Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Jul 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1352143)   #26
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Price took me back a bit there - I knew it was tricky to find but I've still not seen one change hands for more than £90 over here.

And to think I bought mine as a "second" from a discount bookshop in 1996 for £11.50...
Old 11 Jul 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1352274)   #27
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the link. In view of the price I think I'd like to flick through the pages before parting with money.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1352294)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I'd be reluctant to pay that price for any book. The most I ever paid was £90 for 'The Certain Sound' by John Wyer on eBay last year, although I was told I was lucky to get it for under a £120 or so. It is in really good condition, too, with nice dust cover.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:15 (Ref:1352295)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
I really wanted to like this more than I did - the 2nd edition is very 'bitty', and includes far too many pics taken at concours and historic events. BMW's involvement in IMSA GTP is covered in a mere 4 pages (then again the book's subtitle is "Eighty years of engineering and motorsport success"...) and the F2 results stop at the end of '78 - so the Honda challenge isn't documented properly. Naturally (!) there's no mention of BMW engines used in Group 6 and Group C.

It also really rushes the F1 engine story - the BMW turbo was the most fascinating and awesome piece of kit, and it's dashed off in a couple of chapters. There's more about it in Nye's Autocourse History of the GP Car!

As a book on BMW in touring car racing, it's great. As a balanced overall history of BMW in motorsport, I think it's very flawed.

The second edition feels like a rush job, it could've been so much better!
Pete, on reflection, I think you are probably right about this but it covers a subject I have a particular interest in, which probably coloured my view.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1354472)   #30
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Basic gen on the Briggs book here. Am amazed at the price...

Blimey. Especially as I paid 12 quid for it when it was remaindered a few months after first appearing....
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1354475)   #31
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are so many classics that went through a remaindering stage. Most of my Dave Friedmans have been acquired through careful watching of remainder shops. Racing With the David Brown Aston Martins was for a while £15.00 the pair. Michael Reidner's Mercedes W196 book was spotted in a seconds shop for £12.95 indecently soon after publication.

Right now, most booksellers are taking advantage of Transport Bookman selling off their inventory on the cheap. I would strongly suggest laying down copies of Shooting Star, Sports Car Heaven, The Robert Fellows Collection and The Rivals while they're still available.

And £20 for the Zborowski biography (original price £95) can't last forever.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1354477)   #32
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Yes, I'd be reluctant to pay that price for any book. The most I ever paid was £90 for 'The Certain Sound' by John Wyer on eBay last year, although I was told I was lucky to get it for under a £120 or so. It is in really good condition, too, with nice dust cover.
The most I've ever paid for a single volume new racing book was "Quicksilver Century" which was 60 quid, IIRC (and I was earning eff-all-ha'penny then relative to what I'm making now ;P). I've since paid more for the multi-volume "Time and Two Seats", "Porsche: Excellence was Expected", and the Brooklands Books Le Mans set...

I've been over that several times for older books though - The Certain Sound I got for just over £100 a couple of years ago, but prices seem to be slightly down for that, and I was shocked when I got the equally rare Automobile Year Book Of Sports Car Racing for about £60. At the moment I'm trying to get an affordable copy of David Weguelin's history of ERA, but that is proving expensive, and to extend my Autocourse collection back before 1976-77 -- I was outbid on a Hesketh presentation copy of '75-6 last month, which is annoying ;P
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1354481)   #33
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
There are so many classics that went through a remaindering stage. Most of my Dave Friedmans have been acquired through careful watching of remainder shops. Racing With the David Brown Aston Martins was for a while £15.00 the pair. Michael Reidner's Mercedes W196 book was spotted in a seconds shop for £12.95 indecently soon after publication.

Right now, most booksellers are taking advantage of Transport Bookman selling off their inventory on the cheap. I would strongly suggest laying down copies of Shooting Star, Sports Car Heaven, The Robert Fellows Collection and The Rivals while they're still available.

And £20 for the Zborowski biography (original price £95) can't last forever.
Who's got the Zborowski book for a score?

I also have a cheap copy of Riedner - bought it in a strange bookshop near St Paul's Cathedral in about 1990 along with the previous year's Jane's All The World's Aircraft, for a total of under 30 quid.

I bought Friedman's "The Legends Of Motorsport" recently and paid a lot more than a tenner for it... but that's an exquisite book.

The one I kick myself for is when The Certain Sound was remaindered not long after it came out. There was one copy of it, sitting on a remainder table in the book department of Blacker's department store in Liverpool, and I flicked through it, thought "oh yeah, that's nice, I'll pick it up next time I'm in town", and bought something about then-contemporary F1.... It was a fiver.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1354488)   #34
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
Who's got the Zborowski book for a score?
Mill House Books. And ensign14, thanks to a Goodwood browse.

The "David Brown Aston Martins" was the one (or 2) I kicked myself over, I could not afford £15 for them as well as the £25 for Doug Nye's Autocourse History and the Black Books that I was accumulating with my Saturday job money...well, at least the latter are appreciating as well. I wonder if it will be re-vamped and re-issued at some point?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1354496)   #35
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
£20 Zborowskis also available from Collectors Carbooks and (if you must) Chaters!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1354502)   #36
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ensign, I'm not sure if you've heard my David Brown Astons story - I bought a pair from Chaters' stall at Silverstone at a GP one year (1986 I think) for the fabled £15. Proudly wandered round with it for the afternoon before discovering I'd lost my wallet including my return rail ticket.

I had to go cap in hand to Chaters to ask them to buy it back so that I could afford to travel home from the GP.

I managed to replace the books about 5 years ago, but it cost me £100 to do it, and they were from a smoker's household to boot. You can always tell... yellow tint to the tops of the pages...
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1354600)   #37
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Mill House Books. And ensign14, thanks to a Goodwood browse.

The "David Brown Aston Martins" was the one (or 2) I kicked myself over, I could not afford £15 for them as well as the £25 for Doug Nye's Autocourse History and the Black Books that I was accumulating with my Saturday job money...well, at least the latter are appreciating as well. I wonder if it will be re-vamped and re-issued at some point?
There've been a couple of rumours that the Black Books will be reissued on CD. But I've heard nothing from any source that would count as "reliable" - is it just wishful thinking?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1354651)   #38
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here are my top 20, in no particular order.

1.Le Mans 24 hours official yearbook's 2000-2004
2.Le Mans 24 hours - Brian Laban
3.Bentley at Le Mans - Race Tech
4.FIA GT yearbook's 2003-2004
5.International Motor racing guide - Peter Higham
6.Touring car world 2003-2005 - Fabio Ravaioli
7.Moto GP season Guide 2004-2005 - Julian Ryder
8.Moto GP season Review 2004 - Julian Ryder
9.Le Mans'55 - Christopher Hilton
10.LMES Yearbook 2004
11.Grand Prix Who's who 3rd Edition - Steve Small
12.The Daily Telegraph, Formula One years
13.Motor Racing's strangest races - Geoff Tiballs
14.Michael Schumacher, the greatest of all? - Christopher Hilton
15.The Daily Telegraph complete Encyclopida of Formula One
16.Champ Car official yearbook - Autocourse
17.The Power Game - Ivan Rendall
18.Formula One Unseen Archives - Tim Hill
19.My Autiobiography, Unless Im very much mistaken - Murray walker
20.ITV Sport Grand Prix Guide 97,2000-2005
Old 20 Jul 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1359461)   #39
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Thanks to everyone who pointed me at Chris Knapman for a copy of The Racing Zborowskis. 95 quid would've been a bit steep for it but 50 or 60 would've been eminently reasonable, and at 20 it's one of the bargains of the year - there are LOTS of well-chosen words and an excellent selection of pictures. Highly recommended.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1359464)   #40
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_sykes

HOW MUCH!

They will keep there vaule though, like the Driving Ambition book.

Dave Richards has a new book out too.
Driving ambition? The McLaren F1 book? That I got a shrinkwrapped copy of from Mill House for 16 quid last month?
Old 20 Jul 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1359589)   #41
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
6.Touring car world 2003-2005 - Fabio Ravaioli
Whats that like, like is it stats of the cars or season review?
Old 20 Jul 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1359608)   #42
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really its more of a stats book than a actual review. There are pictures within the book with writting at the side next to the photos though, not a annual though. If your a touring car fan though IMO you cant really go wrong, its a very good stats book covering every touring car series worldwide running to Super 2000 regulations, doesent cover the DTM. See this link for more details. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...744025-7454055 Probably the cheapest place you will find too IMO to purchase this book, ive looked elsewhere and its normally a few quid more from other sites. Hope that helps.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1359940)   #43
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its sounds decent might look into that, thanks.

It is all in English yeah?
Old 21 Jul 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1360034)   #44
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yeah its all in English, I assume there are other versions of the book in differnt languages but the one on Amazon and the copies ive got have all been 100% English.
Old 26 Jul 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1363650)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just read The Piranha club and, I have to say, it was awful. I'm sure it's a great book, but it has far too many commas in it and is practically unreadable!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1363714)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Purchased two books at the bookshop at Brands over the weekend (during the Historic Superprix):-

'Nowhere to Hide' by Paul Lawrence (Story of Royale Racing cars - includes all chassis nos.) for £9.99 - there was at least one other copy there, and
'The Works MGs' by Mike Allison & Peter Browning (covers both pre-war and post-war achievements) for £8.99. Both excellent value, I'd say, although obviously I haven't read them yet!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1363754)   #47
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
too many to list...
Old 26 Jul 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1363839)   #48
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats cheating Collins...!

I haven't got/read all that many motorsport books...although Perry McCarthy's is great! Am currently reading The Prince and I, about Prince B. Bira, thats good too.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1371148)   #49
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I've just read The Piranha club and, I have to say, it was awful. I'm sure it's a great book, but it has far too many commas in it and is practically unreadable!
I don't think it's even that great a book. Apart from the one chapter about the Benetton/Schumacher deal, there's very little in there that you won't find in other books on F1; Collings garbles a lot of the history and (as I've said somewhere else) you get the impression of a kid jumping up and down outside the windows of the motorhomes trying to work out what's going on inside!

I wasn't impressed by his Jordan and JYS biographies either; his writing style is too jittery and sensationalist to appeal to me. The JYS book was particularly disappointing, Collings has no real feel for history. Unsurprisingly, both of them seem to have been remaindered pretty quickly!
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1371166)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed. The JYS book is horrid. As a rule, I avoid Collings books now.

He doesn't seem to gather any real inside info and his writing style is a debacle to say the least.