Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3746917)   #16
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Mobile phone is incredible useful for things like live timing information. Some of us want to enjoy the experience of being there, some of us want to try and understand the race flow as much as we can. No harm in either.
Exactly so. And Le Mans gives you the time to have your cake and eat it.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3746975)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well as you have already said your o2 connection meant it did not work very well and yet you enjoyed the race even more, the amount of people i saw staring at phones is no different at le mans to the actual world, oblivious to everything around them, what a way to exist.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3746976)   #18
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, but it's all a case of staying connected Simon, still a reasonably new concept and one which we'll undoubtedly hear a great deal more of over the next few years at Le Mans and elsewhere.....
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3747043)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Perhaps but the thought of 260,000 people all starring at phones while the race in front of them is ignored is a horrid idea, yes use the info only when you need it, and if you look up from your phone sometime Andrew and look at most of the younger generation around you, then you will see what a horrid addiction the modern phone is.

Sorry but pet hate of mine
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3747046)   #20
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
I don't disagree Simon, I see it all the time too. But the modern phone is such a useful device - I even left my video camera at home this year as my phone takes better quality video!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3747378)   #21
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Rather than stare at a small lump of plastic try looking at that black ribbon of tarmac, big screens also help, not sure why anyone travels hundreds of miles to watch a race only to try and follow it on their phone, the addiction of those things is a curse of the modern world, Andrew you used to enjoy the race before you had them and you seem to enjoy it less now. Solution is obvious
Not quite within this argument, but my first visits to LM coincided with me getting interested in photography. And someone made a very similar comment to me about watching the race through my lens. Each to their own and all that, but I think you do have a point...
Old 27 Jun 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3747380)   #22
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Not quite within this argument, but my first visits to LM coincided with me getting interested in photography. And someone made a very similar comment to me about watching the race through my lens. Each to their own and all that, but I think you do have a point...
That is a good point Dave, as much the same occurred with me. I only started going to racing (again) around the end of '84 when I returned home after studying. The issue of the camera to the eye has been a constant for me now for all the time since and it's something I find impossible to shake off, even though I tell myself each year that I'm not going to take 500 shots of cars at Tertre Rouge again. In fact, sitting in Raccordement for the last hour and a half of this year's race, I used taking photographs purely as a means of staying awake!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3747384)   #23
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That is a good point Dave, as much the same occurred with me. I only started going to racing (again) around the end of '84 when I returned home after studying. The issue of the camera to the eye has been a constant for me now for all the time since and it's something I find impossible to shake off, even though I tell myself each year that I'm not going to take 500 shots of cars at Tertre Rouge again. In fact, sitting in Raccordement for the last hour and a half of this year's race, I used taking photographs purely as a means of staying awake!
I managed to break the 'curse' the year I went with another photography friend. I limited myself to my 50mm lens only for the whole weekend, and a strict rule not to take 500 photos of the same corner. Wayyyyy more fun, I saw more of the race and had a much more varied series of photos
Old 27 Jun 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3747386)   #24
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
You're clearly a lot more disciplined than me! Having said that, I ditched my old video camera this year because my iPhone takes far better video. Because that's so handy, I took a lot of video which has cut down on the number of photos I took with my SLR - as did the heat, because we spent more time in grandstands for the shade where we would otherwise have been walking around the circuit a lot more. (We still walked plenty but my 'mileage' was down on last year!).
Old 28 Jun 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3747536)   #25
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
...we spent more time in grandstands for the shade where we would otherwise have been walking around the circuit a lot more...
On a similar note to comments about "watching through the camera lens", it is often too easy (especially if there is 'weather') to just sit in the grandstand and watch the race on the big tv screen above the pits, rather than walking around the track and seeing the action up close.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3747582)   #26
isynge
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
On a similar note to comments about "watching through the camera lens", it is often too easy (especially if there is 'weather') to just sit in the grandstand and watch the race on the big tv screen above the pits, rather than walking around the track and seeing the action up close.
For all that there are times when being endlessly informed is great, every once in a while there's an appeal to disconnecting, looking at what you can see, gathering what you can from snatched bits of commentary and piecing things together. Times when there hasn't been English radio at Spa, or Le Mans in 2014 when I simply wasn't organised with radio batteries etc all contributed to that. It's a different experience, you see things differently, look at different things, and overall worth doing every once in a while.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3747605)   #27
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
I managed to break the 'curse' the year I went with another photography friend. I limited myself to my 50mm lens only for the whole weekend, and a strict rule not to take 500 photos of the same corner. Wayyyyy more fun, I saw more of the race and had a much more varied series of photos
You published these photos anywhere yet Dave?

If you watch a full race week you'll see the main Le Mans field for what, 35 hours! That's plenty of time to do whatever you want. Frankly I've no idea how anyone could be 'unplugged' let's say for that amount of time. The cars and atmosphere is fantastic, but it's more fantastic within the context of the race, and if I didn't know what was going on I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. The screens aren't close enough or detailed enough to convey the results consistently. So I'm with Ayse, live timing and Twitter info is a really nice complement to the action. It's quite easy to lose the thread of the race, and if I'm going to stay up then I want to be as informed as possible.

But the beauty of Le Mans is that everyone can do their own thing. The groups of guys you see sat in the campsites during the race I just don't understand. But I know they'll come away having just as good of a time as me.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3747653)   #28
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Even easier this year, as walking around was so darned hot! The shade of the grandstand was very welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

But the beauty of Le Mans is that everyone can do their own thing. The groups of guys you see sat in the campsites during the race I just don't understand. But I know they'll come away having just as good of a time as me.
Exactly so......
Old 29 Jun 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3747740)   #29
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i spent quite a bit of this years race sat in the campsite listening to the radio, and did not do my usual walking around but the reasons for that were the heat, the sun and doctors advice, but was glad i was there and obviously will return, RLM was therefore much more important that usual.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3747746)   #30
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
The first year I went I relied on Bob Constanduros and as I didn't have tickets for the start line area wasn't actually sure of the result until I read Motoring News when I got home!

As for watching the phone, with a 3.5 minute lap there's a lot of action going on away from where you're sat, and keeping up with your favourite on live timing or TV us really good. You're being too hard on people.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk