Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Mar 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3049857)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is my ride in Doha. It is automatic, thus the hairdresser's version.
Attached Thumbnails
Doha-20111118-00029_3.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3049858)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not convince about how "manly" these convertible Jeep things are....

Attached Thumbnails
jeep_wrangler_convertible.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3049859)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I remember that TV programme with the girls passing comment on the manliness of car-types - indeed the winner was a jeep.

If you want to take friends with you to a country pub on a sunny evening, how about a Phillipino "Jeepney"? Just the job.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3049860)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
(ps i don't think jeeps are at all manly. quite the opposite. if you're serious about off-roading you either have a landy or a land cruiser thing )
Stand on the naughty step bella, you can't say landy or land cruiser in the same sentence as Jeep. How is this not manly? TW, this is a real Jeep unlike the ghey thing above.
Attached Thumbnails
sas-jeep.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3049861)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
i don't think jeeps are at all manly. quite the opposite. if you're serious about off-roading you either have a landy or a land cruiser thing
I've heard that in Amercia, the Jeep soft top has a reputation as being a car for err, shall we say gentlemen who prefer the company of other gentlemen........

In Australia we have a saying. "If you want to go into the outback, buy a Land Rover, if you want to get home again, buy a Landcruiser."
Old 27 Mar 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3049862)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I've heard that in Amercia, the Jeep soft top has a reputation as being a car for err, shall we say gentlemen who prefer the company of other gentlemen........

In Australia we have a saying. "If you want to go into the outback, buy a Land Rover, if you want to get home again, buy a Landcruiser."
Uh no, I don't know where you got that one from, but that is definitely not the case. If you espoused that point of view at an off roading or Jeep club event, you'd probably be asking for a serious fight. I've known quite a few men that own soft top jeeps and none of them are gay.

Gay men in this country seem to like the smug Toyota Pompous Hybrid or Volkswagens and maybe the odd Nissan or Subaru.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3049863)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

i'm fairly certain it was the car cher learnt to drive with in the "clueless" film. for me and many of my generation since then it's game over on the macho-ometer

that is the downside about landys. you spend more time under it than you do in it. however, one of the coolest ones i ever saw was a convertible owned by some friends in france. they hacked the roof off for summer and put a massive rollhoop thing on it, then put the lid back on in winter. perfect
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3049864)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
i'm fairly certain it was the car cher learnt to drive with in the "clueless" film. for me and many of my generation since then it's game over on the macho-ometer

that is the downside about landys. you spend more time under it than you do in it. however, one of the coolest ones i ever saw was a convertible owned by some friends in france. they hacked the roof off for summer and put a massive rollhoop thing on it, then put the lid back on in winter. perfect
Maybe in Le France, the Jeep might be seen that way but in the rugged terrain I have lived in several parts of the USA over the years, Jeeping and serious off roading is a big deal and major hobby of the locals and it's very much a manly thing to do. I see few women driving soft top jeeps.

I have thought about getting an old Range Rover and fitting it out for off road duty, but these cars have a poor reputation in this country for exploding into bits, however capable they are. I'd still be open to one though.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3049865)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Maybe in Le France, the Jeep might be seen that way but in the rugged terrain I have lived in several parts of the USA over the years, Jeeping and serious off roading is a big deal and major hobby of the locals and it's very much a manly thing to do. I see few women driving soft top jeeps.
fwiw i'm british. and a land rover here really means a defender. range rovers aren't really as serious as defenders. the 4x4 community in france is relatively small, to the extent that landy drivers wave at each other on the road. 4x4s are still mostly used by farmers.

/off topic
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3049866)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I don't mind a bit of off topic

So just to clarify:

Improper big Landy / Proper small Landy / Improper small Landy / Proper big Landy
Attached Thumbnails
RangeRover.jpg   Lightweight.jpg   freelander.jpg  

Defender.jpg  

Last edited by dtype38; 28 Mar 2012 at 13:07. Reason: Someone has been shuffling my photos!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3049867)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Uh no, I don't know where you got that one from, but that is definitely not the case. If you espoused that point of view at an off roading or Jeep club event, you'd probably be asking for a serious fight. I've known quite a few men that own soft top jeeps and none of them are gay.

Gay men in this country seem to like the smug Toyota Pompous Hybrid or Volkswagens and maybe the odd Nissan or Subaru.
Um, I gotta disagree with you there... You can't swing a dead cat in midtown ATL without hitting a gay guy in a Wrangler. Theirs are stock though, so a lift and rims/tires and you're good to go. And yes, I'm profiling and I know that's wrong.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3049868)   #12
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
I don't mind a bit of off topic

So just to clarify:

Proper small Landy / Improper small Landy / Proper big Landy /
Improper big Landy
Here's a tough one... proper or improper?

Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3049869)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
That one's made for wags (wives and girlfriends of footballers) to drop the kids off at school in. The "off-road" concept applies to parking on kerbs/pavements/driveways!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 00:25 (Ref:3049870)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Um, I gotta disagree with you there... You can't swing a dead cat in midtown ATL without hitting a gay guy in a Wrangler. Theirs are stock though, so a lift and rims/tires and you're good to go. And yes, I'm profiling and I know that's wrong.
That's not the scene out at Moab! Crikey.

These are cool, but they always want $30k to $45K for them, which is unreasonable for such a truck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item256e5ea065

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-1...item19ce8d29ba

I'd consider something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...item2a1b8754d3

Install a roll bar and a steel rack in the back to hold your winch, pull pal, hi lift jack, shackles, tree savers, pulleys, snatch straps and shovel. And then on the outside spray it from windows down with Rhino lining(same stuff used in pickup truck beds). Add a gun rack, 2 bolted down ammo cans and a tie down place for a cooler and you are all set.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 02:19 (Ref:3049871)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
...in the rugged terrain I have lived in several parts of the USA over the years, Jeeping and serious off roading is a big deal and major hobby of the locals and it's very much a manly thing to do.

I have thought about getting an old Range Rover and fitting it out for off road duty, but these cars have a poor reputation in this country for exploding into bits, however capable they are.
Serious offroading is very popular in Australia and the majority use Toyota or Nissan vehicles.

Range Rovers have the same reputation here.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 02:36 (Ref:3049872)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Serious offroading is very popular in Australia and the majority use Toyota or Nissan vehicles.

Range Rovers have the same reputation here.
Unfortunately the Nissan Patrol was never sold here until this year(Infiniti QX56), however I have worked for clients that use them overseas. I've used the Nissan Xterras and was happy enough with them for off road work.

I'm not the biggest fan of Toyotas anymore and most of the Land Cruisers are blinged up with luxury junk. The 4 Runners I've used I've not overly been happy with in off road situations, the Nissans, Chevys and Jeeps doing better.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3049873)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is one factor that sets the Toyota apart from the rest. You can drive them all into the outback. But you can only rely on being able to drive the Toyota back out again. Even if that's twenty years later.

As for bling, there's too much chrome on the latest Land Cruiser for my liking, but it's nothing compared to all the Escalades and Hummers out there.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3049874)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Speaking as a 4x4 owner and user in pipeline projects around the world (arctic circle and desert), the Landcruiser is heavy, wallowy and too soft for most uses but it is good for combined road/offroad use. The Nissan provides the best compromise in size, accommodation and comfort. The Grand Cherokee is, in my opinion, the best all rounder for towing, comfort and generally being a great work horse, recognising it is more a millenium falcon than a battlestar gallactica.

For pure offroad, the Jeep Wrangler does exactly what it says on the tin. You can't travel fast but it will go everywhere, up and down dunes, over rocky passes etc. But it isn't a good compromise car. I sometimes take it to our site offices (120kms each way) and frankly as long as you treat it as necessity rather than transport, it's ok. It's also a bit small inside so if you want to carry anything like a large suitcase you have to put the back seats down.

That siad we have plenty of sunshine here so it is good for open top motoring.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3049940)   #19
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter you would be seeing the new plush ones I presume? For the 'proper 4x4' set the 100-series Landcruiser with solid front axle is the last one worth bothering with, but we can still also get the 70-series. GU or GQ Patrols are good to, both makes have different strengths. The new 200-series has lost the plot, or at least moved away from its old 'recipe', the new/current Patrol looks the same.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3049941)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Stand on the naughty step bella, you can't say landy or land cruiser in the same sentence as Jeep. How is this not manly? TW, this is a real Jeep unlike the ghey thing above.
that's not strictly fair. you could put a massive gun on anything and it'd be manly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Proper big Landy
corrr, look at the snorkel and towrope on that
Old 28 Mar 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3049945)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

What about a G-Class. Great off road so ticks the manly box. However you can spec. it with some bling and then there is the softop...
Old 28 Mar 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3049961)   #22
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I recall Top Gear doing a special in Dubai or somewhere in that area, and asking the locals what they preferred - Nissan Patrol every time, apparently. But that was for dune-bashing, and falconry.

They probably liked a blinged Hummer for town posing.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3049964)   #23
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We wanted something to pull Evil Caravan but also wanted something with a bit of 4x4 capability, basically for race-track camping areas so don't need anything that can go vertically up a mountain.

Have something coming on Monday and will be road-testing it with Evil over the easter weekend. If it all works out fine then I'll admit to what we bought!

All I'll say is that it looks like a "Stealth" 4x4 and given the engine in it it should go like stink!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3050026)   #24
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
IMHO the only way to be really, really manly in a 4x4 is in one of these......

It a genuine V12 Lamborghini folks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Lamborghini-LM004-5.jpg  
Old 28 Mar 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3050068)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Pick Up Trucks!

Powerwagon:

Raptor: