Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What did you think to Kimi Raikkonen?
He did a brilliant job, couldn't have done any better! 5 10.00%
He did really well to take his first podium, nice steady start. 26 52.00%
He did OK but the car deserved to finish 2nd. 11 22.00%
Very erratic and showed his inexperience, needs to pull his socks up. 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Mar 2002, 16:51 (Ref:226944)   #1
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did you think to Kimi Raikkonen?

I have to say watching him drive made me miss Mika Hakkinen an awful lot. I think he showed a lot of potential setting the fastest lap, but made a few silly mistakes as well that he was lucky to get away with.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 17:04 (Ref:226956)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if he was nervous or what but he seemed to have no fight or will to go for a very acheiveable second place. He also made numerous rookie errors, as you say Ravan, which he was lucky to get away with. He certianly didn't live up to the hype that hakkiman for one has been lauding over us for months.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 17:06 (Ref:226960)   #3
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not bad.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 17:12 (Ref:226965)   #4
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raikonnen was allright. He beat DC which is always nice though not particularly difficult.

I think he drove a steady race - lets see what he does next time around though - the Mclaren didnt seem particularly fast either.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 17:13 (Ref:226967)   #5
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good little driver one to watch
Old 3 Mar 2002, 17:19 (Ref:226971)   #6
Mania
Veteran

Speaking of Raikonnen - did anyone catch the drivers press conference. Looks like Kimi needs a stint at joy school
Old 3 Mar 2002, 17:25 (Ref:226980)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's obviuosly been watching Hakkinen's interview technique very closely.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 18:08 (Ref:227016)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
He drove well but he seemed too cautious - I'm sure he could have finished 2nd.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 3 Mar 2002, 18:12 (Ref:227018)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi did what he needed to do. He got the car to the finish and into a podium position. Those 4 points could mean all the difference to the final constructors table.

Yes he made some mistakes, but McLaren have said they expect some bent cars as he learns the car and about running with the leaders. Overall I feel he couldn't have done better in this race.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 18:14 (Ref:227021)   #10
The_Z_Man
Racer

The_Z_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Raikonnen was allright. He beat DC
When ? DC got beat by his McLaren.
Quote:
which is always nice though not particularly difficult.
Not very nice to the drivers that finished behind him in the WDC last year IMO.
Quote:
I think he drove a steady race - lets see what he does next time around though - the Mclaren didnt seem particularly fast either.
The_Z_Man
Old 3 Mar 2002, 18:23 (Ref:227029)   #11
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you guys watching ITV or the world feed know Kimi actually came out of the pits ahead of JPM before he went across the grass? I was watching ITV at lunchtime and they didn't show JPM coming through.

I wouldn't say he was too cautious, or lacked the fighting spirit as he came from 11th to 4th place in about 7 or 8 laps after the first re-start and he did really try to get the advantage over JPM coming out of the pits, but it didn't happen. The car’s set-up obviously wasn’t to its optimum, but he did show a lot of enthusiasm driving the car. A good start, 2nd place was on the table however.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 19:29 (Ref:227096)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Did you guys watching ITV or the world feed know Kimi actually came out of the pits ahead of JPM before he went across the grass? I was watching ITV at lunchtime and they didn't show JPM coming through.
Yes, that's correct. They didn't show it, but Kimi came out ahead of JPM, then he made a mistake (which we saw), allowing JPM past again. We never saw JPM during this sequence of events at all (I heard about the scenario afterwards), and you really have to wonder if the producer was asleep. That being said, this often seems to happen - when a car is exiting the pits, the producer very often miss out on showing us what is happening in relation to the cars he is going to be close to on the exit. I think this is generally a very weak point in the production of F1 races for TV - after all, it is one of the more exciting aspects of the races, where a car places after a pit stop, and whether or not a pit stop strategy will be successful in terms of passing a rival car.

Back to the point of the topic - yes Kimi was good. Not bad, not brilliant, but he made a good debut in his first McLaren race. He could optimally have achieved 2nd place, but did well in the circumstances, I think. But did he ever look (and sound) like a little kid during the press conference!
Old 3 Mar 2002, 19:34 (Ref:227100)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
4 points in his first race at mclaren is a very good start, it will give dc something to think about!! what was the point in pushing too much harder and maybe throwing away those precious points??
Old 3 Mar 2002, 19:50 (Ref:227113)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Speaking of Raikonnen - did anyone catch the drivers press conference. Looks like Kimi needs a stint at joy school
Mania, he's a Finn!

From what I've observed, for a Suomi, he was positively giddy

I have no doubt that he is fast and has a mature style which belies his youth. However, I have yet to see him challenge anyone on the track, let alone pass anyone.

I think he has promise but isn't there yet.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 21:01 (Ref:227198)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
However, I have yet to see him challenge anyone on the track, let alone pass anyone.
Were you watching the same race?! He was practically last, came in for a new nose and then very briskly worked his way up to the leaders - no simple matter when the leaders were the three WDC favourites.

Frankly I can hardly imagine how he could have done more - ok he might have taken the fight to JPM, but on the other hand he obviously didn't have the basic car speed over the Williams (which I'd guess would be a symptom of not having race experience on the Michelins).
Old 3 Mar 2002, 21:12 (Ref:227209)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a pretty good first effort in a Mac. But like EERO, I would like to see him a bit more aggressive.
But on the other hand, he may just have a style that is opposite to that of someone like JP. Kimi is more like an Alain Prost, quick and smooth. The next few races should give us a better indication, but he doesn't seem to be the forceful type. I guess his year in the Ferrari junior squad took an edge off his "me first" attitude!!
Old 3 Mar 2002, 21:13 (Ref:227211)   #17
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi did a good job for hist race for Macs. Is there anybody who can honestly say that we should have expected more from him?
Old 3 Mar 2002, 22:20 (Ref:227289)   #18
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi's pace seemed to fluctuate throughout the race. He was capable of setting fast times but not consistently like Schuey can when he needs to.

Nice to see another interesting press conference at the end must be something in the water in Finland!
Old 3 Mar 2002, 22:33 (Ref:227302)   #19
Mania
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

Mania, he's a Finn!

I have no doubt that he is fast and has a mature style which belies his youth. However, I have yet to see him challenge anyone on the track, let alone pass anyone.

Well okay so he's a Finn! But Hakkinen could at least crack a joke or two - Kimi looked like he was miserable. I wonder what'll happen when he wins a race. Maybe he'll show us some of his teeth at last !
Old 3 Mar 2002, 22:35 (Ref:227303)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm still far from convinced that he can step into the shoes of 'The Flying Finn' but yesterdays performance was good, but he did make errors that he should have made last year!!

Blowing it coming out of the pits, and letting JPM through, was very silly, but he obviously has permission off RD to blow it a few times....
Old 4 Mar 2002, 00:46 (Ref:227412)   #21
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Kimi looked like he was miserable.
Exhausted, dehydrated..., it´s normal.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 02:43 (Ref:227436)   #22
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi only caught up to Juan in the early stages becase JPM was losing time fighting off Schumacher...Once Michael got past, JPM's and Kimi's pace stayed equal... Kimi put in a big effort before the pits but it didn't quite work.

How old is Kimi? How old is JPM, Ralf, DC etc?
Old 4 Mar 2002, 07:27 (Ref:227501)   #23
Kalevi
Rookie

Finland
Kalevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

Mania, he's a Finn!

I think Kimi drove a very smart race and took the 4 points home. As for passing: actually Kimi overtook more cars that were on the same lap than anyone else.

On what grounds do you Eero base your comments about finns in general, perhaps ignorance?
Old 4 Mar 2002, 11:30 (Ref:227637)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For his first ever race for McLaren after coming from Sauber, I think he done a very respectable job and this race has set him up for a good year.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 13:24 (Ref:227747)   #25
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know - for fact - why he was able to bang in that mega quick lap once JPM was out of his way just before the stops but then never seem to be able to do the same thing again after the stops. Indded, he gradually fell away from JPM. Did his off deliberately going straight on (wise driving, a bit like Schuey thinks) at the first bend affect his car more than just needing a new nose. And what did he have that needed clearing from his backside? Did this rattle free again later in the race and was this why he fell away from JPM?

Shame the producer missed him PASSING people in the early stages. Producer also kept cutting to replays when he should have kept following Schuey/Montoya etc. Grrr.