Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2724055)   #1
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the early 1980`s - British GP at Silverstone was on a Saturday, anyone know why?

Just remembering my first trip to Silverstone in 1981, but I`m sure the event run on a Thurs, Fri and Grand Prix on a Saturday.

No doubt TV ruled it changed to a Sunday race.

But why did Silverstone run on a Saturday, Brands was always a Sunday as far as I can remember?

Was it because of world of sport or grandstand being saturday programmes at the time? Or something non TV related.

Its a bit like Assen with Moto GP, always a saturday - and I never thought why?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2724412)   #2
petergb
Rookie

England
hants
petergb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1950s that I grew up in were vastly different from todays times. The Sunday Observance Society had a strong hold over what could happen on a Sunday. For instance shops could not open on a Sunday to sell anything other than perishable goods ie a Greengrocer could sell you a cabbage but not a tin of beans! The same applied to sporting events - you could hold the event on a Sunday but not charge for admission. You could however charge for car parking so a lot of events charged say £5 per car and its occupants - people on foot got in free!!! - Bernie would die if he read that. Over the years with fewer and fewer people going to Church and other countries doing as they please we eventually followed their lead.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2724437)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a Saturday up until '83 I think. The change was partly the Sunday observance and partly TV requirements IIRC.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2724455)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch changed to sunday before Silverstone.Aintree was always saturdays.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2724476)   #5
petergb
Rookie

England
hants
petergb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should have said Lords' Day Observance Society. Brainfade!!
Old 10 Jul 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2724505)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When was the last * race (anywhere) that was held on a Saturday? The Swedish touring cars used to (by that I mean last few years) run on Saturdays, but for TV reasons rather than religionists. The current British Sunday Trading Act only came in during 1994 - and is still quite restrictive. I don't think Scotland has any rules.

EDIT : * Formula One

Last edited by duke_toaster; 10 Jul 2010 at 18:22.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2724512)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
When was the last race (anywhere) that was held on a Saturday?
The Dutch TT (MotoGP) is still held on Saturday.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2724514)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
The Dutch TT (MotoGP) is still held on Saturday.
I meant a Grand Prix.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2724518)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I meant a Grand Prix.
It is a Grand Prix - a real one!
Old 10 Jul 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2724541)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
When was the last * race (anywhere) that was held on a Saturday? The Swedish touring cars used to (by that I mean last few years) run on Saturdays, but for TV reasons rather than religionists. The current British Sunday Trading Act only came in during 1994 - and is still quite restrictive. I don't think Scotland has any rules.

EDIT : * Formula One
[off topic]
There are places in Scotland that are much more restrictive than just about anywhere else in regards to Sundays. Some of the Western Isles don't even allow ferries to operate.

[/off topic]

Please continue discussion.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 06:38 (Ref:2724686)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
It is a Grand Prix - a real one!
I think he meant an F1GP-there were 3 British Grands Prix this weekend.I was watching the athletics GP last night from Gateshead.and there is a Speedway one in Cardiff.
F1 South African GP was on saturdays at one time.Also Ceasars Palace GP in Las Vegas 1981-2.
This is a motorsport forum and I have always taken this to mean events for vehicles with 4 or more wheels that come under the FIA.Is there a 'ballsports' forum that covers football/golf/cricket?
Old 11 Jul 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2724759)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
I think he meant an F1GP
Yes, I know he meant an F1GP!