Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Dec 2016, 07:03 (Ref:3696031)   #101
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Video from this morning's Toyota Launch, via Colin Clark. https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrall...0596225436377/

We knew it anyway, but confirmation of Juho Hanninen and Jari-Matti Latvala as the 2 lead drivers on every round, with Esapekka Lappi as 'test driver'.

Also, the final livery and aero design. You can see that the road-going Yaris will also receive another facelift too, judging from the WRC design.
Road going Yaris will be a whole new car next year, not just face lift.

I like it, here are some nice pictures:

Old 14 Dec 2016, 07:53 (Ref:3696040)   #102
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Same sponsor as the Porsche WEC team, that interesting.

And who knew Microsoft eh, that's a huge coup!!!

I dislike the stupid DTM slats and stuff on the rear end, just look silly
Old 14 Dec 2016, 10:36 (Ref:3696087)   #103
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Those wings are ridiculous!

I suspect there is going to be a lot of carbon fibre left behind in stages next year - I assume that diffuser is tarmac spec only? I can't see that surviving long (or working as intended for long) in a rough gravel stage.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 11:25 (Ref:3696094)   #104
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they will still probably use it Bert, it will be homologated I guess, just with those insane Riegers it probably uses the ride height will be about a foot higher with a foot of suspension travel!

It probably has a benefit on gravel too you see
Old 14 Dec 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3696111)   #105
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think they will still probably use it Bert, it will be homologated I guess, just with those insane Riegers it probably uses the ride height will be about a foot higher with a foot of suspension travel!

It probably has a benefit on gravel too you see
I'm just not sure how much of a benefit it'll be with half a ton of mud stuck to it or large chunks of it flapping about after battering it with rocks? If it's bent or has bits missing then surely it could have a negative effect rather than positive? Still - I'm sure they know more about it than me!
Old 14 Dec 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3696113)   #106
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think on normal dry gravel the rear diffuser will be a help, it will help pull air under the car and suck the car down at speed, and probably help with jumps.

IMagine Finland, so much if that is high speed 100+mph, surely it will be an aid there.

Agreed, in Greece perhaps not, but that event is about reliability and parts lifing.

I still think even in Wales or Sardinia or Poland its worth having it. Combined with some decent front aero and a clever sumpguard design, it could be a big benefit.

Though not in the same terms as a circuit car.

They are all looking like they are trying to exploit the aeros, so there must be something in it, same as MotoGP
Old 14 Dec 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3696197)   #107
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as the new regulations: I welcome the upgraded power and rev band, but the cars have become to wide and to much aero
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:13 (Ref:3696242)   #108
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Mikkelsen, Ostberg and Evans are still without a team. Let's hope that Tanak hires any of them.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:57 (Ref:3696252)   #109
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
I think Seb rarely had to dig really deep in the past, he was obviously trying hard on stage but he didn't seem to be on the absolute rugged edge. The few times that in my view he seemed to be on the edge, he looked spectacular. If the Ford is a little bit behind the pace and he has to dig deep, we'll be in for some good action!

I wonder if we'll start re-evaluating him if he wins championships with a different manufacturer, will he supercede the other Seb in the reputation stakes?

On a different note, does anyone know why Ott has parted company with Raigo?

There's also this:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/decem...8--12-12-.html

Some might say live stage rallying doesn't work and never has - unless you have a considerable number of cameras in the air and on the ground and a creative or imaginative director.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 06:25 (Ref:3696324)   #110
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raigo apparently told Tänak in mid-season that he wouldn't continue after the season because of personal reasons.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3696354)   #111
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If Ogier wins the title in 2017 he immediately for me goes ahead of Loeb in terms of achievement.

Winning a title in another type of car for me is one of the most important stamps on a champion. Loeb stayed safe his entire career, he could have moved to Ford, they had good backing then and would surely have paid.

Ogier's decision has been forced and he is still perhaps a VW driver in terms of how he is paid, but if he wins first time out, that is a great achievement.

Only slightly dulled by the fact that VW have gone, beating them in a Ford would have pushed him to Makinen, Sainz, God status!!!
Old 15 Dec 2016, 09:48 (Ref:3696358)   #112
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely in agreement with the above: if Ogier can claim the title with Ford, then it will elevate him above Loeb in my books.

I must confess that I'm rather torn with who to cheer for next year: I want to see Meeke take the title, but I'd also really like to see Ford succeed!
Old 15 Dec 2016, 10:04 (Ref:3696361)   #113
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
There's also this:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/decem...8--12-12-.html

Some might say live stage rallying doesn't work and never has - unless you have a considerable number of cameras in the air and on the ground and a creative or imaginative director.
It depends - it always worked quite well on the short 'spectator stages' on the old RAC rally (stages like Chatsworth etc.). If it's a short stage with plenty of interesting bits - jumps, water splashes, hairpins etc then it works well as the cars a coming through thick and fast. On longer stages it's harder to keep the same level of tv friendly excitement.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3696372)   #114
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
What needs to Be done for a tv stage is kind of a decent length superspecial.

I recall a forest type stage on the Netty Q a few years ago that was actually quite decent.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3696386)   #115
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Absolutely in agreement with the above: if Ogier can claim the title with Ford, then it will elevate him above Loeb in my books.

I must confess that I'm rather torn with who to cheer for next year: I want to see Meeke take the title, but I'd also really like to see Ford succeed!
Loeb and Ogier are two phenomenal wrc drivers and I rate them on a equal level

For the Loeb side, i remember the fantastic 2006 season where he won with an ex works Xsara against the new Focus driven by the master Gronholm and the young Hirvonen. Loeb had an injury but he succeded by 1 point even if he lost the final 4 rounds of that championship
Subaru also was there, but the new Impreza was so uncompetitive
Old 15 Dec 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3696393)   #116
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It wasn't an ex works Xsara, it was a full works one, just run by a private team, but with Citroen mechanics and testing!

His years of dominance pale into a blur of non interest for me.

The guy is a legend and possibly the greatest ever, but for those of us that remember, he simply had little opposition in terms of cars or drivers. Marcus was the only one really to get close.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3696395)   #117
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The guy is a legend and possibly the greatest ever, but for those of us that remember, he simply had little opposition in terms of cars or drivers. Marcus was the only one really to get close.
Agreed: the brilliance of Loeb is difficult to gauge as he didn't face consistent competition, especially in the latter years.

It was such a shame that Loeb didn't run the full 2013 season, as we would have got to see how he measured up against Ogier in the VW.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3696408)   #118
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Another sad aspect to all this is that Loeb effectively ousted Ogier from the Citroen team. He was often quicker than Loeb, especially on gravel and was put into the junior team with Raikkonen I recall. Perhaps not quite such good kit. Was certainly much quicker than Sordo.

I do think though that Ogier had already been tapped up by VW and knew what was coming so was not unduly concerned.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3696414)   #119
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It wasn't an ex works Xsara, it was a full works one, just run by a private team, but with Citroen mechanics and testing!

His years of dominance pale into a blur of non interest for me.

Yes but the Xsara was the same of the year before or am I wrong?

I agree on the fact that there was only a small opposition in terms of drivers and manufacturers. Surely Loeb had an easy life to win 9 titles with all this factors and i think that in long distance he would be beaten by the Ogier-VW duo. But Ogier-VW also what opposition had? The Hyundai only this year show to be a real contender in the new i20, the DS3 after the 2013 stopped a bit the development of the DS3 and the M-Sport team had not the investiment who did the VW guys...

The 2017 season will be great but if Ogier win the title, i won't be so surprised. However the margin in the final standings will be not so high as in these past seasons with the VW
Old 15 Dec 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3696425)   #120
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The Xsara was hardly a massive leap every year it competed, they never needed to, nor with the C4.

I am sure there were improvements, like the engine blip when the handbrake was engaged. And lots of other small things.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 00:12 (Ref:3696552)   #121
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Raigo apparently told Tänak in mid-season that he wouldn't continue after the season because of personal reasons.
Thanks for that bit of info.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3696554)   #122
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:

Only slightly dulled by the fact that VW have gone, beating them in a Ford would have pushed him to Makinen, Sainz, God status!!!
That wudda been something!
Old 16 Dec 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3696718)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If Ogier wins the title in 2017 he immediately for me goes ahead of Loeb in terms of achievement.

Winning a title in another type of car for me is one of the most important stamps on a champion. Loeb stayed safe his entire career, he could have moved to Ford, they had good backing then and would surely have paid.

Ogier's decision has been forced and he is still perhaps a VW driver in terms of how he is paid, but if he wins first time out, that is a great achievement.

I agree with you on Loeb, I think he should have done a Rossi and switched to a different team and prove he can win in different cars
Old 16 Dec 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3696727)   #124
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how the cars will stack up against each other. Wilson said that the new Fiesta was the best M-Sport build ever and he thought that they would be the team to beat.

I'm feeling doubtful though since I personally believe the Citroen will be the best car in the field, which would make Ogier winning the championship a very big achievement.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3697311)   #125
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree with you on Loeb, I think he should have done a Rossi and switched to a different team and prove he can win in different cars
Well he's done something different and switched disciplines - not many actually do that in modern day motorsport.