Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Jun 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3747582)   #26
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
On a similar note to comments about "watching through the camera lens", it is often too easy (especially if there is 'weather') to just sit in the grandstand and watch the race on the big tv screen above the pits, rather than walking around the track and seeing the action up close.
For all that there are times when being endlessly informed is great, every once in a while there's an appeal to disconnecting, looking at what you can see, gathering what you can from snatched bits of commentary and piecing things together. Times when there hasn't been English radio at Spa, or Le Mans in 2014 when I simply wasn't organised with radio batteries etc all contributed to that. It's a different experience, you see things differently, look at different things, and overall worth doing every once in a while.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3747605)   #27
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
I managed to break the 'curse' the year I went with another photography friend. I limited myself to my 50mm lens only for the whole weekend, and a strict rule not to take 500 photos of the same corner. Wayyyyy more fun, I saw more of the race and had a much more varied series of photos
You published these photos anywhere yet Dave?

If you watch a full race week you'll see the main Le Mans field for what, 35 hours! That's plenty of time to do whatever you want. Frankly I've no idea how anyone could be 'unplugged' let's say for that amount of time. The cars and atmosphere is fantastic, but it's more fantastic within the context of the race, and if I didn't know what was going on I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. The screens aren't close enough or detailed enough to convey the results consistently. So I'm with Ayse, live timing and Twitter info is a really nice complement to the action. It's quite easy to lose the thread of the race, and if I'm going to stay up then I want to be as informed as possible.

But the beauty of Le Mans is that everyone can do their own thing. The groups of guys you see sat in the campsites during the race I just don't understand. But I know they'll come away having just as good of a time as me.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3747653)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
On a similar note to comments about "watching through the camera lens", it is often too easy (especially if there is 'weather') to just sit in the grandstand and watch the race on the big tv screen above the pits, rather than walking around the track and seeing the action up close.
Even easier this year, as walking around was so darned hot! The shade of the grandstand was very welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

But the beauty of Le Mans is that everyone can do their own thing. The groups of guys you see sat in the campsites during the race I just don't understand. But I know they'll come away having just as good of a time as me.
Exactly so......
Old 29 Jun 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3747740)   #29
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i spent quite a bit of this years race sat in the campsite listening to the radio, and did not do my usual walking around but the reasons for that were the heat, the sun and doctors advice, but was glad i was there and obviously will return, RLM was therefore much more important that usual.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3747746)   #30
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The first year I went I relied on Bob Constanduros and as I didn't have tickets for the start line area wasn't actually sure of the result until I read Motoring News when I got home!

As for watching the phone, with a 3.5 minute lap there's a lot of action going on away from where you're sat, and keeping up with your favourite on live timing or TV us really good. You're being too hard on people.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jun 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3747754)   #31
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Ohhhh mannnn, not one of these 'sit and tap away on a forum on their phone bods'......
Old 29 Jun 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3747813)   #32
ForZiE23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thame, Oxfordshire
ForZiE23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting read, have enjoyed learning and following the Le mans this year. It seems much more in the general public eye given social media platforms and coverage.