Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jul 2006, 07:23 (Ref:1660556)   #51
RayF
Rookie

RayF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Good point, Speedweek commentary does appeal to yobboes and boofheads.
Ouch!
Old 20 Jul 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1660561)   #52
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it does! I know some boofheads and yobboes and they think the commentary on Speedweek is great!
Old 20 Jul 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1660584)   #53
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with David on the Speedweek commentary....having said that, it is very hard to make post-produced commentary sound any good at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmav
Remember Garry Wilmington, from Channel 7?

He's now commentating Dressage.
I would rather him than Red Hot GO Brocky.
You mean Garry Wilkinson. He pops up on Sky News abit these days as well. He parted company with Channel 7 circa-2003, but 7 do still use him for the occasional sporting gig (the olympics and so on).

Who will 7 have roving the pits?
Anyone remember some of their young pit reporters who disappeared into obscurity, the likes of Colin Young, and John Brady (Noel's son i presume?), they both weren't too bad.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1660607)   #54
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i heard that the v8's, neil crompton and greg rust come as a package deal. i got nothing against rusty, but ****-for-brains crompton...
Old 20 Jul 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1660620)   #55
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan Moffat, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo
Old 20 Jul 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1660623)   #56
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is the perfect channel 7 line up.

Matthew White - Host
Neil Crompton - Race Commentary
Brad Jones - Race Commentary
Grant Denyer - Pits

I think these four people would satisfy the majority of the people that watch the V8's..

Bill Woods and Greg Rust wont leave 10.

Darryl Beattie loves the bikes too much.

You'll find Diffey and Rust will cover the Champ Cars, with Beattie and Rust covering the bikes on 10.

Diffey and Woods will cover the F1 on 10.

Channel 7 need to pull out the serious dollars and get Crompton to commentate the v8 supercars... Its almost got to the point where he is the 'voice' of V8 supercars..
Old 20 Jul 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1660630)   #57
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeh that sounds pretty good...

but is brad jones retiring? i agree he knows his stuff, but unless 7 is planning to have a driver commentating while driving like those useless old interviews they had, they're stuffed. i think with grant denyer racing in the development series he won't have to put off racing to host any stupid show on sunday nights. at rounds where he's not racing he could do well in the pits but i think it's be a bit full on for him to race then grab a mic and run laps around pit lane.

i think matty white should go back to commentating, he was funn to listen to on 10. that leaves you without a pit reporter, or a main host.

and hell, just to toss the idea in the air, how about daryll eastlake?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Jul 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1660634)   #58
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darryl Eastlake !! no way

id much rather see Naomi Robson :P
Old 20 Jul 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1660697)   #59
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I'm with David on the Speedweek commentary....having said that, it is very hard to make post-produced commentary sound any good at all.
Agreed, I don't mind Wade Aunger at all, Will Hagon isn't bad either, I listen to him on ABC radio sometimes (Thurs nights I beleive)

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1661008)   #60
RayF
Rookie

RayF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr69
Agreed, I don't mind Wade Aunger at all, Will Hagon isn't bad either, I listen to him on ABC radio sometimes (Thurs nights I beleive)
Its good to know that yobbos and boofheads are not interested in V8s.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:45 (Ref:1661018)   #61
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
Matthew White - Host
Neil Crompton - Race Commentary
Brad Jones - Race Commentary
Grant Denyer - Pits
One thing that has always puzzled me is why the commentators can't host the programs.....?

One from left-field, how about David Tapp?
Old 21 Jul 2006, 05:33 (Ref:1661205)   #62
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
PPPLLLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE let it be Neil Crompton!!!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:00 (Ref:1661215)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Moffat a lot, but he was a terrible commentator!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:19 (Ref:1661222)   #64
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I like Moffat a lot, but he was a terrible commentator!
No I could live with Moffat I like his tell like it is style...Denyer is the one that will yurk me....no one can be that happy all the time can they.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1661225)   #65
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
No I could live with Moffat I like his tell like it is style...Denyer is the one that will yurk me....no one can be that happy all the time can they.
Crompton would be nice, but it's not very likely that Channel Ten would let him go when they still have plenty of other motorsport commitments.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1661228)   #66
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, and seeing as Grant Denyer is now a major network star at Seven, the network won't want him anywhere near the pits. Commentator or host only. Pit reporter is a junior role, and good on Grant for having moved well beyond that.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 07:24 (Ref:1661245)   #67
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaifeHRT
PPPLLLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE let it be Neil Crompton!!!
gee what you been smoking mate, i want some...

Quote:
One thing that has always puzzled me is why the commentators can't host the programs.....?
good point mate, billy woods had a significant role as a commentator/host, but now he's most likely replacing ron wilson at the news desk. i think someone asked about that eariler, so yeah. if you go back to the days that 7 had the v8s you'd remember that mie raymond was usually the host and commentator..

and besides, it's happened with heaps of other sports, so why not v8s these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Oh, and seeing as Grant Denyer is now a major network star at Seven, the network won't want him anywhere near the pits. Commentator or host only. Pit reporter is a junior role, and good on Grant for having moved well beyond that.
true, he might be a good idea as the host of a motorsport show (RPM moving to 7? we'll see)
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 21 Jul 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1661348)   #68
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a national perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
gee what you been smoking mate, i want some...

good point mate, billy woods had a significant role as a commentator/host, but now he's most likely replacing ron wilson at the news desk. i think someone asked about that eariler, so yeah. if you go back to the days that 7 had the v8s you'd remember that mie raymond was usually the host and commentator..

and besides, it's happened with heaps of other sports, so why not v8s these days?

true, he might be a good idea as the host of a motorsport show (RPM moving to 7? we'll see)

Chattererer,
Ignorant as I am, who is Ron Wilson, obviuosly a name in your back yard ?
Old 21 Jul 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1661362)   #69
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dunno about Crompton, he alienates me with his.."I was speaking to Mark Webber after qualifying..." routine. Bless his heart, I loved and took for granted Barry Sheene's.."Well, I was talkin' to Mick this mornin'.."
I guess I believe someone who's been there and done it easier than someone who's tried but couldn't...
That's why I wonder if 7 may be searching for an insider...??
Old 21 Jul 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1661478)   #70
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayF
You have to understand the target audience on Speedweek, and the motor racing needs to be entertaining for them. Aunger, Prendergast, and Boyden are pros at that, but they can pitch the level up to even the motor sport snobs (and isn't that most of us?).
I've never liked Wade Aunger's commentary, and I've always thought Grant Boyden was the pick of a bad bunch on Speedweek, but today at QR, Boyden was assisting Barrie Oliver with trackside commentary and i think he did very well. He was concise, objective, articulate and informative. Well done.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1661497)   #71
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I've never liked Wade Aunger's commentary, and I've always thought Grant Boyden was the pick of a bad bunch on Speedweek, but today at QR, Boyden was assisting Barrie Oliver with trackside commentary and i think he did very well. He was concise, objective, articulate and informative. Well done.
Definately agree with that.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1661566)   #72
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayF
So how do you pronounce Pergot, Peurgoet, Puor,... Oh well you know what I mean!
Mate get it right, you know its "Pyoojo".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport
I dunno about Crompton, he alienates me with his.."I was speaking to Mark Webber after qualifying..." routine. Bless his heart, I loved and took for granted Barry Sheene's.."Well, I was talkin' to Mick this mornin'.."
I guess I believe someone who's been there and done it easier than someone who's tried but couldn't...
That's why I wonder if 7 may be searching for an insider...??
Couldn't what? Win multiple championships and Bathursts? What do you want? He knows exactly what he's talking about, injects excitement, interest and is very articulate. Thats what a commentator is meant to be. How many blokes have you heard manage to talk about technical things while keeping everyone interested and then make the intro with 5 or more sound bytes of his excitement? (By the way has anyone else noticed he hasn't been that excited lately? Where are the "How close was that?!" and "Unbelievable!" 's these days... Maybe its his silent protest against reverse grids)

I know what you're saying though - but Diffey is the worst in that particular regard (among so many others). How many times have you heard him say "I was having a candid chat with Lowndes yesterday and you know what he said to me? he said... blah blah blah". Always something about being a new man or more focussed or whatever. No one cares!

We're spoilt with Crompton commentating, I think.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1662005)   #73
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Is 'Neils on Wheels' considered the "voice of the series" because he really knows what he's on about, or rather because he has just been hanging around the series for so long (he's been commentating on the championship on-and-off since 1983 remember).......

Can Channel 7 please re-hire Kerry Luckins to do the pitwork?
Old 22 Jul 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1662160)   #74
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Chattererer,
Ignorant as I am, who is Ron Wilson, obviuosly a name in your back yard ?
If by "back yard" you mean "sydney news anchor" then um... Yeah go figure lol.

Quote:
Is 'Neils on Wheels' considered the "voice of the series" because he really knows what he's on about, or rather because he has just been hanging around the series for so long (he's been commentating on the championship on-and-off since 1983 remember).......
I totally agree with that... He knows what he's talking about, but he is so up himself...

I'll tell you a story about Neil Crompton. Back when I was a little guy, our family used to make regular visits to Amaroo Park, 'cause my dad was a fire marshal. One day Bap Romano, Paul's father, crashed while racing what I think was a Sports Sedan. Put simply, he was trapped in the car. So imagine: You've got marshals crowding around the car, checking for any chance of fire, talking to Romano, making sure he's OK, and the like. It's a pretty tense scene, because someone's trapped (duh), and who turns up? ****-For-Brains Crompton coming as a complete set with camera crew and microphone. What does he do? He tries to shove a microphone into the car, to get an interview. Well done. Round of applause please. So what does my dad do? The only logical thing. He pulls him out pf the way, yells at him and says he'll "cut his ****ing cord if you don't **** off".

Don't think it got on TV though...
Old 24 Jul 2006, 00:02 (Ref:1663030)   #75
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Back when I was a little guy, our family used to make regular visits to Amaroo Park, 'cause my dad was a fire marshal. One day Bap Romano, Paul's father, crashed while racing what I think was a Sports Sedan. Put simply, he was trapped in the car. So imagine: You've got marshals crowding around the car, checking for any chance of fire, talking to Romano, making sure he's OK, and the like. It's a pretty tense scene, because someone's trapped (duh), and who turns up? ****-For-Brains Crompton coming as a complete set with camera crew and microphone. What does he do? He tries to shove a microphone into the car, to get an interview. Well done. Round of applause please. So what does my dad do? The only logical thing. He pulls him out pf the way, yells at him and says he'll "cut his ****ing cord if you don't **** off".
Damn him to hell I say!!!