Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 May 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1298947)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Thanks to links posted on MotorLegend, I found Christophe Bastin website, all about the gruesome accident off 1955 (texts are in French and in English).

I discovered there pics that I've never seen before, including the one owned by Paul Frère himself, when you actually see the Levegh Mercedes taking off... is the photographer still alive ? We may ask...

As I didn't find any dedicated thread about the event in TT archives, I thought it was worth opening one, at least in memoriam of the actors of the drama.

Last edited by Fab; 12 May 2005 at 17:04.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1298969)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is video footage here. Click on 'francais', then 'acces page 1'(in grey at the bottom of the page), 'contenu' to get to the index page and the video clip is on page 3, 'L'evenement'.

Horrific, and thank goodness for the safety we now enjoy as spectators, however much we hate those fences.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1298989)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To get a feel for what the circuit was like in those days, there is excellent footage of a lap with Mike Hawthorn in 1956, the following year, here, thanks to Infoscourse.org. Hawthorn points out in the commentary that many improvements were made to the circuit subsequent to the crash in 1955.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1299042)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Duncan Hamiltons book full throttle gives a nasty account of it
Old 12 May 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1299148)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
50 years on, are there any plans for the accident to be marked in any way before this year's race?
Old 12 May 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1299151)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Christophe's site is very good, by the way - one of the first I linked to when I set up 4 years ago.

Last edited by Fab; 12 May 2005 at 17:05. Reason: Edit C. Bastin first name :o)
Old 12 May 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1299166)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That Frere photo is frightening. Imagine what the photographer would have thought...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 May 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1299204)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Imagine what the photographer would have thought...
"Oh my..."
Old 12 May 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1299232)   #9
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
50 years on, are there any plans for the accident to be marked in any way before this year's race?
I was originally wondering about that, being that the race was originally scheduled to start on the 50th anniversary, i.e. 11th June, before being put back a week.

I don't think I've seen that Frere picture before, although I've read both the Hilton and Kahn books. The accident looks much closer to the edge of the track than I had thought.
Old 12 May 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1299238)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
You'll can download the film (few seconds) of the accident on Passion Le Mans too (just after the minute "3", as the movie is a four minutes Mercedes SL tribute).

And for the memorial of the accident : there was something commemorating the event, but it seems gone now... maybe this year, in June ? Not sure that ACO is very proud of that kind of advertising...

I don't know...
Old 12 May 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1299269)   #11
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
his name is Christophe

hum ...
2 mods with the same mistake ...
Old 12 May 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1299329)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
his name is Christophe

hum ...
Edited Thanks Bernard !
Old 25 May 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1310102)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Saturday the 11th of June 2005, at 6pm CET (50 years sharp after the catastrophy), ACO will unveil a commemorative plaque of the event on the starting straight.
Old 26 May 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1310443)   #14
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Saturday the 11th of June 2005, at 6pm CET (50 years sharp after the catastrophy), ACO will unveil a commemorative plaque of the event on the starting straight.
Sorry but it's not 6 PM but 6.28 PM that the thing happened...

A local journalist just publish a very complete book with testimonies of witnesses and all the problem it has raised...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 26 May 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1310452)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
Sorry but it's not 6 PM but 6.28 PM that the thing happened...
You're right ! I made a 28 minutes mistake , I hope I'll be forgiven though...
Old 26 May 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1310472)   #16
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
You're right ! I made a 28 minutes mistake , I hope I'll be forgiven though...
If the ceremony begin at 6 Pm the talk has to be quite long...

... maybe they will give the whole list of the victims, even if they still not sure of their exact number.

Didi you know that the traditional picture of Levegh's body covered with a flag is not the Levegh's body but the one of a woman of the attendance...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 26 May 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1310609)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
his name is Christophe

hum ...

I stand corrected Bernarde......

Old 26 May 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1310923)   #18
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
Didi you know that the traditional picture of Levegh's body covered with a flag is not the Levegh's body but the one of a woman of the attendance...
I wonder how she ended up on the track. Maybe she was sitting on the embankment for a better view? AFAIK Levegh remained in the car, or at least close by, and his body was burned so badly that it took a while before he was identified.

Anyway, does it really matter much if this ceremony will happen at 6 or 6.28 - the important thing is that it will happen at all, as a memento to those who perished and those who suffered from the effects of their injuries for the rest of their lives. They do deserve it.
Old 27 May 2005, 03:07 (Ref:1311236)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
]his body was burned so badly that it took a while before he was identified.
He was the last one of the 82 fatalities to be identified.
Old 27 May 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1311297)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
the important thing is that it will happen at all, as a memento to those who perished and those who suffered from the effects of their injuries for the rest of their lives. They do deserve it.
I agree entirely - I was pleased to see the ACO taking the step, a difficult time in their history but its important to remember these things
Old 28 May 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1312378)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I agree too - absolutely the right sentiments. I've seen that film so many times now and it still turns my stomach. I guess it even makes me think twice about all those times I've deprecated the arrival of the debris fencing. Short term and selfish memories, I suppose.
Old 28 May 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1312448)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
They're pictures of a Porsche GT passing up the three meters fences, and not so hold, in a Le Mans annual (in the 90')... it shows how bad could things turn, and fast... I don't like the fences, but the fact we're pushed far from the action is more a problem for me. Best place is still Le Tertre Rouge, where you're really close to the action... and some secret place I share with Bernard

No question, I WON'T answer !
Old 28 May 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1312550)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oh, come on!
Old 28 May 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1312651)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
it's a definitive no no

And BTW, you can go there only during PQs...
Old 28 May 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1312752)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Absolutely no use to me than, sadly........