Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jun 2005, 07:51 (Ref:1342563)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
V8 Supercars Testing Days

Why does AVESCO and TEGA have to put a 6 day limit for testing? Also, why do teams have to dip into their used tyres bin, rather having Dunlop giving teams a tyre surplus ( I think 24 sets of tyres for each 2 car team. Equaling to 12 sets of tyres per car). I think the testing days should go to a month. What do you good people think about the testing rules? Good rules or change the rules?
Old 29 Jun 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1342569)   #2
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea is to cut $$$$$$$ but teams will just put the money elsewhere to get the same advantage of testing.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1345101)   #3
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I think, that if AVESCO and TEGA do not bring in more testing days, the Series will Implode like what happened in the BTTC/TOCA Series.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1345335)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Well, I think, that if AVESCO and TEGA do not bring in more testing days, the Series will Implode like what happened in the BTTC/TOCA Series.
Your logic escapes me on this one.
Please explain (sorry Pauline) why reduced testing will cause a series to implode.
I would have thought the uncontrolled spending of the BTCC was what brought it down.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 03:28 (Ref:1345705)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 days is abit of a joke, give them 12 or so and allow them some new tyres.

It also give drivers a chance to test for the enduro's without taking away time to do some development as well.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1345875)   #6
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Cynically I suggest it is to keep those at the top, at the top. Take young Davo, starting a long way back.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1345881)   #7
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about this for an idea? 2 days per month per team of testing. The tyre supplier provides new tyres for this as they could themselves test new compounds and constructions.

I mean does testing really cost that much? It isnt like F1 who have seperate test teams and drivers etc.

Maybe with the 2 days per month, they could specify it on a calendar as to which track it is. All teams rock up on these days. They'd then have comparable data to other teams and they could all share the circuit costs. Each car would only be allocated two sets (just plucked that out of my head) for the session, therefore spread over two days, most cars would have a clear track. By this. I mean that two sets of tyres wouldnt stand up to constant hammering for both days - the teams would spread out when they are on track.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1345949)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos
I mean does testing really cost that much? It isnt like F1 who have seperate test teams and drivers etc.
From those who should know.... testing costs of componentry that needs to be replaced by teams on a 'lifing' basis, the running rate per kilometre is around the $700-$1,200 mark, depending who you talk to. Per Kilometre!!!

Ride cars with longer life engines/gearboxes/brakes etc etc cost a little less than that.

Travel & Accomodation is free is you test in your home state... except usually for the driver, and anyone else who takes the toy for a tickle on a TEGA-endorsed test triumph (try saying that ten times fast!)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jul 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1347469)   #9
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah cost containment... Such a silly concept. Restriction some times means added cost!
It is more costly to find an advantage when restricted than it is sometimes when rules are more flexable because greater technical expertise is needed to find that advantage so the cost escalates. Probably will forever be one of those bar topics with no real answer because there is good argument on both sides, personally would love to see a scaled testing allocation a bit like the draft were the lower placed teams get a bit of extra help with extra test days to bring them up to speed and to provide more competitive teams. Short term extra cost because of extra days but surley the offset for sponsors or potentials is greater results and better television etc.
Old 30 Jul 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1367254)   #10
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
This is my idea for the testing issue:

The testing days should be beefed up to 4 weeks (or a month). All new teams will get 2 monts (or 8 weeks) worth of testing. With tyres, there should be get a 100 tyre surplus for two car teams. With a single car team, they get 50, while 3 car teams should get 150 tyre surplus. Does anyone agree or disagree?
Old 30 Jul 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1367274)   #11
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
This is my idea for the testing issue:

The testing days should be beefed up to 4 weeks (or a month). All new teams will get 2 monts (or 8 weeks) worth of testing. With tyres, there should be get a 100 tyre surplus for two car teams. With a single car team, they get 50, while 3 car teams should get 150 tyre surplus. Does anyone agree or disagree?
Meanwhile on planet Earth . I think the current 6 days of testing is too few , I remember Brad Jones wanting 12 to 15 days of testing a year . Which sounds about right to me . Or another idea of having the Friday of each race meeting as a test day .
Old 30 Jul 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1367842)   #12
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have an open test the day before a meeting starts at all tracks, for all rounds.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1367886)   #13
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Imagine the fuel bill for a transporter to get to Woomera.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1367893)   #14
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
LOL. What a classic call.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1367921)   #15
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Cynically I suggest it is to keep those at the top, at the top. Take young Davo, starting a long way back.
Well I think, unfortunately, that young Will Davison is just plain better at driving V8s than Alex is... Alex Davison doesn't seem to be suited, is his car much worse than Richo's maybe?
Old 2 Aug 2005, 01:08 (Ref:1369765)   #16
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All races should have the 2hr Practice sessionn on the Friday. AND the warm up on Sunday morning.... Even Skaifey agrees with that.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 01:39 (Ref:1369769)   #17
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingall said something interesting on RPM on the weekend.. How about a 2hr practice session on the Friday, then another 2hr practice session on the Saturday morning??

I like it