Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1610503)   #1
daniel1985
Rookie

daniel1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boring Barcelona

Does anything entertaining ever happen at this race track.
The teams are so familar with the track and there is never any overtaking at Barcelona.
I think the Spanish GP should be changed to Jerez or Valencia.
or
Change turn 1 at the end of the very long pit straight into a hairpin somehow. Surely this would allow overtaking on this very boring circuit.
Old 15 May 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1610563)   #2
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the race was better than Nuremberg....
Ralf Schum... attempting that move on his team mate was the best laugh I've had in ages....

That said,
Imola, Barcelona and Monoco should all be scrapped.
Monoco is just an excuse for the extremley rich to show off and they have 22 drivers to entertain them by going round and round in procession whilst they smoke cigars, drink champeigne and eat caviar.....

Not that I'm jealous or anything ;-)
Old 15 May 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1610585)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is being discussed here : http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83051

But I remember that Barcelona had very exciting races in the past...
Old 15 May 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1610592)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was but I was still locked into the MS / Alonso battle. It may **** off the teams but why not get Tilke to re design the circuit and make it more exciting a layout and why not build more grandstands whilst he's at it?
Old 15 May 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1610600)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
luke, you have a talent to bring on the worst in the threads...
Old 15 May 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1610647)   #6
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
But I remember that Barcelona had very exciting races in the past...
You're either very old, Spanish or confusing F1 with Motor bike racing ....
Old 15 May 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1610650)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 15 May 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1610702)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hasn't Tilke 'enhanced' enough tracks now?

The big cause for dull racing here is probably the serious need for aerodynamic grip. This makes overtaking harder, makes the grid more 'Noah's Ark' (the cars in 2 by 2 sequence on the starting grid), and tempts the teams into testing there so much, which in turn means that they all know the circuit inside out, so there are few driving errors or setup mistakes.
Old 16 May 2006, 04:24 (Ref:1611157)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I agree the races are often rather dull at Barcelona, but not always, but personally I want things regarding it left exactly as they are (as well as the time of year it is held).

It serves as an excellent guage, late enough for teams/drivers to be settled but early enough for most of the season to be left, of the relative performances of the teams. It lets us know in a very clear fashion where everyone is at: personally, I find that a very handy thing.

Thus, I always look forward to Barcelona: but I certainly don't expect a cracking race.
Old 16 May 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1611273)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
It lets us know in a very clear fashion where everyone is at: personally, I find that a very handy thing.
Everyone else is a second a lap behind Ferrari and Renault,we didn't really need a demonstration of that in Spain.Knowing where everyone is might provide a talking point for members of ten/tenths,but certainly not for casual fans on whom our continued viewing of this sport relies.
Old 16 May 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1611304)   #11
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
[quote=Dutton]
It serves as an excellent guage, late enough for teams/drivers to be settled but early enough for most of the season to be left, of the relative performances of the teams. It lets us know in a very clear fashion where everyone is at: personally, I find that a very handy thing.
quote]

So maybe KR is right and the games over give Renault the cup...
Old 16 May 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1611362)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Barcelona didn't really prove or disprove anything, apart from emphasizing just how much McLaren are struggling.
Old 16 May 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1611372)   #13
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Race Was Ok....
Could, have been worse, Monaco should be a good one
Old 16 May 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1611373)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always thought Imola is a good indication of what the pecking order is considering the cars generally line up two-by-two on the grid.

I know we all hate people tinkering with tracks, but Barcelona is hardly steeped in history and could really do with an extra large braking zone or two.
Old 16 May 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1611517)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman
You're either :

very old,
It depends what do you think of "very old". For my 12 year old daughter, a guy with 25 years old is "very old".
But I don't want to make you use too much your brain, so I've been following F1 for 35 years, if it means anything...

Quote:
Spanish
I'm not, but for the good of the forum, I will not take this as an offense towards the spanish members of the forum. But I remember you that most teams in F1 take it like a second (if not first) home, so I guess they have a point.

Quote:
or confusing F1 with Motor bike racing ....
Maybe you are confusing this forum with something else...

But you forgot the main reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman (with a little help)
Or maybe you enjoy watching F1, unlike some members that come here only to whine about it.
Thanks.

Last edited by Bononi; 16 May 2006 at 13:26.
Old 16 May 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1611563)   #16
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel1985
Change turn 1 at the end of the very long pit straight into a hairpin somehow. Surely this would allow overtaking on this very boring circuit.
Changing the final corner would be better - if it was slower they'd be a better chance of a good run out of it, and into the straight.
Old 16 May 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1611573)   #17
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Everyone else is a second a lap behind Ferrari and Renault,we didn't really need a demonstration of that in Spain.Knowing where everyone is might provide a talking point for members of ten/tenths,but certainly not for casual fans on whom our continued viewing of this sport relies.

You gotta admit it was only 2 races ago when people said Ferrari is not gonna win anything, shumi is getting too old etc. Funny how moods can swing in a 2 race timespan.
Old 16 May 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1611591)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The tracks aren't the problem, its the cars.

Change the cars, not the tracks.
Old 16 May 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1611694)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoValente
You gotta admit it was only 2 races ago when people said Ferrari is not gonna win anything, shumi is getting too old etc. Funny how moods can swing in a 2 race timespan.
Sure,Ferrari got off to a slow start because of reliability niggles,but the car was always fast.Unlike Mclaren and co.
Old 16 May 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1611707)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, so it was (relatively?) boring! Is that why we haven't had a driver of the day poll?
Old 16 May 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1611710)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

Not really... it is a bit of both.... i mean tracks like SPA and Monaco produce great races even in the dullest of seasons because they have certain characteristics that others dont.
Old 16 May 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1611731)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
OK, so it was (relatively?) boring! Is that why we haven't had a driver of the day poll?
My driver of the day was Ralf.But no one in particular stood out.Sato's 360 was quite good.

Last edited by Marbot; 16 May 2006 at 18:46.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1611773)   #23
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

Yeah we don't need any more tracks ruined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16 May 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1611779)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Must admit I had forgotten about that! But lets face it, there was only one guy out there wasn't there?
Old 16 May 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1611790)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I agree that it lacked the sort of dramatic incident that makes you jump out of your seat, but surely I can't be the only person on here to enjoy seeing the perfect combination of man and machine, as displayed by the phenomenal Alonso behind the wheel of his Renault.