of the "art cars"? These pics would help to confirm which was which, certainly which was the Crowe/Viacard car as this was the only one with the air jacks behind the rear wheels.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2501450)   #39
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
David, I visited the temporary BMW museum at Munich (while the new one was still getting built) in 2007, they had some photos of all of the Art cars. Have you considered asking them if there are any file photos of the art cars?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2501460)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Consider this, my car came with an ECU with Trevor Crowe's name and address in NZ written on it, but the Crowe/Viacard car had the air jacks behind the rear wheels, my car doesn't although the position of the bonnet pins is the same as the Crowe/Viacard car. Has anyone got any pics of the Finnauer car or the inside of the "art cars"? These pics would help to confirm which was which, certainly which was the Crowe/Viacard car as this was the only one with the air jacks behind the rear wheels.
I nicked the Art Car pics from the Genuine BMW site.. they have no other shots
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2501474)   #41
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
David, I visited the temporary BMW museum at Munich (while the new one was still getting built) in 2007, they had some photos of all of the Art cars. Have you considered asking them if there are any file photos of the art cars?
You and I are on the same wavelength, I just finished composing and sending the following to Thomas Tischler at BMW Mobile Tradition in Munich, now I just have to wait and hope for a reply. I have edited the email to take out the boring stuff, but you get the drift.

Hello Thomas,

My name is David Towe and I own one of the E30 M3s that was raced in Australia by the Frank Gardner JPS Team BMW in the 1987 Australian Touring Car Championship and I need some help. The owners of the other ex JPS M3s and other motorsport enthusiasts have a been checking the history of the cars and we can't establish who now owns which car of the 5 (and possibly 6) cars built and run in that year by the team.

I wonder if you can provide some assistance by confirming the shell numbers and delivery dates to the JPS team and/or the retreival dates of the 2 cars that became the art cars? From what we know there was one built from a 325i shell (probably mine) and 4 or 5 more with 2 cars ending their life as "Art Cars" painted by Michael Jagamara Nelson and Ken Done. I realise that you will probably not be aware of the movements of the cars after they were sold to Gardner except for the 2 art cars, but any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated by the 3 of us who own the cars that have remained in Australia.

I wonder if you could confirm if the art cars were the cars that were raced at Bathurst as car numbers 44 and 45 or not?

There was only one car built with the rear air jacks fitted behind the rear wheels, can you advise if the Jagamara Nelson car has, or had, the air jacks in this postion?

Thses questions may seem a little strange but the answers will help to identify which car is which.

There has been a resurgence of interest in Group A Touring cars and these cars are very much in the spotlight again 21 years after their prime. As a matter of interest I have attached a photo taken from the race control tower at the Phillip Island Classic Historic meeting held in March of this year. In a 30 car field 3 of the top 4 places on the grid were E30 M3s.

I have included Ian Branston as a CC on this email as Ian is a personal friend of mine, as well as being our Clubs Australia International Delegate if I am correct, who has displayed an interest in assisting us with our quest.

In closing may I say thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide in our quest to confirm the history of our much cherrished pieces of motor racing history.

Regards
David Towe
Old 14 Jul 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2501661)   #42
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Don't know if this is detailed enough, but here are some shots of car #12 from the first AMSCAR meeting in 1987 (March 29?)

start of round 1 heat 1
Old 14 Jul 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2501897)   #43
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Oh!! Racer you've done well, very well! The pics, particularly the front on close up, clearly show the bonnet pin position which proves the car he drove was either the Jagamara Nelson "art car" or my car. If I can find out the position of the air jacks on the Jagamara Nelson art car that may confirm it was the Crowe/Tulloch/Viacard car. This would mean that one of the art cars is an ex Bathurst car, but not in JPS colours and that the cars now owned by Rahimtulla in Perth and Ward in Melbourne could still both be ex JPS Bathurst cars as #44 and #45.
Thomas Tischler has already responded by advising me he's forwarded my email to the motorsport dept. for them to follow up, I can't wiat to get more info from BMW Germany.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2501955)   #44
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure if these will be any help, but here they are anyway.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2502072)   #45
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Don't know if this is detailed enough, but here are some shots of car #12 from the first AMSCAR meeting in 1987 (March 29?)

start of round 1 heat 1
Whats the story with the Yellow Starion? Any ideas?
Old 15 Jul 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2502079)   #46
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
Whats the story with the Yellow Starion? Any ideas?

looks more like an RX7 to me
Old 15 Jul 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2502082)   #47
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Unlikely mate, Series I Rx7s were Gp A Homologated, and it aint a Ser I.

The end of the name on the windscreen indicates it might be Bartlett?
Old 15 Jul 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2502158)   #48
rogered
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
looks more like an RX7 to me
put your glasses on nick
im sure its a mitsi
Old 15 Jul 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2502308)   #49
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
rdmdog - The yellow Starion is Kevin Bartlett's. He ran it occasionally in 1987 in NSW events (AMSCAR, also the ATCC round at Oran Park)
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2502323)   #50
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Did this car become the Finaur car (for the first AMSCAR meeting)

This is from the cover of "Chequered Flag" magazine January 1987, from a launch in late '86 of the first JPS M3

The article mentions that this isn't the finished product. One would assume this is a converted 325i from the teams 1986 campaign.