Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Oct 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3772404)   #316
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess the overall point here is that GT cars could obtain a speed of x, but only obtain a speed of y because of the regulations. We can dream of a scenario where cars go faster, but in modern racing, making a car go faster is not relavent. Making cars equal in their class is what matters. Wrong or right, that is what we have.
Old 7 Oct 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3772432)   #317
canaglia
Racer

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I guess the overall point here is that GT cars could obtain a speed of x, but only obtain a speed of y because of the regulations. We can dream of a scenario where cars go faster, but in modern racing, making a car go faster is not relavent. Making cars equal in their class is what matters. Wrong or right, that is what we have.
Considering that next year lmpc class will be finally dismissed for good and that very likely lmp2/dpi will be at least 1 second faster; it wouldn't be a complete stupid idea to give more power to gtlm at all.
600hp maybe is too much, a range of 550hp could be more reasonable.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 05:57 (Ref:3773347)   #318
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Easily achievable for turbo cars (bmw, ferrari, ford, next vantage) with a huge fuel tank boost to keep the actual 65min window.
Corvette could achieve that too without increase displacement.

No way for porsche motor, who already struggle to hit 510hp @10000rpm
Does the 991 RSR really rev to 10k?

Also, iirc Manthey came clsoe to 600 hp in their 4.3 and 4.4 variants in the 997 RSR

But I wouldn't mind seeing Porsche to switch to a twin turbo engine. Maybe even "just" the 3.0 engine from the Carrera, which is what the car is homologated on
Old 10 Oct 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3773355)   #319
canaglia
Racer

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi_S View Post
Does the 991 RSR really rev to 10k?

Also, iirc Manthey came clsoe to 600 hp in their 4.3 and 4.4 variants in the 997 RSR

But I wouldn't mind seeing Porsche to switch to a twin turbo engine. Maybe even "just" the 3.0 engine from the Carrera, which is what the car is homologated on
according to this long telemetry on board at le mans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBhQegFhzY

the upshift is almost always at 9000rpm, but more than once the engine keeps on revving higher even further than that.
991 GT3R has a mandatory revlimit to 9500rpm too.

porsche gtlm is a mere MR car now, they can't say no more that there is no room for turbos there.
I hope they will fit the 3.8 twin turbo from the new gt2 rs
Old 10 Oct 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3773476)   #320
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Considering that next year lmpc class will be finally dismissed for good and that very likely lmp2/dpi will be at least 1 second faster; it wouldn't be a complete stupid idea to give more power to gtlm at all.
600hp maybe is too much, a range of 550hp could be more reasonable.
Agreed more horsepower for GTLM/GTE. Nothing wrong if they run laps of 3 min 46 at Le Mans and 1 min 40 at Daytona.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3774661)   #321
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto hebdo magazine, have an interview with Pierre Fillon and talks about the future of LMP1 and the reflection of a return to prototypes aesthetically close to street hyper cars.
The cover of the magazine has a nice render of Mercedes AMG Proyect one racing in Le Mans.

https://scontent.fsst1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...9b&oe=5A8756D2
Old 17 Oct 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3774665)   #322
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now that I dig!

Old 17 Oct 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3774672)   #323
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Now that I dig!
Something like this can gain traction and help bring an end of the big honking fin era.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3774679)   #324
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think the fin will go away on prototypes. The ACO and FIA pushed for it, and with the sidepods and other bodywork being what it is on LMP cars now, teams like it for advertising purposes.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3774690)   #325
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Something like this can gain traction and help bring an end of the big honking fin era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I don't think the fin will go away on prototypes. The ACO and FIA pushed for it, and with the sidepods and other bodywork being what it is on LMP cars now, teams like it for advertising purposes.
The Mercedes AMG Project One has a small fin.
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/wp-con...0-1280x720.jpg
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/wp-con...-3400x1440.jpg
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...-for-the-road/
Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:11 (Ref:3774771)   #326
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Auto hebdo magazine, have an interview with Pierre Fillon and talks about the future of LMP1 and the reflection of a return to prototypes aesthetically close to street hyper cars.
The cover of the magazine has a nice render of Mercedes AMG Proyect one racing in Le Mans.

https://scontent.fsst1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...9b&oe=5A8756D2
Sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:27 (Ref:3774775)   #327
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Sounds like a great idea to me.
Yes, I like the idea too.
Maybe it is the result of the survey.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3774781)   #328
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Yes, I like the idea too.
Maybe it is the result of the survey.
For the topic of this thread, it does make me wonder how the current GTE teams would react to a GTish top prototype class. Would some of them step up and ignore their GTE programs or do a program in addition?
Old 18 Oct 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3774785)   #329
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
For the topic of this thread, it does make me wonder how the current GTE teams would react to a GTish top prototype class. Would some of them step up and ignore their GTE programs or do a program in addition?
Very good question. I guess it depends of the cost, how free will the rules be and if they are going to apply some kind of BOP.
LMP1 just fell by the explosion of the costs and the same thing happened at the end of 90's, I have the feeling that the ACO will take its precautions this time.
if this GTish top prototype class happens, perhaps the most logical would be that the GTE transform into these GT1 or GTP rules and GTE-AM use GT3 cars.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 04:10 (Ref:3774786)   #330
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good way to ruin 2 classes! One of which has been pretty FRAKKING good for 15-ish years.

L.P.