Old 30 Jun 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2720410)   #201
Speed-freak
Rookie

United Kingdom
uk
Speed-freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
You should take up work as an insurance loss adjuster : I'm sorry sir, we're only willing to pay 70% of that claim for damage to your car in relation to the vehicle rear-ending you as you were 30% at fault for the accident.
Very funny..
Old 30 Jun 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2720431)   #202
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Worse still, could you imagine if they introduced an insurance policy in to F1???? Selby
I'm surprised Bernie hasn't thought of that. FOM Assurance Ltd.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 04:30 (Ref:2720615)   #203
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Having seen the video so many times, I still cannot figure out what Webber was doing so close to the Lotus when he must have known it was slower and had to brake earlier. He had no need to be following it at all in what is a clearly faster car.
why do you come to this conclusion. Did HK run around and tell everyone he was braking at the 200m* mark? At what point of the weekend did MW follow a Lotus up that straight and into that corner under those circumstances? Just what is the top speed of a RedBull vs a Lotus on that straight. RBs are not known for their top speed. The overhead vision shows best just how much faster (ie. not much!) the RB was at that point of the straight.

* some arbitrary number
Old 1 Jul 2010, 04:50 (Ref:2720620)   #204
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmonaro View Post
why do you come to this conclusion. Did HK run around and tell everyone he was braking at the 200m* mark? At what point of the weekend did MW follow a Lotus up that straight and into that corner under those circumstances? Just what is the top speed of a RedBull vs a Lotus on that straight. RBs are not known for their top speed. The overhead vision shows best just how much faster (ie. not much!) the RB was at that point of the straight.

* some arbitrary number
I like your argument, though I think Webber just messed it up as he was etempting to catch up, after his bad start and subsequent pitstop.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 07:09 (Ref:2720638)   #205
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

* some arbitrary number
There doesn't need to be much in the way of a difference in braking distances, a few metres, for an accident like that to occur. If you're right on the gearbox of another car and they brake even one or two tenths of a second earlier than you're expecting them to, you will not be able to react fast enough to avoid rear-ending them.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2720778)   #206
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, I tried to wrap up the otherwise confusing events that took place on Sunday as best I could:

Inside the Race - Round 9: European Grand Prix

Trust me, it was no easy task!
Old 1 Jul 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2720790)   #207
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully everyone else feels the same as me when I say, my new signature is much more appropriate.

Or maybe it's just a disgrace.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Jul 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2720795)   #208
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe View Post
Okay, I tried to wrap up the otherwise confusing events that took place on Sunday as best I could:

Great work, thanks alot!
Old 1 Jul 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2720857)   #209
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

A Herculean task, thanks.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2721123)   #210
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the compliments guys, glad you enjoyed!
Old 2 Jul 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2721179)   #211
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

* some arbitrary number
Well, he knew it was a Lotus, he knew that the Lotus's were lapping 4s a lap slower than the Red Bulls. From that you can determine that their top speed is lower (but interestingly not by much) but the real difference is in cornering speed. To corner slower (because you have less downforce), you need to brake earlier given similar top speeds. So Webber would have known he was going to brake earlier. He would not have known how much ealier.

So the question is : Would you be following a car that closely if you knew it was going to brake early, BUT NOT HOW EARLY?

I liken it to racing against a novice driver. You know that they may have a similar top speed (everyone can drive fast in a straight line), but you have NO idea where they are going to brake when going in to a corner. So you keep away. I've rear ended someone who braked earlier than I was expecting. I won't do it again. Webber probably won't either.

EDIT : The Lotus's were actually faster in a straight line than the Red Bulls, so their lap time disadvantage (2.5ish not 4 as stated above) was entirely down to cornering speed, which by definition means that they have to brake much earlier.

Last edited by JamesH; 2 Jul 2010 at 15:52.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2721612)   #212
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Great analysis well done!
Old 4 Jul 2010, 01:07 (Ref:2721614)   #213
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I believe that Kovalainnen not only defended the position against Webber, but brake tested him into the bargain. That is why I believe that HK's brake maps for the precedding laps should be compared to the lap on which Webber hit him!

If they are the same great he is not to blame, if not .... he brake tested him! Simples!
Old 4 Jul 2010, 08:00 (Ref:2721682)   #214
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I believe that Kovalainnen not only defended the position against Webber, but brake tested him into the bargain. That is why I believe that HK's brake maps for the precedding laps should be compared to the lap on which Webber hit him!

If they are the same great he is not to blame, if not .... he brake tested him! Simples!
Ah hey, that's just ridiculous. 'Brake testing' is one of the most dangerous things you can do [to yourself] in a Grand Prix car. In case you've overlooked it, Formula One runs without brake lights (!)
Old 4 Jul 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2721865)   #215
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Why ON EARTH would he have brake tested Webber? Heikki seems like an intelligent chap, I'm fairly sure he would have known that slamming on the brakes would have caused an almighty accident and would have ruined his own race as well as Webber's, so what possible reason could he have for brake testing him?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'