Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Aug 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1374380)   #1
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button in Dunlop British Touring Car Championship?

The Motors commentator mentioned today that there were efforts to get Button in a BTCC car before the end of the year........

.........with Arena having a spare Honda Type R, it would be a great way of Button rebuilding some of his tarnished reputation with fans.

(Unless contractural issues mean he has to drive a 1998 Williams Laguna, of course......)
Old 7 Aug 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1374395)   #2
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His fans still seem loyal, tarnished reputation?

I doubt this will happen though but it would be good to see.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1374402)   #3
nick_andrews
Rookie

nick_andrews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe in the third Integra that is being prepared?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1374411)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plenty of PR stunts being prepared huh? First Kidd, now Button.

Not sure he's got a lot of touring car experience - and didn't he fail his first driving test?

I guess TD don't have to worry about wrapping up the independant teams title anymore, still I'd rather see Howell in the third Integra, and expect the 2nd Arena Civic is far more likely where Button would be if he turned up at all.

Which reminds me, what's Alan Morrison up to?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1374451)   #5
John Winter
Racer

John Winter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Not sure he's got a lot of touring car experience - and didn't he fail his first driving test?
All good drivers fail their first driving test
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1374453)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
PR hype. More chance of me winning the lottery.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1374463)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IFhe has to sit out of F1 next year it COULD be a possibility.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1374471)   #8
John Winter
Racer

Well, if you look at it like that, everything could be a possibility In that case just as well could race in the Dutch Renault Clio Cup
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1374479)   #9
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well no I see where luke is coming from ..... I mean if honda wanted to keep him and he took a sebatical instead of coming back like another driver and doing crap honda might want to consider putting him in a Touring car or in the SuperGT with Ralph Firman, And I know Jenson is Big in Japan especially with the women
Old 7 Aug 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1374484)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Is his current contract with BAR or with Honda? If the contract dispute means he has to sit out F1 for a year it's likely to mean he has to site out ALL motorsport.

Honda don't have a factory supported team in the BTCC, or WTCC for that matter. Why would they want to place him with an independent team (TD or Arena), which would only highlight their lack of support?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1374488)   #11
John Winter
Racer

Isn't Honda running engines in IRL or champcar? Why would they stuck him in a racing car that has just half the speed of an F1 car. Although the chances that Button would not race F1 next year seem highly unlikely to me. I think this would just be a PR stunt, a bit like DTM pulled in the 90's.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1374491)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Winter
Isn't Honda running engines in IRL or champcar? Why would they stuck him in a racing car that has just half the speed of an F1 car. Although the chances that Button would not race F1 next year seem highly unlikely to me. I think this would just be a PR stunt, a bit like DTM pulled in the 90's.
Well Honda are in the IRL but I don't think he'd want to risk injury racing on an oval based series.

As Mike said, although it is very unlikely if he to take a sabatical from F1 next year then we could well see him in a touring car / GT series.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1374495)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if it was a GT series Super GT would be the best bet as i said because he is big in japan, they already have a briton (firman) and also the colour scheme for there car is red and white but looks strangely alike the Union Jack IMO. not that has anything to do with anything of course ..... but these are opions is jenson doesnt want to be in f1 next year but In honesty i think he does want to be In f1.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1374527)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like to see it, but it aint going to happen!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1374552)   #15
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it was sort of an alternative...if he is going to Williams, Honda thought...hmmm, well, we could put him in the BTCC or a quad-bike just before he leaves.

Makes more sense for an appearance in the WTCC with JAS really. Honda has more of a works tie-in now with them than Arena.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1374558)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've not really thought about it, but is he up for it?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1374562)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
I think he could be up for it .... it really depends how his williams saga plays out .....
Old 8 Aug 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1374571)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I've not really thought about it, but is he up for it?
It's a generalization, but F1 and open wheel drivers seem to adapt pretty well to touring cars. Think Schneider, Alesi, Hakkinnen, Kristiansen,etc...

Except for maybe Mansell??
Old 8 Aug 2005, 06:57 (Ref:1374668)   #19
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the final Silverstone and Brands rounds don't clash with F1........
Old 8 Aug 2005, 07:46 (Ref:1374695)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
It's a generalization, but F1 and open wheel drivers seem to adapt pretty well to touring cars. Think Schneider, Alesi, Hakkinnen, Kristiansen,etc...

They're all driving powerful rear wheel drive machines

Not a FWD car
Old 8 Aug 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1374713)   #21
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
aaa but K-b Any good driver can drive diffrent drive trains to the best of its capibillity, so it could be seen as a real test for Button...... BUT as I've said I dont think jenson wants to be anywhere next year apart from F1 ......
Old 8 Aug 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1374790)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He did the Spa 24 Hours in 1999 didn't he?

Alomg time ago, and surely a much better bet than Jodie Kidd. He'd need some testing though if he doesn't want to look like a ******.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1374845)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
DTM cars are more open wheel with a roof or sports car than a touring car.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1374891)   #24
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'd want money no doubt
Old 8 Aug 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1374978)   #25
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Which reminds me, what's Alan Morrison up to?
well i think the arena connection is still there - saw him in their pits chating to chilton at mondello