Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 Dec 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3175907)   #1
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History of Motorsport Broadcasting/Tapes

Im currently writing a piece (which could turn into a book) on the history of broadcasting of motorsport, its going to be largely focussed on Formula One just because that has the highest demand and it might actually get published that way.

What i am looking for is any information on early broadcasts of formula one on television across the world short of going to the TV stations myself yet. as i am sure this will be the path i will need to take sooner rather than later.

If anyone has any information concerning theese early races, lets say pre 1980 then please share your memories, i have been doing a bit of research into the BBC Radio Times Archive which shows that the BBC have broadcast motorsport usually in the form of F1 from as early as 1955, some even suggest that the pre war 1930's races from Donnington Park were shown though probably not live.

Even better would be if anyone has any of this rare footage, i have a lot(most) of the stuff available on the internet but if anyone know of any rare footage or has any tapes lying around with anything from the early 80's or older i would be very interested to know.

Joseph
Old 7 Dec 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3176121)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this has been discussed before-try a search? First race ever televised was Crystal Palace F.Libre handicap in 1937.First British GP 1953-First motorracing I ever saw was '54 British GP.First from abroad '59 Monaco.First from beyond Europe Indy 500 '66.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3176129)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget in the very early days of TV it was easier to broadcast live than, for example, "film" the TV output for later playback because videotape did not exist.

Television came to Australia in 1956 and the Australia Grand Prix was televised that same year. TV stations were quick to see the appeal of motor racing for their viewers.

But motor racing was challenging to broadcast. The most obvious problem was that a race track required many more cameras to properly cover than for example football or cricket.

With early B&W TV picture quality dropped dramatically as picture cable length increased and the picture would jump and roll as the director changed cameras. Quite often half the track or more would be left not be covered by cameras leaving the commnetators and viewers in the dark about what was going on out of their sight.

But having said that there were some amazing efforts in production. Search for some of the 1960's and 1970's German GP at the Nurburgring on Youtube and marvel at the number of cameras used.