Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Oct 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2554761)   #1
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
wolf sun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your personal racing biographies

A couple of years ago I interviewed Supersports racer Silvio Kalb, and while we talked a lot about historic racing, circuits, and the like, the bits I found most fascinating were his recollections of how he started out in the seventies, the cars he drove, the series he raced in, personal highlights from the past, etc.

Now, everyone knows everything about the top (and lower) drawer professionals of course, but to me the careers of all the grass-roots (and upward) racers who are in it simply for the fun of racing are no less intriguing.

Knowing that there are quite a few racers on here, I'd like you to share your 'racing biographies' - if you wish to do so - how, when, where, with what you started out, favourite memories, races, circuits...the lot!

(And no, one-liners along the lines of "I got me a car and raced it, end of story" won't do...)

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2554991)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very good idea; I'd love to see some of these.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2555399)   #3
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Or so I thought...

...will listen to some Led Zeppelin instead.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 07:32 (Ref:2555666)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Patience is a virtue. An autobiog, even a short one, is not the work of a moment; especially if you are employed.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2555673)   #5
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Sorry, my comment was made light-heartedly - I did not intend to criticize anyone, neither did I mean to sound impatient!
Old 7 Oct 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2555696)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dont worry Wolfie im going to post mine Friday night when ive had a couple of sherbert's. PLanet Rock night as well so you are in good company.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2555721)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I will see how interesting others are before I decide whether mine is worth boring people with!:-)
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2555864)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to one or two posters, I'm too inexperienced so I'll pass.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2555934)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
According to one or two posters, I'm too inexperienced so I'll pass.
I definitely needn't bother then as I've only been racing 8 years and I'm not a historic racer.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2555874)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
So, the rest of us get written off for the one or two, Peter? That's not like you; come on give us a potted history!
Old 7 Oct 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2555942)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I fear the reality is that with the exception of about 3 occassional posters most of our racing biogs would make pitiful reading!!
Perhaps it would be more interesting to hear from posters who raced in 60's and 70's asto their amusing anecdotes from that more colourful age...
Old 7 Oct 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2555955)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I started in the 70's and im rehearsing my post as we speek. "in the pooring rain loading Delta truck for Portugal"
Old 7 Oct 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2555956)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Perhaps it would be more interesting to hear from posters who raced in 60's and 70's asto their amusing anecdotes from that more colourful age...
But everything was black and white in the 60s.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2555994)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Stop finding excuses and just post, all of you! It doesn't have to be a blow by blow account of your life; in fact, ...err... definitely not! . I'll even give you a template:-

1) What started you off racing?
2) When did you start racing?
3) What cars have you raced and which is/was your favourite?
4) Your favourite circuit (but please don't all say Spa, or perhaps that should be apart from Spa!)
5) Any particular memorable racing events/incidents.
6) What was your best result?
7) What result gave you the greatest pleasure if different from 5)
8) What race has given you your greatest 'buzz' if different from 6).

Come on; it's not rocket science and racing drivers at any level aren't noted for their shyness, normally!
Old 7 Oct 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2556016)   #15
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Stop finding excuses and just post, all of you! It doesn't have to be a blow by blow account of your life; in fact, ...err... definitely not! . I'll even give you a template:-

4) Your favourite circuit (but please don't all say Spa, or perhaps that should be apart from Spa!)
I sense a great deal of reluctance here so here is the truth (pathetic though I may be):

1) Since a child I played with Dinky racing cars pushing them round on the living carpet of my parents home. There were Vanwalls, Talbots and Ferraris. Naturally I always came through on the last lap (usually at the table leg hairpin) to take then win over Moss in second place.

2) 1968 with a Morgan +4 with Lawrence Tune bored out TR4 unit of some 2.5 litres!

3) I have raced a Morgan +4 (1969/1970 Modified Sports Car U.K. Championship (when men were men and boys went out clubbing in Soho the night before a race at Brands or Lydden)), an MGA stock car at Wimbledon etc in 1970s, Radicals, Tigas, Lotus Elites and, of course, the beloved 1958 Volpini Junior Grand Prix car.

4) It's a toss up between Brands Hatch GP and Nurburgring.

5) John Gott was the chief constable of some Midland constabulary in 1969. He raced at Healey 300. I seem to recall enjoying making a observational comment to him regarding his parentage which, if addressed to a chief constable, would have resulted in a goal sentence.

6) Best result was getting within 1 second of the Nurburgring meister, Iain Rowley in the 1960 Lotus Elite.

7) Cracking the resistance of a girl that I met in New York in 1967...but that is a story for another time.

8) 1969 Brands Hatch in the pouring rain. The Morgan slid it's way around the Healeys and got up inside the 3 litre Marcos (the class was 2001 - 3000 cc).

OK, I've shown you mine - over to you.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2556181)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE]=compte deGraves;2556016] an MGA stock car at Wimbledon

Blimey an MGA stock car, you were brave
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Oct 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2556206)   #17
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Ahhh, thanks Compte for making a bean- spilling start! Modsports in the 70s sound intriguing - one of the categories I'd love to have witnessed first-hand. So many great series and cars in the UK...absolutely no comparison to the scene over here.
Nürburgring...you're talking about the proper one, I suppose? When did you first race there? Any recollections of the original Snetterton, too?

As to le crackement de la résistance, hey that sounds, errm, thrilling, too, will mention it in my forthcoming book about the racing lives of 10/10thers. I'm sure you don't object.

Thanks, too, Roger Wills, for the biog link. You're only five bleeding years older than me, and racing fabulous cars around Europe every other weekend...where have I gone wrong??? (Mind you, I do set reasonable times in Frankfurt rush hour traffic, at least in my class of car) (lower class that is)

Looking forward to hearing from Iain, too!...and all the others as well. Pitiful reading, pahh...
Old 8 Oct 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2556427)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;2556181]
Quote:
=compte deGraves;2556016] an MGA stock car at Wimbledon

nearly as brave as a crash test dummy in a VW Combi!
Old 8 Oct 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2556509)   #19
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;2556181]
Quote:
=compte deGraves;2556016] an MGA stock car at Wimbledon

Thanks Gordon! You have spotted the deliberate error; I meant an MG Magnette! In the late '60 there was always a saloon car stock race as support to the "F1" stocks. I can assure you I was the original crash test dummy in that car.

My excuse for the error is simple - we are getting the harvest in at the moment and the heat is causing the grapes to ferment before we can get them inside. Most of the tractor drivers cannot stand up by the end of the day
Old 8 Oct 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2556450)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

OK, mines pretty short and boring, so it'll pave the way for the rest of you to pipe up!

1) My late father was an 'automotive enthusiast' so I guess I was born into it, toys, scalextric etc, he was club secretary for Bognor Regis MC at one point and quite into rallying as a more than competent navigator. he had a pretty hot MK2 Cortina when I was small, previously a 356 powered beach buggy (not family freindly) latterly he restored a few scimitars, which, it might be argued, explains his untimely demise!

I really got into racing properly in 1999 when I used to help Adrian Tinknell/Les Goble with their Lotus Cortina. then built my own car 2003 . . . .

2) . . . and started breaking things, sorry, racing, in 2004.

3) only the Cortina, I'm still waiting for a better offer!
4) Brands GP, Chimay and Dijon, in no particular order
5) getting nurfed at Dijon by a Vauxhall being driven badly early on, then giving a pleasant wave when I lapped it later on.
6)5th overall behind 4 Mustangs and a class win in Top Hat at Spa 2006, or 4th overall and class win from the back of the grid in July at the Autoglym festival (Lydden)
7) Chimay 2005, made an early compulsory stop with a broken exhaust, it snapped off completely at the bottom of the manifold, deemed to be ok I resumed the race, in the pouring rain and finished 6th, without the long stop I think I might have got 3rd, but it was a great weekend, and a great race, on a great street circuit.
8) checking someones points at Snetterton gave me a massive buzz last year
Old 9 Oct 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2557469)   #21
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Come on; it's not rocket science and racing drivers at any level aren't noted for their shyness, normally!
If too long/boring please ignore

1) I raced everything I could from day one. Me (athletics), pushbike, motorbike it didn't matter. I seemed to have a need for speed. Was heavily into bikes in my late teens and got involved with a drag bike based on a Bonneville. Took my road bike a 350 Yamaha on track at Snetterton and Brands but never raced. My father couldn't understand it.

At uni I went out with a girl who had an MGB.......I remember going to Castle Coombe to see MGCC racing and seeing Roy McCarthy and Martin Shaw at it hammer and tongs in MGAs drifting the cars through Camp corner - must have ben about 1981. Also remember seeing Jimbo - Midgetman's dad - in his MGB. I think Rob Gravett was there in a Midget and seem to remember Mark Hales in one about then too.

2) It all started going downhill when I went to an MGCC natter in 1983 with said girlfriend and someone mentioned a gymkhana (I thought they were for horses) was taking place at the weekend. We went in her MGB and I won it.

I got involved with the MGCC SW Centre who did autotests, scatter rallies and organised sprints and hillclimbs - everything from 1930s M and C types to MGBs Midgets and Metros. A couple of months later got a lift with Kim Dear to Wiscombe Park hillclimb and remember seeing Paul Shannon in his Cobra just beating a TVR Tuscan V8. In 1984 used the MGB to compete in the SW Centre championship and won it. In 1985 bought a sprint/hillclimb Midget and won the MGCC Speed Championship. Got to know Midgetman and MGDavid.

In March 1986 I did my first race at Donington. It snowed. I went out with what was then the MGA Championship and is now the Thoroughbreds in my 1293 Midget. It sleeted in practice and I qualified quite well - 8th. I remember the start of the race as all the quicker cars inc a T type, went blasting past me on the run down to Redgate - I was down to about 20th. No visibility at all. Then I saw cars going all over the place, I picked my way through the carnage and managed to finish without falling off. I finished where I had started 8th and won the class. When I got out of the car my knees just gave way. I'd never been so full of adrenaline in my life. I was hooked.

Moved to the south east and got involved in driving in and organising sprints at Goodwood and did the odd bit of tuition there.

3) I ran the Midget for another year and then in 1988 I started to build the old MGB into a standard class race car. In 1990/92/93 I competed in BCV8 and Thoroughbreds. In 1994 I had a serious RTA which put me in hospital for 5 months and made me 2.5 inches shorter on one side and 1 inch on the other. It took 5 years for me to recover sufficiently for the MSA to give me my licence back.

In 1999 I went to MG Silverstone and ran the old Midget in the High Speed Trial. For 2000 I rebuilt the MGB into an up to date standard class race car and ran it in both the Phoenix Championship and the Thoroughbreds. I got a number of class podiums in the former and won every round in the latter. I thought I'd arrived!

For 2001 I bought the ex Matt Kelly MGF to do the MGF Cup. The highlight of the year was leading the pack at the end of the first lap in the first race at Silverstone. Things quickly went downhill. It was like bumper cars. Despite several podiums after 5 rounds and £20k of damage I decide to pack it in as I could not afford the damage. My last race in it was at MG Silverstone where I won the 1Hr enduro from pole to flag despite intense pressure from Malcolm Gammons in the ex Jamie Hunter B&G car.

For 2002 I built a 1380 Midget for the European FISC Championship. All the cars were rev limited, weighed 750kgs inc driver and ran on £25 155/70 Bridgestones. Over the next 6 years I raced all over Europe, with up to 20 hours on track per year in the car. I got to know Spa, the Nordschliefe, Monza, Le Mans, Clermont Ferrand, Zandvoort, Dijon, Monthlery, Magny Cours etc etc and got numerous podiums and a few outright wins. Raced at the RMU Classic, the L'Age D'Or at Monthlery and Dijon and various other prestigious events. Thank you Pieter Bakker. Learnt a huge amount about close racing, pushing a car to its absolute limit, car control and met some of the best drivers I have ever had the privilege of racing with. Did my first BSSC race at the Spa 6 Hr meeting in 2005 in the FISC Midget.

In 2007 I bought a TVR Grantura MKIII but was tucked up on its 'restoration'. Unable to touch it for legal reasons in 2008 I bought the ex Mick Darcey/Paul White FIA MGB which had won BCV8 and Thoroughbreds championships and competed in last years' 6Hrs. We finished 22nd.

I have just bought another Grantura MKIII and once fettled I hope to be out in it in ADAC and/or 6Hrs next year

4) The Nordschliefe every time.

5) Throttle sticking open in top coming down towards Mansfield from the Gooseneck at Cadwell.

Avoiding Malcolm Young's hardtop as it flew off at about 100mph at Donnington

Running onto the grass at about 120mph at Flanzgarten in the Midget

My NSF alloy wheel breaking and parting company as I turned into Stavelot on the 4th lap of this years 6Hrs: driving back to the pits on 3 wheels

6) Winning the 1Hr enduro at MG Silverstone in 2001

7) Winning the very first race at Clermont Ferrand after the circuit had been restored and being interviewed by French TV

Beating NKHTGT Bizzarini's, GT350s, Corvettes, Healeys in the wet at Spa in my little FISC Midget on 155 road tyres.

Beating the Melse and Poland 911s at Dijon in my FISC Midget last year - couldn't catch Caresani though

Breaking 11m at the Nordschliefe (inc Short GP) in the FISC Midget

Breaking 3.10 in practice at this year's 6 Hrs in my MGB with only 135bhp

8) Making up 19 places in one lap at Silverstone in the MGF

A FISC race at Dijon. 7 cars in convoy swapping places like only Midgets and 7s can for 25 minutes. Moved from 7th to 1st with three laps to go. Lost the lead to Ian Hullett, got it back, lost it again. Went over the line 2nd with 0.038s between the first three.

My first time at the Nordschliefe
Old 7 Oct 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2556019)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Brilliant stuff; exactly what was needed (well maybe not 7) but you don't have to confine yourself to answering my suggested questions, of course.

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Oct 2009 at 08:51. Reason: Spelling!
Old 7 Oct 2009, 17:41 (Ref:2556055)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Blooming heck John you,ve spoilt how i was going to tell my my story. Im going to tell it anyway .Not tonight as we have Historic FF2000 board meeting..Dear Compte your race at Missano must of been the best,2007 beating this years Laurani champion and finnishing just behind an iffy Stanguelini..
Old 7 Oct 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2556066)   #24
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone keep a blog/online diary of their racing activities?
Old 7 Oct 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2556087)   #25
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I tried but it became too time consuming. Actually my bio is here:

http://www.nzmotorsport.co.nz/conten...t.cfm?id=11667

I agreed to do an update after each meeting but just realised the last was over a year ago.....