Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3229305)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FOM needs to open up the archives and remaster some of these races you guys are mentioning so that those of us not fortunate enough to have seen them in their entirety can enjoy them.

lots of great drives in the years i have been watching but the most impressive win was Japan 2005. cant say i have ever seen anyone do what Kimi did that day. during the final stint, lap after lap, Kimi just dismantled Fisi.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3229326)   #27
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Some excellent races here. Prost Adelaide 1986... Senna Adelaide 1993, numerous ones from personal heroes during the 70's and 80's....
A lot of it is personal opinion but there have been some brilliant individual drives.

Is there any one that is simply over the top...... Probably. But deciding which one is the problem.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3229330)   #28
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Is there any one that is simply over the top...... Probably. But deciding which one is the problem.
Good point. If it's impossible to decide on the best driver of one era, it's sure hard to compare best drives versus each other, but it's fun thinking of those standout drives, isn't it?
Old 4 Apr 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3229332)   #29
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimao View Post
Instead the greatest of the greatest in the car racing history is without any doubt the Nuvolari's win at Nurburgring 1935 with Alfa against Auto Union.
Cripes I wasn't even born till 1980, I didn't stand a hope of seeing that live. Is it online somewhere to watch or are you just going by the history books?
Old 4 Apr 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3229342)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adelaide 1986...

Mr Mansell, Mr Piquet, Mr Prost & Mr Rosberg all in the challenge for the race win, and for the first 3 the world title, Adelaide came alive!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Apr 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3229349)   #31
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I always suspect this is a bit over-rated as a demo of Senna's skills because making that many places on one lap is hardly unheard of. If anyone cares to tell me why that opening lap is so great, I really am all ears.
To lead the race? If you can give some examples I would love to check them out.

• Tazio Nuvolari 1935 and Juan Manual Fangio 1957 probably two of the most legendary drives, ah Nordschleife
Old 5 Apr 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3229350)   #32
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Schumacher at Catalunya stuck in gear, I didn't believe it til they released the video
He didn't win that race though in 1994, but finished second.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3229356)   #33
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Villeneuve at Jarama in 1981 was another great one...think I'll do an article on that one eventually.

Another great one....Panis at Monaco 1996. Oh no wait.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 01:52 (Ref:3229362)   #34
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottostreet View Post
I think Villeneuve at Jarama in 1981 was another great one...think I'll do an article on that one eventually.
Oh please do !

And anything about Peterson would be great also !

My two heroes forever.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3229363)   #35
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm trying to avoid doing any typical historical F1 articles while I find my feet writing, but I'm also trying to write for the more casual F1 fan, none of whom will be found in a dedicated Formula One forum I don't think.

I have yet to decide on next weeks historical article, but I'll be doing my research into Petersen's career over the next little while.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 06:46 (Ref:3229399)   #36
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Oh please do !

And anything about Peterson would be great also !

My two heroes forever.
Peterson's driving style:

I would like to have seen him in one of the cars now to see how it would've looked.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3229411)   #37
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to read an article on why certain drivers never achieved what they should have in F1. Perhaps Frentzen or Bourdais of the more recent drivers? The sort of stuff you probably need to read their autobiography for though.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3229450)   #38
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Nelson Piquet, 1991 Canadian Grand Prix.
Nelson Piquet, 1987 Hungarian GP
Old 5 Apr 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3229455)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Piquet got lucky for his last win in 91.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3229527)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottostreet View Post
I'm trying to avoid doing any typical historical F1 articles while I find my feet writing, but I'm also trying to write for the more casual F1 fan, none of whom will be found in a dedicated Formula One forum I don't think.

I have yet to decide on next weeks historical article, but I'll be doing my research into Petersen's career over the next little while.
Thanks a lot !
Old 5 Apr 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3229547)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I always suspect this is a bit over-rated as a demo of Senna's skills because making that many places on one lap is hardly unheard of. If anyone cares to tell me why that opening lap is so great, I really am all ears.
I think you need to watch it again. That's all I feel the need to say.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3229561)   #42
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

You can hear Murray yelling too...
Old 6 Apr 2013, 03:54 (Ref:3229819)   #43
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Nelson Piquet, 1987 Hungarian GP
No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Piquet got lucky for his last win in 91.
Only a little bit. Thinking about it now, it would've been much better had Stefano Modena picked up the win.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3229920)   #44
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Which race was it (a British GP?) when Clark's Lotus kept slipping out of gear and he had to hold the stick in place and drive one-handed?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3230081)   #45
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Which race was it (a British GP?) when Clark's Lotus kept slipping out of gear and he had to hold the stick in place and drive one-handed?
1965 Belgian GP at Spa. Clark drove holding the gear leaver for most of the race.
65 British GP drove to win with falling oil pressure (none for the last lap while leading from a fast closing graham Hill) so he did everything he could to hold it together till the end.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3230241)   #46
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
There's also the 1967 Italian GP at the superfast Monza - Jim Clark got a puncture early on and lost a whole lap. He rejoined, passed the leading bunch and gained the entire "missing" lap to take the lead again. On the fastest circuit around where even so-so drivers could keep up with the leaders.
I agree, this was a great drive. Unfortunately he didn't win the race after a fuel pump failure on the final lap.

I would proffer up Clark's drive at the 1963 Belgian GP. Everyone harks on about JYS' win by four minutes at the Nordschleife in '68. Well, Clark beat Dan Gurney at the old Spa by a smidge under five minutes. Conditions were atrocious yet Clark still averaged c. 112mph across the 280 miles Grand Prix distance. Now that's a drive.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3230268)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are so many though aren't there. Hawthorn, in France 1953, Brooks at Syracuse 1955, Moss - 1958, Argentina, and Graham Hill's win at the Nurburgring in 1962 often gets overlooked. Even Rubinho's win at Silverstone (2002/2003?) was pretty special. Even JB's at Canada in 2011 is a bit of a standout. Loads of great drives really. Which one is the greatest is down to personal choice as this thread shows. It's a good one!
Old 7 Apr 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3230607)   #48
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did JYS win at Monaco one year without any back brakes?
Old 8 Apr 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3230906)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Did JYS win at Monaco one year without any back brakes?
1971. Not only that, but he won at a canter and set a lap faster than his qualifying time.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3230980)   #50
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Hungary '98 was a very mighty drive from Schumacher.