Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2002, 23:08 (Ref:395300)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autographs from famous F1-drivers, what would you pay?

This was posted on a Swedish Racing Forum, one guy is selling a book, Formula One - The Cars and the Drivers with an amazing ammount of famous drivers autographs gathered in it. You can find the list below.

So my question is, what would you pay to get this?

FORMULA ONE AUTOGRAPHS COLLECTED IN THE BOOK ”FORMULA ONE --- The Cars and the Drivers” Paintings by Michael
Turner. Commentary by Nigel Roebuck.
Temple Press 1983.

Allison, Cliff
Andretti, Mario
de Angelis, Elio (deceased)
Borgudd, Slim
Brabham, Sir Jack
Brooks, Tony
Von Brauchitsch, Manfred
Baghetti, Giancarlo (deceased)
Clark, Jim (deceased) NB. On separate paper.
Cooper, John (deceased)
Dance, Bob
Dennis, Eddie
Duckworth, Keith
Dudot, Bernard
Fangio, Juan Manuel (deceased)
Frere, Paul
De Graffenried, Baron Emmanuel
Ganley, Howden
Gethin, Peter
Gurney, Dan
His, Jean-Jacques
Hamilton, Duncan (deceased)
Herrmann,Hans
Hill, Phil
von Hanstein, Huschke (deceased)
Hulme, Denis (deceased)
Hunt, James (deceased)
Head, Patrick
Ireland, Innes (deceased)
Johansson, Stefan
Jabouille, Jean-Pierre
Jarier, Jean-Pierre
Kawamoto, Nobuhiko
Kling, Karl
Kent, Geoffrey (deceased)
Lini, Franco (deceased)
Lammers, Jan
Lauda, Niki
Lang, Hermann (deceased)
Laffite, Jacques
Mader, Heini
Moss, Stirling
Mass, Jochen
Murray, Gordon
Nunn, Mo
Oliver, Jackie
Pescarolo, Henri
Posey, Sam
Prost, Alain
Piquet, Nelson
Patrese, Riccardo
Peterson, Ronnie (deceased) NB. On separate paper.
Postlethwaite, Harvey (deceased)
Parnell, Tim
Pietsch, Paul
Rudd, Tony
Regazzoni, Gianclaudio
Reutemann, Carlos
Rosberg, Keke
Rosche, Paul
Salvadori, Roy
Selzer, Cedric
Surtees, John
Scammel, Dick
Schekter, Jody
Sage, Jean
Schuppan, Vern
Stuck, Hans-Joachim
Turner, Michael
Turner, Graham
Tyrrell, Ken (deceased)
Uhlenhaut, Rudolf (deceased)
Walker, Rob (deceased) NB. On separate GP Dinner Meny (BRDC)!
Warr, Peter
Watson, John
Wheatcroft, Bernard
Wilkinson, Wilkie (deceased)
Wisell, Reine
Wolf, Walter
Old 3 Oct 2002, 23:13 (Ref:395302)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I make it a practice never to buy autographs. I only collect the ones I have seen the pilot sign.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 23:17 (Ref:395306)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously.... If you haven't seen them sign it you have no clue as to whether it is real or not. And isnt' the whole point of an autograph that you have something to remember your encounter with the driver? So what's the point of buying something some guy might have just scribbled on?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Oct 2002, 23:18 (Ref:395307)   #4
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mean it's a wonderful collection of drivers and all - but it just isn't the same if you haven't collected them yourself...
Old 3 Oct 2002, 23:20 (Ref:395310)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with you all, I would never want to pay for that, I haven't really understood the pleasure to collect autographs, but anyway...

Just interested to see, I mean there are obviously collectors who would pay for sutch things as these...
Old 3 Oct 2002, 23:27 (Ref:395315)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somebody I know paid $40,000 US for a table that had belonged to John Lennon. Go figure.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 08:07 (Ref:395507)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
$40,000, imagine...
Old 4 Oct 2002, 08:16 (Ref:395513)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not a big autograph person either. I wouldn't mind a couple from some past hero's, but, I probably wouldn't think they were worth it. It would probably depend on the quality of the photo/program/etc... that it was signed on!

If I met the person then it is a reminder of the conversation and meeting. However I think I would prefer a good hand shake and a little chat.

Having said that I have a Johnny Herbert autograph and I didn't meet him either! My Mum and Dad got to the launch of that Jaguar R1 thing. Anyway, after the launch Eddie had just wondered off, but Johnny stayed sat on the edge of the stage talking to people. Legs swinging away. My Mum went over and had a chat and then asked for an autograph for her son. At that point she didn't have anything to sign on her, except her ticket for the meal after. But Johnny said "Hmmm, they might want to take that of you when you go in the room, I'll sign mine." I'm sure Johnny didn't have a problem getting into the meal! So I now have Johnny's invite to the Jaguar launch with his signature on it! I like it because a top story goes with it.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 08:53 (Ref:395531)   #9
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
$40,000, imagine...
LOL!!!!

Robert
Old 4 Oct 2002, 08:57 (Ref:395532)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
$40,000, imagine...
Yep you could actually imagine theres no heaven for $40K its easy if you try!
Old 4 Oct 2002, 09:45 (Ref:395552)   #11
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a signed M Schumacher hat for £285, but I'd never ever ever pay that. I agree with Liz, Jay and TotalF1: The whole idea of having an autograph is that it was written for *you*. Plus, yeah, there is the risk that it ain't real, which I'm very wary of.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 09:56 (Ref:395556)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The only
things that i have paid for that are signed are my Eddie Irvine prints (4 of em), a Damon Hill print signed by Eddie Jordan and pride of place, my signed JPM diecast car, all of which are authenticated.

I have got a few autographs, but would never pay for them, although my missus did, but not with money, her ribs , she got them crushed against the barrier getting my Silverstone ticket signed by JPM last year!..............She loves me

Last edited by Mr V; 4 Oct 2002 at 09:58.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 11:01 (Ref:395606)   #13
Liz
Veteran

i got a poster signed by all the Trans Am drivers at the Victoria Day race a couple of years ago and during that race one of the drivers was killed and one was critically injured and is still recovering from it. I got it matted and framed as a sobering reminder that life is uncertain.

My "pride and joy" is the 2001 Le Mans entry list which I have almost completely signed by the drivers who were there. It was great fun gathering the signatures over 10 ALMS races and the drivers had fun with it too, and it makes a great "ice breaker" in the paddock as well.

But the best autograph I have is a Target Team Ganassi Wheaties box signed by JPM and Vasser. I got it for $10.00 from a man who had become disgusted with CART after they left Homestead and apparently doesn't realise that he just gave away about $1,000 for nothing.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 11:08 (Ref:395610)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
My best haul was Jochen Rindt,Graham Hill,Denny Hulme,Piers Courage,Derek Bell and Chris Amon.3 World Champions in one pop,not bad when your 10yrs old.....1969NZGP
Old 4 Oct 2002, 11:55 (Ref:395664)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
autographs are just a receipt to say you've met someone really aren't they? never been a fan myself. but i can see how a book like that is worth a lot of money.

and you can get more autographs when you're ten, you play the puppy dog eyes card. play that when you're a girl my age and you get an invite back to their house or a phone number
Old 4 Oct 2002, 12:15 (Ref:395689)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got the signatures of Nelson Piquet and Mauricio Gugelim, but I am not 100% sure if they are real - I didn't pay a large price for them, they were from a deceased person who had left his books in a second hand bookshop.

Just a huge stack of racing programs, I happened to buy the 1989 Australian GP, signed allegedly by those two drives. I'd imagine they are genuine, whoever owned the programs had written all the practice times in the back of the book etc, so it was obviously a big fan. I'd say a more than half chance of being real, but you never know

I'd love that book if it was real signatures, but how can you tell? I'll treasure my Craig Lowndes, Leanne Ferrier, Garth Tander etc signatures instead, cause I know they are REAL.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 10:32 (Ref:396246)   #17
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
I'd love that book if it was real signatures, but how can you tell? I'll treasure my Craig Lowndes, Leanne Ferrier, Garth Tander etc signatures instead, cause I know they are REAL.
You can know that they are real. The person who is selling this book is a well known Swedish motor journalist, Sveneric Eriksson, who has been working for very many years. He has covered F1 for very long, not now though, and met I suppouse all of these drivers.

The price he is asking, well, read for your self: "I just want to say that it is NOT cheap. Only a Fangio autograph costs about 3-5000 (Swedish Kronor, about 3-500 USD) Jim Clark as well. I can also consider payment in form of a fun car or bike."
Old 5 Oct 2002, 11:50 (Ref:396279)   #18
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I completely agree with the sentiments about collecting autographs. I have a reasonable collection, including both Schu's, JPM etc, which I have got myself during 'very brief meetings'. They remind me of special moments over the years. I also try to get my own photo's signed as they make good talking points.
On the topic of accepting signitures without meeting people, I was having lunch at an ex's on 1st May 1994. After the race, in an attemp to cheer me up, her flatmate tried to give me a programme she had got clearly signed by Senna and Prost while collecting litter from the pit lane at Silverstone '89. She had no interest in racing really but lived local and did it for cash. I refused, partly because I knew she would now be able to sell it for big-bucks, and also because I have always collected my own autographs. Since then I have often thought what happened to it after I handed it back. I really hope it is not just in a drawer like it was that day. My principles remained intact, but not the best financial decision I have ever made...
Old 5 Oct 2002, 15:43 (Ref:396367)   #19
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf Schumacher gave me his autograph. And I didnt even asked for it! dammit!
Old 5 Oct 2002, 22:28 (Ref:396550)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The organisation I'm involved with once sold the chequered flag used at Adelaide in 1993 (? - the race Senna won), signed by Senna, for just under $20,000 Australian.

Re: not knowing if they are real - this is why you buy from reputable dealers who have Certificates of Authenticity that comply with Trade Practices Acts and treat their Certificates as legal documents. You ask questions and if they can't answer them and/or give inconsistent answers, don't buy from them. And be very, very careful buying over the internet. It's called memorabilia, people.

As for the book listed above. If all those signatures are on the book, and there is a Certificate of Authenticity provided, you could be looking at paying anything between $5,000 - $10,000 (Australian) for something like that. Probably towards the higher end of that range, if not, a little higher.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 01:25 (Ref:396633)   #21
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the Molson Indy Vancouver of 1995, I was a sponsor guest at Greg Moore's Pit Stop Club at the Plaza of Nations for a reception, at which I managed to get several signed pieces, while engaging in a great conversation for 20 minutes or so...once he found out my son's name is Ayrton, that's all it took!.....anyway, an absolutely super young man, and a great driver....r.i.p..

I know it's not F1, but Greg was something special.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 01:37 (Ref:396643)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he was, thanks for that story. I still miss his presense at Cart races.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Oct 2002, 07:23 (Ref:396723)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoy going to CART races and getting my autographs for free. Maybe abit of legwork, but it frees up my cash for the beer stand.

Some names from F1 that I've had the pleasure to meet and garner autographs from include Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti, Juan Montoya, Alex Zanardi, Dan Gurney, Mauricio Gugelmin, Shinji Nakano and Mark Blundell.

As for CART drivers, I've never paid a dime above the cost of a paddock pass for names such as Mears, Moore, Unser, deFerran, Tracy, Rahal... The list could fill a book.

I won't go so far as to say that I'd never pay for an autograph. Went to a Detroit Tigers game a few years ago and bought an 8x10 signed by Denny McLain. But that was for ten bucks. And I was rather tipsy anyway. Just glad I didn't pay the four hundred billion dollars (or whatever) they were asking for a golf ball signed by Tiger Woods.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 13:15 (Ref:396828)   #24
Liz
Veteran

I have autographs from hockey players in the old 6 team days when they used to have legible signatures and you didn't hvae to pay them $50.00 each. I collected those because I liked the players. Some of them are personalized to me. My nephew the accountant said, "That makes them less valuable." I told him it made them MORE valuable because they are now mine alone. I also have a couple of autographed books that I feel the same way about. And I have a personal letter from Ken Dryden that he signed, along with the envelope with his home address on it! Yeah I know he has turned into Mr. Magoo, but he was my idol when he played for the Canadiens.

We have a local firm that sells driver gear and memorabilia and when I went in there with my Zonta cap on they said they had one he'd signed. I bet they still have it. (I told them I would rather have him sign mine and they looked insulted.) But I have heard that at least half the available autographs in the world are fraudulent. Apparently they have people in some teams who sign the autographs routinely.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 14:45 (Ref:396877)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I make it a practice never to buy autographs. I only collect the ones I have seen the pilot sign.
thats good advice. I have bought a few books that are signed , but only from certain respected sources.