Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 12 Jun 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3089639)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2015 Moto GP...

Well, a few weeks ago Casey Stoner shocked everyone by announcing that he was done with Moto GP. This single act opened up silly season in full force. Well a huge piece has now fallen into place with Yamaha and Jorge Lorenzo announcing a new two-year deal for 2013 and 2014.

So, Valentino Rossi to Honda?

And what about Marc Marquez and the rookie rule? We currently have a daft rule that says only 4 prototype bikes per manufacturer (despite a pathetic grid). And if Marquez can't have a Repsol ride, then what might this mean for Gresini or LCR?

It also might be safe to say that Dani Pedrosa just saved his ride.

Ben Spies is looking mediocre at best with Andrea Dovizioso and Cal Crutchlow eyeing that spot. There was also a recent interview where Cal said he'd ride the Ducati. That would be interesting.

Lots going on now.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3089702)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dorna are looking at getting rod of the rookie rule, Iwonder why.

And people wonder why I dislike the people around MArques so much
Old 15 Jun 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3091406)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The whole series needs to be revamped - Moto 3 is good with 2 engine manufacturers, any chance Aprilia will join?
Moto 2 needs another engine & MotoGP is just lost - can it & make it all CRT with all diff bikes & engines & 30 entrants, start from there!
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3095176)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rookie rule waved, expect Marquez at Repsol.

Also probably expect an announcement that the factories have agreed to the rev limit rule.

Politics you know...
Old 20 Jun 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3095260)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor effort. I'm sure several teams and riders would have benefitted in the past from taking rookies. Totally disagree that an exception should be made, especially for this guy.

Was always a bad rule having said that.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3095277)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesnt surprise me at all.

Repsol pretty much own this championship and anyone linked to them gets special favours.

You watch soon there wiull be a minimum weight rule in Moto2 after he leaves aswell.

Pathetic realy and MNarc doesnt deserve this kind of thing, he is more than talented enough without Dorna bending over backwards to help him every step of the way.

Remember, he was avergae on a Honda 125 and for KTM, he has only been anything special on the best bikes, and we all know how Valentino has looked since he ride a donkey.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3095331)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think they are worried Jorge will dominate in 2013 & Dani cant beat him, best try Marquez? Whatever Dorna
Old 20 Jun 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3095371)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I cant see anyone really getting into Jorge until the likes of marquez and maybe Redding or Luthi, Pol get into GP? Maybe not even those guys, maybe we are looking for Vinales or a Fenati, apart from Marc, there is noone really with that winning aura about them at the moment.

Though I do feel Iannone and Redding might be well suited to a GO bike, my only concern ebing that both have spent a long time riding bikes at high lean angles and a GP bike needs a slightly different ridig style these dyas after the 800's have left and Bridgestone/IRTA have decided how the bikes are bign ridden by making tyres only a some teasm can use
Old 22 Jun 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3096393)   #9
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I cant see anyone really getting into Jorge until the likes of marquez and maybe Redding or Luthi, Pol get into GP? Maybe not even those guys, maybe we are looking for Vinales or a Fenati, apart from Marc, there is noone really with that winning aura about them at the moment.

Though I do feel Iannone and Redding might be well suited to a GO bike, my only concern ebing that both have spent a long time riding bikes at high lean angles and a GP bike needs a slightly different ridig style these dyas after the 800's have left and Bridgestone/IRTA have decided how the bikes are bign ridden by making tyres only a some teasm can use
Yeah Lorenzo is very well placed to dominate for years but it will be interesting to see how he deals without having a rival. Is he capable of dominating the sport in the manner of a Doohan when the competition is below his talent level? I'd imagine he is but if not he'll look elsewhere for his kicks.

I was writing earlier about the silly season and what could happen if Rossi leaves Ducati. I cant see why he'd stay there other than ego or money but if he goes it is the least attractive ride in the field. Crutchlow is being linked to it but he'd be much better served staying at Tech3/Yamaha.

Espargaro has been linked as well but his reputation is soaring so there's no need to risk a bad couple of years on a Ducati. What about Hector Barbera as a factory Ducati rider?

Sounds crazy I know but who would want the ride and Barbera has shown himself as a competitive prospect on the Pramac one....
Old 22 Jun 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3096491)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I have a feeling that Spies will ride for Tech3 again in a straight swop with Dovi, not sure about Tech3, if this ridiculous deal wioth Smith sticks then if I was Cal I would take the money and ride for Ducati, it will pay him a fortune!

As for Barbera, he is not the real deal, always struggles for race pace and is slower than the works guys despite often being quick in qualifying, he is basically the Spanish de Puniet and cant go quick on his own, he always follows.

He will obviously get the ride because he is Spanish however
Old 22 Jun 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3096496)   #11
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I have a feeling that Spies will ride for Tech3 again in a straight swop with Dovi, not sure about Tech3, if this ridiculous deal wioth Smith sticks then if I was Cal I would take the money and ride for Ducati, it will pay him a fortune!

As for Barbera, he is not the real deal, always struggles for race pace and is slower than the works guys despite often being quick in qualifying, he is basically the Spanish de Puniet and cant go quick on his own, he always follows.

He will obviously get the ride because he is Spanish however
Yeah that's how I see it panning out with Dovi and Spies as well there's no way Smith gets a Yamaha next year, if it comes to it you'd imagine that Yamaha will pay for that contract to be torn up rather than have one of their bikes go to an underperforming rider. Smith has showed promise in the past and is clearly quite fast but his problem has always been that once he's in a pack he cant overtake anyone. Put Cal and Ben together on the sat Yamaha and you've got four very talented and motivated riders on their four bikes.

In relation to Barbera I don't think for a second that he's a world beater but who in their right mind would take on the Ducati? Rossi's failure have only shown once again that the bike is a killer of reputations. Looks at RdP as a prime example. Two years ago he was a regular challenger for the frontrow and racing really well, a year on the Pramac and suddenly he can only get a CRT bike.

Ducati are going to be forced to look for a tier two rider or a youngster. They'll go hard after the likes of Espargaro but I just dont see why he'd view it as an acceptable risk to sign for the team. Someone like Barbera on the other hand would at least give Ducati someone that can ride with confidence. I don't think he's a factory calibre rider but Ducati are going to be hard pressed to get one next year
Old 24 Jun 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3097031)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any thoughts on Nicky next year? Honda wouldnt get him back would they?
So people think Dani is out at Honda or will partner Marquez? Rossi as a partner for Marquez? Could be a good teacher for the lad.

Anyone fancy doing a list?

ps Bradl impresses me, hes doing his normal quiet and efficient teutonic job.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3097071)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Bradl looked good early int eh eyar ut has dropped off a bit now.

I think the tyre situation will obviously affect him more than Repsol.

Such a shame this stuff and the Spanish domination of everything GP happens, I so wish someone else was running our sport sometimes, CRT is beginning to look pathetic, regardless of Ezpeleta;s best intentions, he loks a spoilt little man with lost of power trying to push through hsi own ideas, as these bikesa re a tota joke with joke riders most ofth time

In the wet they look reasonable, but the sameis true in any series
Old 24 Jun 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3097195)   #14
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Shame about dropping the rookie rule now (not that it made a great deal of sense in the first place), it takes all the fun out of the silly season. I don't see much interesting happening next year other than Lorenzo winning.

The ducati is a pig, but there'll always be half a dozen mid-tier riders who'll do it for cash and a contract. Although motomatters seems to think the Pramac team might give up with it.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3097301)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
When you consider that pramac won races on a Honda, you have to consider their position, they ahve been the worst team running factory bikes for years now and though Abraham runs them close, it cant be much fun, why not go superbike on a decent bike or Moto2.

For me the whole things is a shambles, eitehr run it all CRT or all factorya nd let GP run itself into the ground.

Having two classes is a bit of a joke and having mainly Italian and Spanish teams running most of the bike when both countries economies are in met down still further heaps joke status on the main class.

On its own CRT would work, but you try telling Yamaha and Honda who have invested tens of millions in GP and created the class really to run CRT,

You need someone with balls to go in there and say
No electronics
Control tyres
Standard ECU
Salary cap on riders
Must run two bikes per team
Rev limit

Run whatever frame, run any engine within the rules you make

How you can run prototype when only 3 manufacturers can afford it pathetic,

GET REAL you STUPID manufacturers, THERE IS NO MONEY LEFT
Old 27 Jun 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3099068)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Cal is saying he has an offer for a factory ride. Most are thinking it's from the boys in red.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3099077)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Here's my guess. And no, I'm clinging on for hope that Smith doesn't really get the Tech 3 ride. If he does, it will be a Tech 3 CRT.

Ducati
Crutchlow
Hayden

Honda
Marquez
Pedrosa

Yamaha
Lorenzo
Rossi

Gresini
Bautista

LCR
Bradl

Tech 3
Dovizioso
Spies
Old 27 Jun 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3099189)   #18
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Here's my guess. And no, I'm clinging on for hope that Smith doesn't really get the Tech 3 ride. If he does, it will be a Tech 3 CRT.
Yeah there's no chance of Smith getting a prototype next year, it would be a joke if he did considering his performances in Moto2. Im not the least bit surprised that Crutchlow is being linked to Ducati but he needs to ask himself if its worth losing the best bike in the field just to be able to say that he's a factory rider.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3099209)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Yeah there's no chance of Smith getting a prototype next year, it would be a joke if he did considering his performances in Moto2. Im not the least bit surprised that Crutchlow is being linked to Ducati but he needs to ask himself if its worth losing the best bike in the field just to be able to say that he's a factory rider.
Been a long time since a rider with a satelite bike won a race.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 07:30 (Ref:3099272)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would have no issue with Cal going to Ducati, I dont think it would necessairily harm him hugely if he was on Nickys pace he would show that he is doing about the same as Rossi, Melandri, Checa, Gibernau, Capirossi, and that isnt bad company.

PLus he would get a hefty pay cheque, and stil be likely to drop into WSB on a good bike if it all doesnt work out.

In my mind he has proved a lot this year, Smith is no way ready to move up amnd that whole deal stinks of a footblall type contract that is binding relative to no results or form.

I dont doubt thet Brad is talented but so far this year has proved very little and should really be a little embarassed about the whole deal really
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:29 (Ref:3099341)   #21
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
2013 will probably be another boring year until they get the regs right. Factory teams should have CRT bikes aswell - why ain't there no Honda/Yamaha engined CRT bikes?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3099432)   #22
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Been a long time since a rider with a satelite bike won a race.
Yeah but its been a long time since anyone looked like winning on a Ducati.....

Quote:
I would have no issue with Cal going to Ducati, I dont think it would necessairily harm him hugely if he was on Nickys pace he would show that he is doing about the same as Rossi, Melandri, Checa, Gibernau, Capirossi, and that isnt bad company.

PLus he would get a hefty pay cheque, and stil be likely to drop into WSB on a good bike if it all doesnt work out.

In my mind he has proved a lot this year, Smith is no way ready to move up amnd that whole deal stinks of a footblall type contract that is binding relative to no results or form.

I dont doubt thet Brad is talented but so far this year has proved very little and should really be a little embarassed about the whole deal really
Oh yeah there's loads of perfectly valid reasons to go to Ducati, and you've named them, but with the graveyard that Ducati has been for riders in the past it would be a risky move. The guys you named were all world champions and race winners but how many of them would view the move to Ducati (in the 800 era not Capirex in 03) as a positive move that didn't effectively end their premier class careers?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3099439)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
You are right with one exception, the world champion, I think bike racers have gigantic ego's, and none of nthe really think they cant get on a bike and make it go fast! Cal will be no exception, he has done enough this year to justifry a palce after Ducati if he needs to.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3099444)   #24
frostie
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
Quote:
You are right with one exception, the world champion, I think bike racers have gigantic ego's, and none of nthe really think they cant get on a bike and make it go fast! Cal will be no exception, he has done enough this year to justifry a palce after Ducati if he needs to.
Casey is clearly the exception that proves the rule but in a sample size of which we've seen since 2007 no other rider has improved their standing to any real extent. I think Cal could do well on the Ducati, he's been really impressive this year and made a lot of people, including me, change my view on him.

On the other hand though he has to look at the fates of other talented riders on the bike and weigh up whether he thinks he can succeed where they failed.

Here's the list of Ducati riders since 2007. It's a pretty long list of race winners from the smaller GP classes or World Superbikes but for many of them Ducati was the end of their reputation as a potential MotoGP rider.

Im not saying that its impossible for Cal to succeed on the bike just that he needs to be wary.

Valentino Rossi
Nicky Hayden
Hector Barbera
Karel Abraham
Randy de Puniet
Casey Stoner
Carlos Checa
Mika Kallio
Niccolo Canepa
Sete Gibernau
Aleix Espargaro
Michel Fabrizio
Toni Elias
Sylvain Guintoli
Marco Melandri
Loris Capirossi
Alex Barros
Alex Hoffmann
Shinichi Itoh
Chaz Davies
Ivan Silva
Old 28 Jun 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3099471)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Not sure to be honest, but LCR is a bit like Ducati, riders don't really seem to go well there. RdP had some moments, but that's about it really. Stoner had trouble there if you recall, and said that the team didn't have faith in his requests or insight. Elias, while not a great example, also said the team more or less said this is how the bike will be set up, now get on with it. Not exactly an inspiring environment for a rider.