Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Dec 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3695524)   #26
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't believe one bad move excuses another.
Also, it might very well have been premeditated, as Michael was slowing down noticeably in the preceding laps, possibly indicating a problem with the car.
And, maybe Senna was just honest about it.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3695592)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Remember Jerez in 1997?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Absolutely. I would love to have full race coverage of older races, not just F1, but touring cars, DTM, LeMans races too. You could argue there would be less work involved if it was simply a play out of an old master (without any editing involved).

What shows how out of touch Bernie is, is that you can buy old season reviews of other motorsport from the 80s, like WEC, WRC, ETCC and GP Motorcycle from Duke, yet with F1 the only ones from that period you can buy is a few old VHS!
Old 12 Dec 2016, 19:49 (Ref:3695598)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
I wouldn't mind the takedowns if the content was available to buy, but most of it isn't.
FOM is practically 2 decades out of touch.
F1 has an archive with all the races but are they allowed to rebroadcast them? rather do they own the commentary tracks from say the BBC or ITV years for example? in fairness FOM enforcing their take downs might be a contractual obligation to protect the content created by the networks who paid for the rights to originally air the races.

but to me it makes financial sense for them to pick certain races deemed to be 'classics' and remaster them where possible for HD release and hire their own people to provide new commentary tracks.

that i would pay for and i think the Senna doc from a few years back proved there is an audience for this footage.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3695610)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
F1 has an archive with all the races but are they allowed to rebroadcast them? rather do they own the commentary tracks from say the BBC or ITV years for example? in fairness FOM enforcing their take downs might be a contractual obligation to protect the content created by the networks who paid for the rights to originally air the races.
My guess is that both broadcaster (BBC for example) plus FOM have the right to issue a pulldown, but that in reality, it is probably FOM that is doing it. I suspect the various broadcasters who paid FOM to be able to broadcast races don't have the rights to rebroadcast or reuse those initial broadcasts anyhow.

On a related note, does FOM provide a commentary version for the races or do they only provide a live edited world feed with race audio and no commentary?

Richard
Old 12 Dec 2016, 20:43 (Ref:3695611)   #30
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if fom sell the exclusive rights to the sport in a particular country then arguably they're lying about selling it "exclusively" if it's all over the internet. "look how much value f1 coverage has, it's literally only your channel that has the right to broadcast it and how about paying a premium for the right to delve in our exclusive archives once in a while?"
Old 12 Dec 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3695615)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
My guess is that both broadcaster (BBC for example) plus FOM have the right to issue a pulldown, but that in reality, it is probably FOM that is doing it. I suspect the various broadcasters who paid FOM to be able to broadcast races don't have the rights to rebroadcast or reuse those initial broadcasts anyhow.

On a related note, does FOM provide a commentary version for the races or do they only provide a live edited world feed with race audio and no commentary?

Richard
Speed Channel used to have a show 'Formula 1 Decade' where they would rebroadcast races from a decade earlier. if memory serves, they provided newly recorded commentary and showed a shortened version of the race. it only lasted a few years (mid 90's and for sure ended before JV got to the grid).

no idea if it was just an experiment or an attempt to build up the N.American audience but i dont think any other broadcaster has tried to do something similar.

as for the related note...i believe that the only commentary FOM provides is a live text based commentary feed accessible via their live timing subscription.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3695626)   #32
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is all slightly off topic...

For the Speed Channel show, I believe they had the broadcast rights during that period. I wonder if that included some ability for them to have access to the FOM backlog and to create their own shows? And now that they don't have the broadcast rights, I wonder if they couldn't rebroadcast those? It would be interesting for someone who is "in the know" around this stuff post here. But I also assume that generally speaking those contract details and what they can/can't do is not intended to be public knowledge.

Regarding FOM not providing their commentary. I can imagine that makes it difficult for them to publish back catalog events. Of course they could add it in later, but it wouldn't be the same. Who wants to give play by play (including the fun of speculating what will happen next) if you already know the results. I can see them licensing back the entire broadcast from someone (BBC as an example) just to get the live running commentary. Or for the future to do their own live commentary for pay per view for those who don't have access otherwise and then use that for future rebroadcast.

I am a fan of opening up the catalog for something like Youtube and then pulling in revenue via the standard Youtube model. But that may not generate the amount of money FOM wants. Question is... Is the back catalog a profit center or an investiment in the future (give something for new fans to dig into)? I say a bit of both, but they probably don't see it that way.

Richard
Old 12 Dec 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3695632)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
if they were limiting it to 'classic' races i wouldnt mind new commentary. could be kind of fun if they can get drivers to talk about things from their point of view at the time, add some context etc.

sort of like an NFL Films approach...but that would be like producing a whole new show and i doubt they want to spend that kind of money.

but yeah, a lot of the fun of watching the old races would be getting to hear the old commentary teams again.

Liberty's involvement (i hope) speaks to the issue of creating more F1 content for the fans even if it means it will come with a new subscription fee.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 22:18 (Ref:3695636)   #34
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett commentating on older grand prix races some years back on Speed or whichever sports channel they were on.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3695748)   #35
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm still bumming that nobody could watch my videos. Wish I had an FTP or some other way to share these video files with you, but I don't.

I uploaded some old CART (IndyCar) videos the same night, and they're still up.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3695885)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course there is that DVD that's come out, called 'How it Was' which is produced by Formula One, so there's one way to see old races
Old 13 Dec 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3695886)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

Of course there is the DVD that's just come out called 'F1 How it Was' produced by Formula One, so that's one way to watch some classic F1 races, including incidentally Jerez 1997
Old 13 Dec 2016, 16:57 (Ref:3695890)   #38
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
I'm still bumming that nobody could watch my videos. Wish I had an FTP or some other way to share these video files with you, but I don't.

I uploaded some old CART (IndyCar) videos the same night, and they're still up.
Indycar uploads old and new races all the time (and all of their feeder series do it as well). They even have a poll up on their website every week for you to choose one. They've had a Youtube channel from the start (2005).
Old 13 Dec 2016, 17:23 (Ref:3695896)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Of course there is the DVD that's just come out called 'F1 How it Was' produced by Formula One, so that's one way to watch some classic F1 races, including incidentally Jerez 1997
nice. has anyone seen it/have a review?

its available on the the f1 store but amazon canada is saying its not available until feb 2017 plus there is a warning from amazon that the dvd is region protected. i would imagine the same warning applies to our american cousins

not sure what the policy is for an amazon link but its easy enough to find.

glad FOM is moving in this direction but not encoding a dvd for other regions is a bit backwards.