Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 8 Jun 1999, 08:48 (Ref:4105)   #1
Peter Mallett

Craig,

This is a great site. It does something that we don't do in real life. That is we communicate sensibly with people of all ages. It also gives us a chance to communicate no matter where we are in the world. We can express our opinions in an open forum in the knowledge that we will get a response, be it sensible, comic or just plain daft. However, when giving our responses I feel that we should at least respect the subject matter and the person who posts it.

I personally try to write things that I would say to a person's face. (Doesn't always work). I don't disguise myself with a pseudonym on this site because I don't consider it necessary. Anybody who does is quite welcome to do so and I definitely don't think less of them for that. As you all know my name you can look me out at most of the BARC/CSCC race meetings when I return to the UK. The next is at Pembrey 24/25 July.

Thanks for providing this opportunity of worldwide communication to all of us. I only ask two things.

When there is a serious subject, please would people treat it as such? I don't mean pure motor sport topics because that is what we have fun with. I also don't mean Gravel Trap where we can all talk rubbish and usually do. If somebody is looking for assistance and we can't help, we should leave that subject to those who can. It disturbs me when responses to serious topics start to lower to the Club @rse level. (Thanks Invader).

Also, I notice a certain amount of nationality bashing creeping in. National pride is one thing. Jingoism is something I prefer not to witness.

Thanks for reading this.

Old 8 Jun 1999, 13:18 (Ref:4106)   #2
Liz

I second what he said. Lets keep this civilised, Lord knows there's little enough civility about these days.

Old 8 Jun 1999, 13:24 (Ref:4107)   #3
Redneck

I agree completely. Especially those people that hide behind psuedonyms. Don't you just hate when they do that?

I noticed that a lock was put on a thread that got a little out of hand. Rather than put a lock on a thread shouldn't the offending parties be warned. I personally hate to see conversations being restricted by having a lock put on them. Has something to do with that "freedom of speech" thing. Civility is not accomplished by putting muzzles on people.

[This message has been edited by Redneck (edited 08 June 1999).]

Old 8 Jun 1999, 14:22 (Ref:4108)   #4
KC

I agree completely with those above me in this thread. There is nothing wrong with national pride as well, but jingoism will always rile up everyone else. There is a term which I have used when two parties cannot agree on something but it has not become a personal matter. We agree to disagree. That way there is not reason to resort to anything personal. Some people will never understand that opinions and views will not always be seen from their point of view.

Old 8 Jun 1999, 19:15 (Ref:4109)   #5
Invader

Peter, I find nothing in your post which anyone can possibly disagree with.
This in itself is disturbing, as I normally disagree with most things you say
I do believe that the majority of folk who post regularly at 10/10ths understand each other and hopefully are the kind of people who can disagree on a subject and still remain friends.
I hope that some of my less sensible posts are taken in the right context, as I only try to amuse, not to irritate, although I'm sure this sometimes backfires.
If I overstep the mark, please let me know, words will not hurt!
As for Club Arse, what have I done?
Three cheers for Mr.Antill for bringing together an assorted ensemble of mostly like-minded people from all over the globe!

Old 9 Jun 1999, 03:42 (Ref:4110)   #6
Peter Mallett

Invader and all of the other members on this BB.

Can't think of anything else to say.

Old 9 Jun 1999, 14:14 (Ref:4111)   #7
mel

I really like it here now. Much more civil and a lot less personal remarks than other disscussion places I have hung out.

Old 9 Jun 1999, 17:53 (Ref:4112)   #8
Liz

We're grownups. Except for a couple of people who just need their fannies whupped (metaphorically speaking, since we're not probably close enough to them to do it personally) but by and large this is a good board and we should try to keep it that way.

Old 10 Jun 1999, 17:44 (Ref:4113)   #9
Craig Antill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I noticed that a lock was put on a thread that got a little out of hand
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're referring to the topic about Americans and Canadians, I thought I better close that before any blood was spilled!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Civility is not accomplished by putting muzzles on people.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in this particular case, things quickly returned to usual after the thread was closed - whereas it could easily have turned into a brawl if left open - as KC says, we have to learn to 'agree to disagree'

Maybe i'm guilty of not posting a final response to the thread explaining why I closed the topic. In future I will try to do this if I decide that any topics have run their course, or are turning personal.

Old 11 Jun 1999, 15:03 (Ref:4114)   #10
CATMAN

Well CATMAN is a tag that I use because of my business. Personally I would hide the fact that I was any thing to do with the US or move like Liz. I have American friends but
in general my experience over many years around the world is as I`ve said before the world had to have one and the US of A is it.
Just look at the news today, the US is screwing up again !

Old 11 Jun 1999, 20:41 (Ref:4115)   #11
Invader

Catbloke,
The US is a country of extremes, do not assume that what you see on the News is the be all and end all of a Country.
99% of North Americans are law abiding citizens who are only concerned about their quality of life.
If you wish to pick on an entire Global Community, make it the French.

Old 11 Jun 1999, 22:34 (Ref:4116)   #12
CATMAN

I was talking about Milosovich and that sittuation.

Old 11 Jun 1999, 23:27 (Ref:4119)   #13
Peter Mallett

Hmmmmm. Craig Antill. What kind of a psuedonym is that?

[This message has been edited by Peter Mallett (edited 12 June 1999).]

Old 12 Jun 1999, 03:23 (Ref:4117)   #14
Peter Mallett

CATMAN,

Frankly whether the USA or any other country (including our own) is screwing up is, I think, not a subject for discussion on these pages and so before Craig cries enough and closes this down. Could I clarify what I said at the start of this thread and suggest we keep politics and religion and anything where people can lose their sense of humour, out of the threads.

Just for further clarity. I made the point about the pseudonyms to hilight the fact that I have no problem with what I write here. IT WAS NOT intended to criticise those who do use a psuedonym who probably either do it for fun or for the very reason you mention both of which are valid and which I respect.

To take a point made by Invader elsewhere. Perhaps we should think a little more before we post. I just started this one because I was agrieved at a couple of things which had either degenerated to a school playground verbal s**** or were important topics that had been treated with apparent disdain.

Le Mans, Superbikes and the Canadian GP are on this weekend, so we should have a busy discussion filled week ahead of us. As somebody who is a long way from home, I look forward to it because there is nobody here to talk with who is remotely interested in motorsport. (Except for the go-kart track owner who takes my money each weekend )

If we don't meet beforehand I hope you enjoy Goodwood.

Old 12 Jun 1999, 10:48 (Ref:4118)   #15
Craig Antill

I think you're right Peter - and i've just amended the description of the Open Chat forum as such. I am happy for people to chat as they like - provided it doesn't get out of hand as it seems to have done again lately.

I spend a hell of a lot of money on this site and forum, and I expect people to stick to the rules. If they don't like this then either:

a) They sod off and start their own forum
or
b) They stick around and make arses of themselves - forcing me into closing the forums down

Please remember that I am simply trying to keep the peace here - if it gets out of hand, and libellous stuff starts getting posted I don't wish to end up in court...

Chill out, and enjoy the racing!

Old 12 Jun 1999, 15:21 (Ref:4120)   #16
CATMAN

At least getting out of hand over the Internet no one is getting killed, wounded, widowed or made homeless. Pity all disputes are not conducted in this way !

Old 14 Jun 1999, 04:53 (Ref:4121)   #17
Peter Mallett

I can go along with you on that one CAT. I just worry about the consequences when Brett's mum sees the phone bill.

Old 14 Jun 1999, 16:58 (Ref:4122)   #18
Liz

Since Brett is probably one of those computer literate kiddies, he will probably have his phone bill charged to you ...

I agree that we stick to picking on the French. They even pick on each other so it ought to be okay.

Old 14 Jun 1999, 17:04 (Ref:4123)   #19
Invader

At last, I heartily agree with Catbloke, well said me old mucker
The only thing being totally destroyed here at 10/10ths is the English language.
Weird lot, the French...eh Liz?

Old 14 Jun 1999, 22:56 (Ref:4124)   #20
CATMAN

I have a Summer home in France, so leave the French alone. And when I walk on my french beach you see ruder things than on here.
With all the French history in motor racing, it would be ood o get a few French people posting here aswell.

Old 15 Jun 1999, 03:15 (Ref:4125)   #21
Peter Mallett

We do. Florian Lacriox is the moderator for the Historic Racing Forum.

Old 15 Jun 1999, 07:04 (Ref:4126)   #22
CATMAN

I am aware of Florian, But only one French man! And as far as I see he only normally posts in his own realm. mind you he probably very busy with his racing.

Old 15 Jun 1999, 17:06 (Ref:4127)   #23
Liz

We get a lot of French guys on the Habs Chat board - but of course Les Canadiens are a French club, ne c'est pas? Besides, many of us on that board are bilingual and I think that helps. I find the French a bit difficult to understand. Not the language. The French. It is an entirely different world view, apparently.