Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 31 Jan 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3610292)   #51
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
So sorry to see you guys retire after a brilliant showing, overall top ten placing, stopped by for a chat after stage 6 but the timing didn't seem appropriate
It was going so well! About 4 corners from the end of stage 6 we had trouble getting 2nd gear - when it did go in it sounded like a bag of nails. We could get through 2nd into 3rd but decided carrying on would probably just blow the gearbox to pieces so it was better to park it up. Shame to end like that when we'd had such a good day up until that point. To be fair the manky weather at the start of the day suited us quite well - our lack of power doesn't show up so much - once it started drying the big bangers started coming back at us.

We were punching above our weight really so even though we didn't finish we're pretty happy with our day - we had good fun (stage 3 around Druids was very sideways ) and we caught some air in the outer paddock which is always amusing

Gearbox is out of the car and ready to be sent off tomorrow - need to find out what the damage is, we may or may not be doing Goodwood in 2 weeks!
Old 31 Jan 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3610296)   #52
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some very very good drives all round today, the two lads in the Clios were simply superb, as was Vince chucking that Beemer around.

Shame A few retired early.

The stages were a little mickey mouse in places, but a decent effort, just a shame they couldn't use the full track as it then would hvae felt a bit more of a rally rather than a single stage repeated endlessly.

Weather was fine I though after early rain, was a bit cool but had a good day out, plenty of decent cars and some great drives from people at the back, and for once the real money men were not up front all the time.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3610302)   #53
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It was going so well

We were punching above our weight really so even though we didn't finish we're pretty happy with our day - we had good fun (stage 3 around Druids was very sideways ) and we caught some air in the outer paddock which is always amusing
I did wonder why you dropped way down on stage 3

Hope you get the 'box sorted for Goodwood, it's on my doorstep. Well done today, great to see the underdogs giving it large!
Old 31 Jan 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3610304)   #54
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I did wonder why you dropped way down on stage 3

Hope you get the 'box sorted for Goodwood, it's on my doorstep. Well done today, great to see the underdogs giving it large!
We put a new set of tyres on the rear for stage 3 and they took a while to give us the grip! The rear was just stepping out under braking for Druids and then it was just easier to get it round by steering with the rear If the box is a cheap* repair we'll be at Goodwood (assuming we get in - we're a reserve at the moment).

*For cheap - read "not eye wateringly expensive"
Old 31 Jan 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3610305)   #55
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Admire your amateur spirit, refreshing in this day and age. Hope to bump into you soon.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 09:47 (Ref:3610454)   #56
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Couple of piccies - the car all nice and clean at the start of the day and the offending gearbox out of the car before we left Brands.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0940.JPG   IMG_0946.JPG  
Old 1 Feb 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3610657)   #57
oneofapair
Racer

oneofapair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One way an another quite a lot of arm twiddling then?? See pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8948.jpg   IMG_8947.jpg   IMG_8946.jpg  

Old 1 Feb 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3610663)   #58
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofapair View Post
One way an another quite a lot of arm twiddling then?? See pics attached
It was very slippy there - we passed a beemer on the run up to Druids doing the same thing - we weren't sure which side of it to go! We did make it around though - there seemed to be a lot of people going off there.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3610683)   #59
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It was very slippy there - we passed a beemer on the run up to Druids doing the same thing - we weren't sure which side of it to go! We did make it around though - there seemed to be a lot of people going off there.
There were a few others a lot more lurid in attacking Graham Hill bend/Druids in reverse as evidenced by the considerable bodywork modifications! I see you guys are first reserves for Goodwood, hope you get the car sorted, traditionally the first lot of reserves always get an entry
Old 1 Feb 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3610686)   #60
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I enjoyed my first time competing at Brands, having done media stuff for all the other events it was good to see it from a different perspective. We thought our best possible result would be second in class if the red Nova (36) of the Newtons finished, and they did. We still had to work for second in class, but I'm pleased with my highest stage class position to date (had third in class as a driver and a co-driver). Final results make it look a bit closer than it was as we got a notional but hey ho.

Matt won the "who drives?" discussion for the event but given he's done Brands before, and I'm under the weather anyway, it was the right choice. He got the short straw though and had to drive the rally car home and I got the service barge so that was something!
Old 1 Feb 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3610691)   #61
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
There were a few others a lot more lurid in attacking Graham Hill bend/Druids in reverse as evidenced by the considerable bodywork modifications! I see you guys are first reserves for Goodwood, hope you get the car sorted, traditionally the first lot of reserves always get an entry
There were plenty of marks on the grass so we knew people had been off - didn't realise how many though! We were something like 9th reserve for Goodwood a few weeks ago so we're creeping up the list - the gearbox is off to SWR tomorrow so we should know the extent of the damage fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I enjoyed my first time competing at Brands, having done media stuff for all the other events it was good to see it from a different perspective. We thought our best possible result would be second in class if the red Nova (36) of the Newtons finished, and they did. We still had to work for second in class, but I'm pleased with my highest stage class position to date (had third in class as a driver and a co-driver). Final results make it look a bit closer than it was as we got a notional but hey ho.
The Newtons are incredibly quick aren't they? That car is a well sorted bit of kit and they always drive it fast and clean (not sure I've ever known them throw it off). How did you find it out on the circuit? Having spent so much time at Brands it still feels a bit weird going flat out the wrong way down the pitlane or up Paddock Hill bend rather than down - I still think I prefer running the circuit backwards.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3610704)   #62
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, they are! I think they had a mechanical DNF recently but that's all I've known. I found it as expected, I've done setup enough times for the rally to be used to going the wrong way round but it was good to experience it and see how slippy bits (rally school, Graham Hill etc) are.

I enjoyed the chicanes in the pit lane - you could make or lose a fair bit of time there. We followed a Subaru through (slowly) and were all over the back of him but he had the straight line speed.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3610715)   #63
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I enjoyed the chicanes in the pit lane - you could make or lose a fair bit of time there. We followed a Subaru through (slowly) and were all over the back of him but he had the straight line speed.
They're good aren't they? Brakes, flick through and power out. Martin did fold my wing mirror in on one pass through - that's how he knows he's close enough apparently.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 22:08 (Ref:3610720)   #64
Suze
Veteran

England
Matt bought me DTM style mirrors for the car as I have a habit of losing them...

Just watched through some of our onboards, and the onboards of others. It was good to see so many spectators out, as not used to that (bar the couple of WRGBs we've done).

We had friends and family there which was great, so looking forward to Goodwood now!
Old 2 Feb 2016, 09:12 (Ref:3610832)   #65
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spotted on another forum...

Old 2 Feb 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3610836)   #66
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
That'll be those pesky unscrubbed rear tyres, the back end snapped away under braking - at least that's what Martin claimed (I did look across at him to see if he was just playing ). Once they'd got a stage of running on them they were much better, it's the first time we've run the Hoosier tyre, it's not as good as the Dunlops (that you can't get anymore) but it's at least on a par with the Kuhmos and Hankooks.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 00:37 (Ref:3617530)   #67
Road Rally
Racer

England
Lancashire
Road Rally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor Sport Vision Racing and Bolton-le-Moors Car Club will be running the final round of the Motorsport News Circuit Rally Championship at Snetterton Circuit on 15th May 2016.

Entries are set to open on Friday 26th February at 20:00 - further details will be available on BLMCC web site

http://boltonmidnight.blmcc.co.uk/

These circuit events are filling mega mega fast, so snooze ya lose !
Old 15 Jan 2017, 14:11 (Ref:3702721)   #68
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to the Brands Hatch stages again this year. Entry looks good again. Does anyone know when the stage maps will be available? I presume that they will be the same as last year...?
Old 15 Jan 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3702730)   #69
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks good, but when you look at the travelling I have to do, 16 quid plus crossing is a bit steep when most rallies are off season and you are charged a tenner at Mallory a few quid more at Donington and Croft.

Three of us went last year, none are this year as it's not enough for the money sorry. Typical MSV greed, same story with a lot of their one off ideas. first one is cheapish, if they hit a target, ticket goes up 40% or so next year.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3702735)   #70
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Come to think of it, I recall it being quite a bit cheaper last year. Good point. We're from Sistine so this is pretty easy for us though.

Ironically, since posting the above, the diagrams are now online.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3702766)   #71
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It looks good, but when you look at the travelling I have to do, 16 quid plus crossing is a bit steep when most rallies are off season and you are charged a tenner at Mallory a few quid more at Donington and Croft.

Three of us went last year, none are this year as it's not enough for the money sorry. Typical MSV greed, same story with a lot of their one off ideas. first one is cheapish, if they hit a target, ticket goes up 40% or so next year.
I must confess that I tend to agree about the pricing but I have a season ticket as usual at Brands so I'll be there. However, I did make both the Rockingham stages in December along with the Mallory Park Boxing Day meetings both of which cost me just £10 for entry even though both events involved some 6 hours travelling for me but then I really am badly obsessed with motorsport! Untill I read your post I wasn't aware that the Brands Hatch entry was as much as £16 which I reckon is pretty steep, my point being that had they charged the same at Rockingham and Mallory, I too would be put off. JP at MSV really should take note. The winter rallycross meetings at Brands 20-30 years ago used to be really well attended as I recall with a minimal entry fee.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3702774)   #72
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Indeed.

I think the Snetterton and Cadwell events are also priced the same. It might be something to do with MSV putting up some prize money for their championship, they only make money out of the gate, so that is probably where they get the prize money from at their tracks rather than others in same series, rather than taking it out of the profits of other events and trying to get thousands of people in there, make a show, get some rides going etc.

Harder work this time of year coz of light, but it doesn't take much of an effort, There was no effort made whatsoever last year for fans, just the usual marshal police, none of which you saw as much at Donington and Mallory.

Just means that few hundred folk who went last year will probably thin a bit more. Dumb, but these are circuits, they lever learn do they.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3702777)   #73
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a moan about this a few years ago. The first year was free and the second year a fiver.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 22:06 (Ref:3702779)   #74
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Lol, Free! Well I guess that is what you call capitalism eh!
Old 15 Jan 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3702781)   #75
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I daresay that the southern circuits figure that people will pay a hit more given the proximity to London. Let's see how the attendance numbers stack up this year. Personally I hope it's lower so I can get closer to the action in the rally stage area! But seriously, this type of increase in fee is pretty outrageous given the current economy.