Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 5 Jun 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2891463)   #1
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Please sign this petition

This isn't just a threat to stock car racing it affects all motorsport events in London!

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...n-stadium.html
Old 5 Jun 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2891514)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a very narrowly based appeal and it is difficult to support on those grounds alone. London has major pollution issues to address and getting rid of older vehicles seems an obvious first step. On balance I think it is a reasonable one. So while I support people who want to enjoy their activities, I don't think that I can support the petition.

Regards

Jim Whitaker
Old 5 Jun 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2891533)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
instead of scruffy old ex-breakdown wagons or flatbeds with HIABs why cannot competitors use a modern towcar and trailer?
Is this legislation perceived as a problem for the Crystal Palace Sprint also?
Old 5 Jun 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2891545)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes it's a great shame but I can't see the "powers that be" making an exception just for this one venue.
As for "not racing for profit" don't forget that only a "very" few people do and most clubbie events on average (when everything is taken into account) probably cost 1K or more for the "normal" weekend warrior.
This has been on the cards for a while and it was only a matter of time before the axe fell.
I started my racing on the ovals and it was a good way to learn car and race control on the cheap as we actually used to get paid and the race entries were free (something the larger circuits don't want to know about) OK I know pro rata that the oval circuits attract more spectators and don't have the expense of running a large circuit and facilities.
I remember a petition to save the old Cross in Hand track that fell on deaf ears all those years ago but obviously that was a different kettle of fish to Wimbledon now.
Although a petition is the only thing that can be done I'm afraid the decision has already been made.
It would probably be different if some of the MPs raced the ovals
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jun 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2891563)   #5
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
instead of scruffy old ex-breakdown wagons or flatbeds with HIABs why cannot competitors use a modern towcar and trailer?
It's not just that kind of vehicle that goes to Wimbledon,there are a lot of expensive purpose built motorhomes and transporters that are used for oval racing.

Quote:
Yes,my own transporter and Rod Birleys' service van for example.
Not everyone can afford a modern (post 2002/3)tow-car/vehicle!
Old 5 Jun 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2891581)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You aren't going to do anything about it, there's been petitions and lobbying for the past 6 or more years from people like the caravan club regarding motorhomes and small camper vans that are affected.
The people you need to be lobbying are at the EU in Brussels as they make the rules about air quality and parties of both political persuasions try and meet them best they can. Apart from that, both Boris and Ken hate cars and trucks so you are banging your head against a very hard brick wall with them.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2891627)   #7
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dear Cooperbottom, as I began my early life being involved in speedway, and indeed being one of the founders of "Bring Speedway Back To Birmingham", I fully understand the need to at least "Have A Go" at getting them to change their minds.
It will be a difficult fight, but my best wishes go to all of you.
ps We did get "The Brummies" up and running again, against tough opposition.
pps Great pity about Wimbledon "Dons" not racing.
Gerry.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2891732)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You're talking about two different genres here David.

Wimbledon is about Stock Cars, HotRods, and Bangers. Chips cheeseburgers and hotdogs.

Crystal Palace is about heritage, "up-market" motorsport. Cornish Pasties, Lasagne, Baked Potatoes.

One uses whatever they can afford to get them there, and attracts thousands to come and watch. The other spends thousands (and more) and nobody comes to watch.

If Wimbledon is allowed to die because of tree-hugger legislation (which is based on poor interpretation of misleading "facts"), then the sport, overall, is doomed.

Air quality in the city has been improved dramatically since the LEZ and the CCZ were put into place. This exemption would make very little difference to that.

Perhaps the City of London could offer grants to StockCar racers to buy new "cleaner" transporters. They waste money on many other projects.

We, and I include me (who doesn't like 1/4mile ovals), need this petition.

My friends, colleagues, and fellow racing drivers, please support this by the simple act of "signing" it.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2891812)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
are you really suggesting that class dictates whether laws should be obeyed or not?
Old 6 Jun 2011, 06:03 (Ref:2891891)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Change tow vehicle and trailer? With even a ratty old 4 wheel trailer like I sold costing a season's entry fees, I can't see that being a solution.

I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance of this petition succeeding, I reckon all motor sport is living on borrowed time anyway. However, I have a lot of customers in the oval racing world so out of naked self interest I will be signing it and advertising my signature.

These things tend to be what Yes Minister called salami tactics. Today the LEZ, tomorrow the M25 "because it's adversely affecting the capital", then Bristol, Reading, Swindon have LEZs and pretty much the whole of the M4 corridor is closed to older vehicles. Then they start on petrol cars, classic cars, anything that doesn't pass "tough clean air legislation to enhance your children's quality of life". We won't be able to stop it, but at least I'll know I've made a small stand.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2891906)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just buy a 4WD with a big petrol engine in it (Cheap as Chips as no one wants them) and convert to gas or like I have done and do the same with an old Chevy Dayvan. I want to breath clean air and my shop is just half a mile in the zone on a main road and I welcome it. The class argument is rubbish because one of the hardest effected are owners of horse boxes that dont comply. These old vehicles are generally in immaculate condition with low miles and are expensive coach built vehicles but they will still be effected. And wha about the small builder and tradesman? Chap in my shop the otherday is two years off retirement and has had to shell out for a new van something he definitely didnt want, good news is I will get to signwrite it lol! You won't change this its without exceptions the coach company next door to me are spending fortunes to comply, some will simply go under.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2891930)   #12
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
Crystal Palace is about heritage, "up-market" motorsport. Cornish Pasties, Lasagne, Baked Potatoes.

One uses whatever they can afford to get them there, and attracts thousands to come and watch. The other spends thousands (and more) and nobody comes to watch.
Firstly, if that's your idea of "up-market" food, then you have a lot to learn!

Also, surely if you are getting these thousands of supporters, surely some of the profit made by the stadium could go back into subsidising the congestion charge? There must be options other than moaning and petitioning.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 07:48 (Ref:2891931)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Short of thousands of people laying down in the road for weeks I really don't think a petition will make any difference whatsoever.
This may be an apathetic view but if people won't get behind fuel increase marches and blockades(that affect everybody) then I don't think that a cause for Wimbledon Stadium will be very high on the radar !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jun 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2892143)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

Also, surely if you are getting these thousands of supporters, surely some of the profit made by the stadium could go back into subsidising the congestion charge? There must be options other than moaning and petitioning.
Jack its a £300 fine per time not a congestion charge so that would be impractical. Look all these guys have mechanical aptitude they will have to work round it, its as simple as that, get a big petrol Winnibago put that on gas and you wont even have to pay the congestion charge let alone the £300 fine. We all have to adabt to changes I am afraid its just one of those things. If you have ever stood in London and seen an old black cab or bus blasting out crap out the exhaust and watched the fine buildings and statues turning black with the filth I think you would agree its worth it.I remember the peasoupers back in the 50's and 60's when the fog and smog was so bad you could hardly see your hand infront of your face all stopped by banning coal fires and this is just a natural progression of that. OK I am racing a V8 but its generally well away from any towns, usually a good wind and all over in 15 minutes and I tow and use as daily transport gas powered vehicles with virtually zero carbon output. I would even be prepared to convert my race cars to gas if it meant I could continue to use them. Also what about the poor little kids in some of the inner city areas suffering from Asthma and broncol (sorry spelling, mind blockage must be the fumes!) conditions are they not more important?

Last edited by Al Weyman; 6 Jun 2011 at 13:23.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2894705)   #15
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

Perhaps the analogy of food was a poor one, I should have compared greasy baseball caps with tweed caps. Nothing to do with class. Gutter scum can have millions in the bank, and real gentlemen can be penniless.

Al - for the LEZ (which is the issue here, not the congestion charge), my Fleetwood with it's small 454ci engine can come through happily at no charge. It's the diesel engined commercial vehicles that are pre-Euro3 (and it'll soon be updated to be pre-Euro4!). They're the ones getting stung.

I agree, the petition will most likely have no chance of success, but we are all entitled to have a freedom of speech and expression. If you do not speak, then nobody will hear you.